Background App Refresh: On or off?

marcingolf

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Background app refresh.

For example if you have Skype working on background refresh is off none can't call you . If you have enough data and battery is good keep it on .

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I leave it on, but disable apps that I don't care if they update in the background, whatever that entails. Weather, podcast apps, etc., I leave on.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

Example - with BAR enabled, apps like Pocket can get the content you added before you actually open the app. When disabled, all that content gets downloaded only when you launch the app, which can be problematic with slow or capped mobile data.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Background App Refresh helps apps run in the background more efficiently. That's it! Turning it off does not stop apps from running in the background. Apps that need to run in the background do so regardless of whether BAR is enabled or not. Using Background App Refresh does not run the battery down. I leave all my apps toggled on for BAR.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Background App Refresh helps apps run in the background more efficiently. That's it! Turning it off does not stop apps from running in the background.

Yes, but it does restrict the sorts of things that can happen when an app is in the background. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I see that, but that won't have much affect either way in regards to the battery. That's what most people are concerned about. And the apps will do the same as soon as they're launched.

Maybe, but I have a lot of apps that I don't launch daily, if not even weekly or monthly, so I have no need for them to background update. For those apps, I just turn it off.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I leave Background App Refresh on for all of the stock apps. I trust Apple in that they won't let any of their apps abuse the battery. When I view the battery usage the reported background time for all the built-in apps is about 5 minutes in the last 24 hours. Hardly significant.

3rd party apps, however, I turn it off unless it is a messaging or email app. I also make sure that no 3rd party apps have "Always" location access enabled.

Some apps also don't deserve the privilege of Background App Refresh ... Facebook is one notable example.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I leave Background App Refresh on for all of the stock apps. I trust Apple in that they won't let any of their apps abuse the battery. When I view the battery usage the reported background time for all the built-in apps is about 5 minutes in the last 24 hours. Hardly significant.

3rd party apps, however, I turn it off unless it is a messaging or email app. I also make sure that no 3rd party apps have "Always" location access enabled.

Some apps also don't deserve the privilege of Background App Refresh ... Facebook is one notable example.

You do understand that apps will run in the background regardless of whether Background App Refresh is on or not? The 3rd party apps are not going to abuse the battery with BAR on. If anything, it's the opposite.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I learned something today. Still keeping it off for Facebook though.

If Facebook runs in the background, then you would want it on for that. Turning it off won't stop Facebook from running in the background. The best thing to do for Facebook is keep it swiped out of multitasking when not being used. Mostly turn location services off for Facebook and stop the auto video play.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Background App Refresh helps apps run in the background more efficiently. That's it! Turning it off does not stop apps from running in the background. Apps that need to run in the background do so regardless of whether BAR is enabled or not. Using Background App Refresh does not run the battery down. I leave all my apps toggled on for BAR.

I personally disagree with this. Aside from the fact that below the BAR toggle it specifically states it may help preserve battery life, I've noticed differences from having all my apps enable to only having a select few. It's not a huge battery drain depending on the app but to say it doesn't run the battery down, imo, isn't true.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I learned something today. Still keeping it off for Facebook though.

I stopped using FB about 18-months ago.. so I don't even have it or messenger on my phone. I dropped all social media except for Work Stuff, and only use that on the office computer for marketing. All of it is gone, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.. got some of my life back.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using FB about 18-months ago.. so I don't even have it or messenger on my phone. I dropped all social media except for Work Stuff, and only use that on the office computer for marketing. All of it is gone, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.. got some of my life back.

I'd be happy to give up Facebook. I mostly use it to keep up with my grandkids. I use the Facebook client, Friendly+, a lot. It's kinder than the Facebook app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR