Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Threaded Mail after updating to iOS 10

Quote Originally Posted by JM19 View Post
    Noticed that my mail accounts don't look the same after updating to iOS 10. Primarily in referring to threaded emails. It's just looks so weird compared to how it was before updating.

Anyway I can get it to look how it was before? Any settings I can tweak?

According to Apple this new update makes it easier to view emails that are part of a thread but I strongly disagree.

Some emails I can't find or I have to click around too much to get to the one email I'm looking for.

Somebody please help. Thank u all.
    Go to mail settings / threading and turn off the "complete threads" option. This has been making me crazy for the past few weeks, and I just figured it out.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Nanite

And make sure the most recent message on top option is selected.
    iMore Nanite

Noticed that my mail accounts don't look the same after updating to iOS 10. Primarily in referring to threaded emails. It's just looks so weird compared to how it was before updating.

According to Apple this new update makes it easier to view emails that are part of a thread but I strongly disagree.

Some emails I can't find or I have to click around too much to get to the one email I'm looking for.

iMore Nanite

The iOS 10 change to the email interface almost drove me insane! Can't find the new messages; had to read through a long long list of repeating emails to find the new posting; and the entire thread was deleted when I just wanted to delete the earlier conversations in the email thread. It is terrible and made the email system unusable. After tweaking the settings- mail- threads- and turn on new message always on the top and turn off always include complete thread, it helps some and is almost usable again. But it is still terrible and far away from the slick email interface of iOS 9. I agree with most people here - Apple really screwed this one up - making a perfect design a piece of junk!

I get email messages all day every day, and the native Mail app suits me quite nicely. As stated above, I've adjusted the Mail settings to my liking and all is well. I was using the Microsoft Outlook mail app a while back and really enjoyed using it, but I knew it was only a matter of time until I reverted back to the native Mail app. Still, for those who are looking for a 3rd-party alternative, Microsoft Outlook, Spark and AirMail are worth a try, in my opinion.
    doogald likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Settings / Mail and turn off "Organize by thread"?
    Thanks, this cleared my mess with emails.
    iMore Nanite

For small threads, this may be okay. For large threads, there is no viable solution with the Apple email app anymore. And one should ask why one should have to turn off threading just to clear the mess when the IOS 9 version was working so so very well?!!! Thx to those who suggested alternatives. I think Outlook is the best solution for me. Cheers 🙂
    eyecrispy likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Please post feedback here

https://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

Quote Originally Posted by abhineetraj View Post
    Please post feedback here

https://www.apple.com/support/feedback/
    That link is for submitting Apple Support feedback, specifically. For product feedback you'll want to go to Product Feedback - Apple. From there you can choose which product or service you'd like to provide feedback for.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Nanite

My biggest frustration was with the missing option of selecting an email then being taken to a list of each email in the thread which I could easily clean up. Essentially, when we click on a threaded email from our inbox now, it takes us to a rolling list of each email in the thread for viewing rather than taking us to a list that we can take quick action to flag, file, or delete. This may not be a solution to everyone's concerns but I certainly found this helpful when I discovered. Now when you see a threaded email you should have an icon on the far right with two blue arrows. When you tap the arrows a drop down list of each email on the thread should appear. From there you can now take action by email by swiping left or right (based on your swipe settings) rather than going into full message view mode. Hope this helps alleviate some frustrations!
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Found a solution that seems to work.

Go to Settings >> mail

Locate Threads section and change as follows:

Off - organize by thread
    On - most recent message on top
    Off - complete threads

Go into your mailbox and things should appear chronologically again. No threads
    Last edited by trojanite; 11-03-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Funny, you can tell people just came to this thread to complain. 3 people have provided the solution to the "problem" and every other reply is "I HATE IT, wish they'd fix it"
    iMore Nanite

iMore Nanite

I hate this update! Apple, go back to the old thread!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Owen007 View Post
    Yes. Apple has really messed up threaded mail. I seriously doubt they care enough to fix this. Don't hold your breath... So, can anybody suggest a really good 3rd party email utility please? Thx!!!
    Outlook is really great app with lots of features. The latest version has made it just as fast as the android version.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Carey S View Post
    To fix this go to Settings
    Choose Mail
    Under the Threading section turn ON "Most recent messages on top" and turn OFF "Organize by thread".
    Thanks a Ton Carey!!

To all, this one really helped resolving the issue. Kudos Carey!!
    iMore Nanite

Most of the previous "solutions" offered here involve turning off threading. As some have pointed out, this eliminates the advantages you get by showing threads. I think I've cracked it.

Turn on all 3 threading options in Settings. Now when you're looking at the list of emails in a mailbox, only the most recent email of a thread will be shown in the list and it will be indicated by a blue double arrow in the top right corner of its preview. If you open that email, that's when you'll see all of the emails in the thread in a big long stream that folks have complained about. If instead of opening it, you tap the double arrow then the display expands to show previews of all the emails that make up the thread. At that point you can open any individual email and operate on it or you can swipe it left or right to reveal whatever swipe options you've configured just as though it were a "stand alone" email, i.e. not part of a thread.

Hope this helps.
    iMore Nanite

P.S. One shortcoming I've found is that expanding the thread by tapping the double arrow does not show emails that are in my Sent folder. However, if I do a search for the subject of the thread and choose the "All Mailboxes" option, then my contributions to the thread are included.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,891 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trojanite View Post
    Found a solution that seems to work.

Go to Settings >> mail

Locate Threads section and change as follows:

Off - organize by thread
    On - most recent message on top
    Off - complete threads

Go into your mailbox and things should appear chronologically again. No threads
    Thank you. The new way emails are threaded are a real pain.
    iMore Nanite

Yes, I'm joining the queue to complain about the latest ios 10 amends to threads in the mail app, and I will complain via the Apple site.

But everyone suggesting you simply turn off threads does not get to the heart of the issue. I want threads, they are really useful, BUT NOT the way they appear now in one very long muddled string (and yes I have tried selecting and deselecting the various options - latest email at top of the list, complete threads, etc., etc. but it doesn't make it work any better).

The suggestion to click the double blue arrow only works if you have a double blue arrow, I don't, I'm on an iPhone 6 - maybe that instruction was for users of iPhone 7?

If Apple (unlikely) take heed of customer complaints then I don't see any harm in adding them here too.
    iMore Nanite

To: Wolfie59

Regarding no blue double arrow:
    No, it isn't just iPhone 7. I'm using an iPhone 5. Make sure you have all three Threading options turned ON in Mail Settings.
    iMore Nanite

I heard so many people complaining about this that I'm surprised there are only so few feedbacks.

Anyone found a solution that is not turning stories off?

Thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Tagliapietra View Post
    I heard so many people complaining about this that I'm surprised there are only so few feedbacks.

Anyone found a solution that is not turning stories off?

Thanks!
    Solutions have been provided, read through the thread.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12