Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    So, are there ideal settings for this to balance battery life and functionality? I don't want location running all the time in the background eating up juice but I want to be able to use my phone.

    Right Now I Have:

    All are green (on) except Compass calibration, location based alerts, location based ads, location based suggestions, diagnostics and usage and routing and traffic.

    Should more be on? Off? I do have frequent locations off as well.

    Also I have location on for Siri and Dictation, should I?
  2. #2  
    xboxbml's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    So, are there ideal settings for this to balance battery life and functionality? I don't want location running all the time in the background eating up juice but I want to be able to use my phone.

    Right Now I Have:

    All are green (on) except Compass calibration, location based alerts, location based ads, location based suggestions, diagnostics and usage and routing and traffic.

    Should more be on? Off? I do have frequent locations off as well.

    Also I have location on for Siri and Dictation, should I?
    It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to operate... I have everything OFF except Emergency SOS, Find my iPhone, Share My Location and Wifi Calling..
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Yeah, well I want to be able to use it but was wondering what others suggest.
  4. #4  
    DarkKnight08's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    I have a mix based on what I use the apps for. For example, my weather apps I have locations services on all the time. A lot of other apps, however, I have set to only use location services when using the app (if that isn't an option I have it set to off). I base it on how much I use certain apps so I don't think that there is an optimal setting that would work for everyone.
  5. #5  
    xboxbml's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight08 View Post
    I have a mix based on what I use the apps for. For example, my weather apps I have locations services on all the time. A lot of other apps, however, I have set to only use location services when using the app (if that isn't an option I have it set to off). I base it on how much I use certain apps so I don't think that there is an optimal setting that would work for everyone.
    Right!...like I said, it all depends on what u do and how u do it... I have location services off for weather apps cuz I only care about the weather at my house/zip... Also have it on for camera apps while using along with some other apps...most everyone is different..
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Okay, yes I understand however specifically I was talking about System Services and not so much apps. All the stuff which I think is always querying my location which could be a battery drain if I don't need it.

    And what is the point of having location enabled for dictation/Siri? is that so if you ask Siri for a restaurant nearby she can pull your location and map it out?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Okay, yes I understand however specifically I was talking about System Services and not so much apps. All the stuff which I think is always querying my location which could be a battery drain if I don't need it.

    And what is the point of having location enabled for dictation/Siri? is that so if you ask Siri for a restaurant nearby she can pull your location and map it out?
    Yes.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to operate... I have everything OFF except Emergency SOS, Find my iPhone, Share My Location and Wifi Calling..
    Share My Location was eating my battery. Turned it off and it stopped.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Just did some research and realized most of the system services serve me no purpose. All I have on now is SOS, Find My iPhone, wi-fi calling and share my location however I have not shared it yet.
  10. #10  
    xboxbml's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Just did some research and realized most of the system services serve me no purpose. All I have on now is SOS, Find My iPhone, wi-fi calling and share my location however I have not shared it yet.
    Yeah, well I share my location between my personal phone and my work phone...that's it..just another quick way to locate my phone should I need to.. haven't really used it much since I turned that on back when they introduced that feature..maybe I'll turn it off too..see if it makes any difference..doubt it though..my battery works well.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    10-4. My phone is new and I'm just trying to get my settings right so to say and it seems location stuff is a battery killer without much benefit the way I use it.
  12. #12  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,997 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,913 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Just leave it on all the time. The iPhone and iOS have great power management. Location doesn't just run constantly in the background. I don't use share my location, no one needs to know where I am all the time. I find it very annoying when using apps always needing to turn it back on.
  13. #13  
    Mac Guy's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    817 Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Location doesn't just run constantly in the background
    That depends on the app. I've seen at least two app that under Location, have two switches:

    Never
    Even when not using app (or something similar)

    I take this to mean that unless you Force Quit those particular apps, they will continually poll your location. I don't remember what they were, but I dumped them in favor of other apps with a more granular or suitable set of options.

    Also, at some point, I discovered that almost every app I had suddenly show as On under Locations. Whether this was the result of some glitch or an iOS Update, I wasn't happy and went through and turned a bunch of stuff off. Too many apps want Location Services on with no explanation why.
  14. #14  

    Default Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    That depends on the app. I've seen at least two app that under Location, have two switches:

    Never
    Even when not using app (or something similar)

    I take this to mean that unless you Force Quit those particular apps, they will continually poll your location. I don't remember what they were, but I dumped them in favor of other apps with a more granular or suitable set of options.
    I think that even not using the app does poll the location when you aren't actively using the app but like Sting said, iOS is great at power mgmt so those polling instances don't tax your battery. At least they haven't taxed mine.

    But, the only app(s) I allow to use location services when I'm not actively using them are weather apps.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    So Sting and mumfoau and Mag Guy, what do you have on for system services?
  16. #16  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,997 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,913 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    I leave location turned on all the time, I never turn it off. The only time an app actively uses GPS is when you are navigating. The system will poll for location every so often on it's own. When that happens apps are able to use this information. So individually apps do not just constantly poll for location in the background. If an app is using GPS in the background actively a blue banner appears at the top of the screen indicating so, GPS is also only active when you see the arrow in the information bar at the top of the screen.

    Like GPS I leave all system services on all the time. I find it too much hassle to have to constantly turn things on and off. Background battery use is negligible, iOS is much much better than Android in this manner. I've never picked up my iPhone to find 30% battery suddenly gone because an app got stuck streaming music, using GPS, etc.
  17. #17  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,930 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    I turn off anything that seems to abuse it, particularly social networks like Facebook.

    My default is, if an app doesn't provide immediate and a parent benefit from my location, there's no reason for me to enable it.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    I'm like Rene. I keep most everything turned off for location services. If it's important, I keep it on "while using the app", if available. "Share My Location" was using a lot of battery. If I see the location arrow in the status bar too much, I go look see what it is.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    Ringfinger's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    Thanks all. yeah, I get the whole location being used by an app and I only have apps set to use GPS when they are running and not always for sure.

    The core question in the system services and whether or not to nix most of them to off except SOS, Find myiPhone and wi-fi calling which is all I have on now. Not sure of the benefit of having the other system services enabled.
  20. #20  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,997 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,913 Global Posts

    Default Re: Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services Ideal Settings?

    I should clarify that I do turn off the ability for individual apps to use location "Always" and set it to "Only when using the app". And I never use share my location or any app that will tell other people where I am located. But other than that I never turn off location or most other services.
    mumfoau likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook app not showing location on posts
    By mws_1984 in forum iPhone 6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 07:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 10:08 PM
  4. i have a question regarding imessage location sharing.
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 03:03 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions