Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    bluegreen1965's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts

    Default Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

    I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!
  2. #2  
    rudyalexc's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    128 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1965 View Post
    A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

    I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!
    I've always upgraded to the latest iOS but could she not press "download" it onto her phone and then just never click install? It might take up some memory but convenience comes with some compromises.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    bluegreen1965's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    That's true, that would be another option. Thanks for the input.
    rudyalexc likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    I didn't update my old iPhone 5 yet. May not. I get the annoying reminder on it. I just tap "not now" or whatever and keep going.
    libra89 likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    bluegreen1965's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I didn't update my old iPhone 5 yet. May not. I get the annoying reminder on it. I just tap "not now" or whatever and keep going.
    How many times a day do you get the update request? She is getting it multiple times even after tapping "not now."
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1965 View Post
    How many times a day do you get the update request? She is getting it multiple times even after tapping "not now."
    Every time I use the phone. But I don't use that one much. My 6s Plus is my daily driver. I can see how that's annoying. You can leave Apple feedback on it. They do look at feedback.
    Feedback
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    bluegreen1965's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Thanks, I will try that.
  8. #8  
    Rockdog97's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,339 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1965 View Post
    A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

    I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!
    just secretly update it for her and she'll never by the wiser..
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    bluegreen1965's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    36 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdog97 View Post
    just secretly update it for her and she'll never by the wiser..
    LOL, I think that would get me a pink slip!
    jobosumm likes this.
  10. #10  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    514 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Yeah I get it daily too but if it is accidentally tapped, you can always hit disagree and you will be out of it immediately.
    bluegreen1965 likes this.
  11. #11  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    609 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1965 View Post
    LOL, I think that would get me a pink slip!
    You could always tell you would prefer not to be involved and send her to the nearest Apple Store for help.
    Tartarus and bluegreen1965 like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    You might try letting it download, cancel when it's done and asks if you're ready to update, then go to Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage then delete the downloaded update.
    Worth a shot.
  13. #13  
    Damien_Eternal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    335 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    You should also try and give her reasons to update. It doesnt change much about how the phone works, plus it includes stability enhancements, security updates, and new features. There really is not any reason to not update that I can see. I guess some people just like being difficult.

    Like was said though, if you really dont want to bother with it have her take it up with Apple either at an Apple Store or over the phone.
    bluegreen1965 and Brian W1 like this.
  14. #14  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    514 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    I miss what phone she has but I know that I will not be upgrading until the majority of users say that signal issues have been fixed. Tried it and had terrible signal. Since downgrading, I haven't had any issues. You don't want her to upgrade and possibly run into that.
    krazyatom likes this.
  15. #15  
    krazyatom's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    205 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    I miss what phone she has but I know that I will not be upgrading until the majority of users say that signal issues have been fixed. Tried it and had terrible signal. Since downgrading, I haven't had any issues. You don't want her to upgrade and possibly run into that.
    So downgrading to ios 9 fixed your signal issue? I should consider that route too but tmobile/apple should fix this.
  16. #16  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    514 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by krazyatom View Post
    So downgrading to ios 9 fixed your signal issue? I should consider that route too but tmobile/apple should fix this.
    Yeah, it's back to normal for me. When I restored it, I chose not to install the updated carrier settings.
    krazyatom likes this.
  17. #17  
    SamSamSmith's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Seems no way to turn it off.
  18. #18  
    Alain_A's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1965 View Post
    LOL, I think that would get me a pink slip!
    Then we need to unionize you so she would not be giving you a pink slip that easily....Lol
  19. #19  
    oloongt's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Eternal View Post
    It doesnt change much about how the phone works... There really is not any reason to not update that I can see.
    This may be bad advice if it's an older iPhone (i.e., not the latest).

    As I understand it, upgrades can add features that an older phone's chip has to work harder to use, slowing it down. My iPhone 4s became almost useless by the time iOS 10 came out and, fortunately the update was not available for anything below the 5, for good reason---the upgrade would have broken it.

    iOS 10 is meant for the iPhone 7. To the extreme, I would even hesitate upgrading an iPhone 6 to it, if you plan to keep it longer than a 2 year contract, because it will eventually become obsolete as they continue to upgrade to a new iPhone release.
  20. #20  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    609 Posts

    Default Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by oloongt View Post
    This may be bad advice if it's an older iPhone (i.e., not the latest).

    As I understand it, upgrades can add features that an older phone's chip has to work harder to use, slowing it down. My iPhone 4s became almost useless by the time iOS 10 came out and, fortunately the update was not available for anything below the 5, for good reason---the upgrade would have broken it.

    iOS 10 is meant for the iPhone 7. To the extreme, I would even hesitate upgrading an iPhone 6 to it, if you plan to keep it longer than a 2 year contract, because it will eventually become obsolete as they continue to upgrade to a new iPhone release.
    That may have been the case with iOS at one time, though with iOS 10, it seems to run really well on older devices. It is working great on my iPhone 5S.
  21. #21  
    oloongt's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    I'd heard something to that effect when the 10 first came out and was eager to try it on my always getting stuck 4s, but Apple only updated from iPhone 5 and up. I'm still very cautious, even with my 7 plus. I check online to see what the update does before allowing it.
  22. #22  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    609 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by oloongt View Post
    I'd heard something to that effect when the 10 first came out and was eager to try it on my always getting stuck 4s, but Apple only updated from iPhone 5 and up. I'm still very cautious, even with my 7 plus. I check online to see what the update does before allowing it.
    I was running iOS 9 on my old iPad Mini original with the same A5 chip as the iPhone 4S, and it was running fine. It only had 512 MB of RAM, but it was okay.
  23. #23  
    rdstryr's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    199 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    update it
  24. #24  
    oloongt's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    I was running iOS 9 on my old iPad Mini original with the same A5 chip as the iPhone 4S, and it was running fine. It only had 512 MB of RAM, but it was okay.
    "Years of use, which are based on first owners, are assumed to be four years for OS X and tvOS devices and three years for iOS and watchOS devices." Yeah, so that iPhone of yours is actually only meant to last about a year longer than your contract.Apr 18, 2016
    This is how long you iPhone is ACTUALLY supposed to last
    Apple's website says pretty much the same thing, only in greater detail.

    What I'm saying is, the phones are meant to deteriorate, and upgrades are meant to keep up with the newer phones. My iPhone is still mechanically excellent. The battery will hold a charge for days in sleep, but it fails to function adequately when I need it. It sticks, it takes forever to wake from sleep, it takes up to 20 seconds to open the phone app if I'm trying to make a call in a hurry. In an emergency, it could cost precious moments.

    Yes, from what I've read, iOS 10 has surprised a lot of critics because it breaks the mold of planned obsolescence that Apple has been known for, so far. It's only up to v10.1.1. which is really only the original release with one update to fix broken upgrades and a second to fix a bug in the second. So, let's wait and see.

    So, my opinion is based on Apple's own lifespan estimates, not anyone's personal usage.
  25. #25  
    oloongt's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    9 Posts

    Default Re: Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

    These are even more user's opinions why updating an iPhone can be a bad idea:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...ight/?sort=new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?
    By bluegreen1965 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM
  2. how do you download music from itunes store to ipod shuffle
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 02:38 PM
  3. Once my phone is setup, can I run setup again?
    By Gerald Parrish in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 02:32 PM
  4. How to turn on background updates for macOS Sierra
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions