Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

bluegreen1965

May 29, 2015
Visit site
A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!

I've always upgraded to the latest iOS but could she not press "download" it onto her phone and then just never click install? It might take up some memory but convenience comes with some compromises.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't update my old iPhone 5 yet. May not. I get the annoying reminder on it. I just tap "not now" or whatever and keep going.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

just secretly update it for her and she'll never by the wiser..

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I get it daily too but if it is accidentally tapped, you can always hit disagree and you will be out of it immediately.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You might try letting it download, cancel when it's done and asks if you're ready to update, then go to Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage then delete the downloaded update.
Worth a shot.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
You should also try and give her reasons to update. It doesnt change much about how the phone works, plus it includes stability enhancements, security updates, and new features. There really is not any reason to not update that I can see. I guess some people just like being difficult.

Like was said though, if you really dont want to bother with it have her take it up with Apple either at an Apple Store or over the phone.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I miss what phone she has but I know that I will not be upgrading until the majority of users say that signal issues have been fixed. Tried it and had terrible signal. Since downgrading, I haven't had any issues. You don't want her to upgrade and possibly run into that.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I miss what phone she has but I know that I will not be upgrading until the majority of users say that signal issues have been fixed. Tried it and had terrible signal. Since downgrading, I haven't had any issues. You don't want her to upgrade and possibly run into that.

So downgrading to ios 9 fixed your signal issue? I should consider that route too but tmobile/apple should fix this.

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It doesnt change much about how the phone works... There really is not any reason to not update that I can see.

This may be bad advice if it's an older iPhone (i.e., not the latest).

As I understand it, upgrades can add features that an older phone's chip has to work harder to use, slowing it down. My iPhone 4s became almost useless by the time iOS 10 came out and, fortunately the update was not available for anything below the 5, for good reason---the upgrade would have broken it.

iOS 10 is meant for the iPhone 7. To the extreme, I would even hesitate upgrading an iPhone 6 to it, if you plan to keep it longer than a 2 year contract, because it will eventually become obsolete as they continue to upgrade to a new iPhone release.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
This may be bad advice if it's an older iPhone (i.e., not the latest).

As I understand it, upgrades can add features that an older phone's chip has to work harder to use, slowing it down. My iPhone 4s became almost useless by the time iOS 10 came out and, fortunately the update was not available for anything below the 5, for good reason---the upgrade would have broken it.

iOS 10 is meant for the iPhone 7. To the extreme, I would even hesitate upgrading an iPhone 6 to it, if you plan to keep it longer than a 2 year contract, because it will eventually become obsolete as they continue to upgrade to a new iPhone release.

That may have been the case with iOS at one time, though with iOS 10, it seems to run really well on older devices. It is working great on my iPhone 5S.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR