Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Lock screen question

    So everything I'm reading says you should have to press the home button once to wake the phone and then press it again to unlock. That's how it worked on my 6.

    Now that I have my 7, if I press the home button once, my phone unlocks. This happens when my phone is on the table, or even if I pick it up, wait for the screen to shut off again, and then press the button.

    This isn't how it's supposed to work, right? Anyone else seeing this?
  2. #2  
    nolhayes's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    45 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    from what I am understanding about the 7 there is physical home button so when you press it you're invoking the action of pressing the button like all other iPhones. Whereas on my SE if I lift it lights up and use the touch ID it unlocks but doesn't open the home screen whereas if I lift the phone press the home button (or just press the home button immediately) and use touch ID it will go to the home screen becasue the home button was pressed at some point.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Raise to wake works great, but that doesn't help me when I'm not picking up my phone. So if it's on the table and I want to see my notifications, I press the home button. Except it goes straight into my home screen. Touch ID is so fast it just unlocks. I thought the new home screen in iOS 10 was supposed to require two presses: the first to wake the phone and the second to unlock it.
    Tartarus likes this.
  4. #4  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,357 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Press the Home button with a finger that is not registered in your Touch ID.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Press the Home button with a finger that is not registered in your Touch ID.
    In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it
    I only have my right index finger and my left thumb registered. All I need. You can always remove a finger. You'd still have plenty for Touch ID.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I only have my right index finger and my left thumb registered. All I need. You can always remove a finger. You'd still have plenty for Touch ID.
    Of course that's a possibility, but I'm fine this way.
    I'm merely pointing out that some people like to have multiple fingers registered out of convenience. And saying to use a different finger will not be the solution to everybody.

    I use my iPhone in all types of situations where I have to unlock it using one hand because I'm carrying or doing something else with the other hand. That's the reason I even cheated registering a 6th finger to Touch ID
  8. #8  
    Brian Woods2's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    Of course that's a possibility, but I'm fine this way.
    I'm merely pointing out that some people like to have multiple fingers registered out of convenience. And saying to use a different finger will not be the solution to everybody.

    I use my iPhone in all types of situations where I have to unlock it using one hand because I'm carrying or doing something else with the other hand. That's the reason I even cheated registering a 6th finger to Touch ID
    Not sure if this is the solution but try going into Settings-General-Accessibiliity-Home Button and see if you have the "Rest Finger To Open" option selected. If so, unselect and see if that changes the home button to the way you want it. Hope This Helps.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    Raise to wake works great, but that doesn't help me when I'm not picking up my phone. So if it's on the table and I want to see my notifications, I press the home button. Except it goes straight into my home screen. Touch ID is so fast it just unlocks. I thought the new home screen in iOS 10 was supposed to require two presses: the first to wake the phone and the second to unlock it.
    Press your lock button. It also turns on the display.
  10. #10  
    doogald's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    301 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it
    Use the knuckle of your index finger.
    Tartarus likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Use the knuckle of your index finger.
    lol. That would work yeah. But it's not me with this problem but the OP.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Woods2 View Post
    Not sure if this is the solution but try going into Settings-General-Accessibiliity-Home Button and see if you have the "Rest Finger To Open" option selected. If so, unselect and see if that changes the home button to the way you want it. Hope This Helps.
    Mine is turned off. Thanks though!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    All of these solutions are ways to get around functionality that is not working as it is intended to. I understand I can find ways around it working this way, but I like the new functionality and I want it to work the way it should. I shouldn't have to delete one of my fingers from Touch ID. Apple made a really smart decision with how they wanted the lock screen to work on iOS 10 and I don't understand why my phone doesn't work that way.
  14. #14  

    Default Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    All of these solutions are ways to get around functionality that is not working as it is intended to. I understand I can find ways around it working this way, but I like the new functionality and I want it to work the way it should. I shouldn't have to delete one of my fingers from Touch ID. Apple made a really smart decision with how they wanted the lock screen to work on iOS 10 and I don't understand why my phone doesn't work that way.
    Do you really need your pinky finger set with Touch ID? Use a knuckle! I don't recall ever tapping my home button while the phone was lying on a table. The screen maybe, but not the button. How often do you need to do that?
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Do you really need your pinky finger set with Touch ID?
    No. And it's not. But pressing the home button with my pinky isn't how the phone is supposed to work. All I want is for it to work the way it's supposed to work.
  16. #16  

    Default Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    No. And it's not. But pressing the home button with my pinky isn't how the phone is supposed to work. All I want is for it to work the way it's supposed to work.
    It works as its supposed to.

    Feedback
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    It works as its supposed to.
    No. It absolutely does not. Apple'a official guides for the lock screen say it's not. The description of the change at the WWDC keynote says it's not. You are not supposed to be able to go from a locked phone with the display turned off to an unlocked phone with one press of the home button. That's not how it's supposed to work.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    No. It absolutely does not. Apple'a official guides for the lock screen say it's not. The description of the change at the WWDC keynote says it's not. You are not supposed to be able to go from a locked phone with the display turned off to an unlocked phone with one press of the home button. That's not how it's supposed to work.
    With the 6s Plus, it does the same. It bypasses the passcode pad. It works too good. That's why they added the Raise To Wake feature. You can also get the lock screen by pressing the power button. That's what I was doing before raise to wake. Send them feedback and explain your problem. They do read the feedback.
  19. #19  
    SwitchBeach's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,357 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it
    I have my right thumb and right index and my left index registered. If I want to view the screen without unlocking the device, I merely use my left thumb. Easy peasy.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
  20. #20  
    anon(9733642)'s Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    231 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    So everything I'm reading says you should have to press the home button once to wake the phone and then press it again to unlock. That's how it worked on my 6.

    Now that I have my 7, if I press the home button once, my phone unlocks. This happens when my phone is on the table, or even if I pick it up, wait for the screen to shut off again, and then press the button.

    This isn't how it's supposed to work, right? Anyone else seeing this?
    Your only other option is to turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

    Settings, General, Accessibility, Home Button and turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474235098.111094.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	111801
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by RoscosDad View Post
    Your only other option is to turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

    Settings, General, Accessibility, Home Button and turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474235098.111094.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	111801
    That doesn't help him. That way he presses the home button and it goes straight to the home screen. It bypasses the passcode pad or lock screen. He wants to press the home button and it land on the lock screen. They did that before the 6s/6s Plus. He wants to do it with the phone lying on a table. So raise to wake doesn't work. And he doesn't want to use a non touch ID finger. And I'm guessing he doesn't want to use the power button. It's the principle of it. He believes it should work as its supposed to. My opinion is he needs to use an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    UKFan643's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    That doesn't help him. That way he presses the home button and it goes straight to the home screen. It bypasses the passcode pad or lock screen. He wants to press the home button and it land on the lock screen. They did that before the 6s/6s Plus. He wants to do it with the phone lying on a table. So raise to wake doesn't work. And he doesn't want to use a non touch ID finger. And I'm guessing he doesn't want to use the power button. It's the principle of it. He believes it should work as its supposed to. My opinion is he needs to use an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.
    I was with you all the way until you said I should go back to my 6. You're right, I just think it should work like it's supposed to work. Apple made a change to the lock screen to address the problem of the Touch ID being too fast and making it so you can't see the notifications. So they said you would need to press the home button twice to get into your phone. That's how it's supposed to work. A lot of people are complaining about that change but I would love it. But it's not working on my phone.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan643 View Post
    I was with you all the way until you said I should go back to my 6. You're right, I just think it should work like it's supposed to work. Apple made a change to the lock screen to address the problem of the Touch ID being too fast and making it so you can't see the notifications. So they said you would need to press the home button twice to get into your phone. That's how it's supposed to work. A lot of people are complaining about that change but I would love it. But it's not working on my phone.
    Seems they could have just fixed it for the 7/7plus. I think there was a lot of users who liked the one push quick open. I didn't get the 7/7plus. I'll use my 6s Plus til next year. No telling what they have in store for next year.
  24. #24  
    anon(9733642)'s Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    231 Posts

    Default Re: Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    That doesn't help him. That way he presses the home button and it goes straight to the home screen. It bypasses the passcode pad or lock screen. He wants to press the home button and it land on the lock screen. They did that before the 6s/6s Plus. He wants to do it with the phone lying on a table. So raise to wake doesn't work. And he doesn't want to use a non touch ID finger. And I'm guessing he doesn't want to use the power button. It's the principle of it. He believes it should work as its supposed to. My opinion is he needs to use an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.
    Here's the thing. It absolutely 110% works. Okay 90% works. I can 9 times out of 10 hit the home button and land on the lock screen. Follow me here. My settings:

    Home Button: 3
    Raise to Wake: Off
    Rest Finger to Open: On

    Here is the key...it absolutely is setup to use TouchID and take you to the home screen if you hit the home button 2x and leave your finger on there the entire time. If you hit the button once and pull your finger off quick enough it won't register a 2nd push. The button is different and he's battling (a) the jump to TouchID 2 and (b) the new home button.

    The confusion I believe is in the way we are describing hitting the home button. Example is this. For me, iMore is in a folder on my home screen. With one tap, I get back to the folder showing iMore and the other apps. Another tap and I'm on the home screen. Or two quick taps and I'm to the Home Screen.

    This mimics the reverse. One quick tap and release from standby and you should be on the lock screen. A second tap and it unlocks. It's all about pressure and how long you leave your finger on the button.

    It really doesn't make sense in text because your not hitting or tapping any thing. It's different amount of pressure per se. I'm just trying to help. Good luck OP...I assure you that it works after getting use to it. Once you do it, it will become muscle memory.
  25. #25  

    Default Lock screen question

    Quote Originally Posted by RoscosDad View Post
    Here's the thing. It absolutely 110% works. Okay 90% works. I can 9 times out of 10 hit the home button and land on the lock screen. Follow me here. My settings:

    Home Button: 3
    Raise to Wake: Off
    Rest Finger to Open: On

    Here is the key...it absolutely is setup to use TouchID and take you to the home screen if you hit the home button 2x and leave your finger on there the entire time. If you hit the button once and pull your finger off quick enough it won't register a 2nd push. The button is different and he's battling (a) the jump to TouchID 2 and (b) the new home button.

    The confusion I believe is in the way we are describing hitting the home button. Example is this. For me, iMore is in a folder on my home screen. With one tap, I get back to the folder showing iMore and the other apps. Another tap and I'm on the home screen. Or two quick taps and I'm to the Home Screen.

    This mimics the reverse. One quick tap and release from standby and you should be on the lock screen. A second tap and it unlocks. It's all about pressure and how long you leave your finger on the button.

    It really doesn't make sense in text because your not hitting or tapping any thing. It's different amount of pressure per se. I'm just trying to help. Good luck OP...I assure you that it works after getting use to it. Once you do it, it will become muscle memory.
    I'm not the OP and have no problems myself. I use a 6s Plus. Maybe he will read your instructions and figure it out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Screen Protector?
    By FrankTheFrowner in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2017, 04:15 AM
  2. unlocked iphone 7 plus with T Mobile sim question
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2016, 12:07 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 07:01 PM
  4. The eternal question. 16gb. Still doable?
    By Guillin in forum iPhone SE
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 03:16 PM
  5. My iphone 5 is locked says emergecy call only
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions