Lock screen question

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your only other option is to turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

Settings, General, Accessibility, Home Button and turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

View attachment 111801

That doesn't help him. That way he presses the home button and it goes straight to the home screen. It bypasses the passcode pad or lock screen. He wants to press the home button and it land on the lock screen. They did that before the 6s/6s Plus. He wants to do it with the phone lying on a table. So raise to wake doesn't work. And he doesn't want to use a non touch ID finger. And I'm guessing he doesn't want to use the power button. It's the principle of it. He believes it should work as its supposed to. My opinion is he needs to use an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't help him. That way he presses the home button and it goes straight to the home screen. It bypasses the passcode pad or lock screen. He wants to press the home button and it land on the lock screen. They did that before the 6s/6s Plus. He wants to do it with the phone lying on a table. So raise to wake doesn't work. And he doesn't want to use a non touch ID finger. And I'm guessing he doesn't want to use the power button. It's the principle of it. He believes it should work as its supposed to. My opinion is he needs to use an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

I was with you all the way until you said I should go back to my 6. You're right, I just think it should work like it's supposed to work. Apple made a change to the lock screen to address the problem of the Touch ID being too fast and making it so you can't see the notifications. So they said you would need to press the home button twice to get into your phone. That's how it's supposed to work. A lot of people are complaining about that change but I would love it. But it's not working on my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was with you all the way until you said I should go back to my 6. You're right, I just think it should work like it's supposed to work. Apple made a change to the lock screen to address the problem of the Touch ID being too fast and making it so you can't see the notifications. So they said you would need to press the home button twice to get into your phone. That's how it's supposed to work. A lot of people are complaining about that change but I would love it. But it's not working on my phone.

Seems they could have just fixed it for the 7/7plus. I think there was a lot of users who liked the one push quick open. I didn't get the 7/7plus. I'll use my 6s Plus til next year. No telling what they have in store for next year.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

Here's the thing. It absolutely 110% works. Okay 90% works. I can 9 times out of 10 hit the home button and land on the lock screen. Follow me here. My settings:

Home Button: 3
Raise to Wake: Off
Rest Finger to Open: On

Here is the key...it absolutely is setup to use TouchID and take you to the home screen if you hit the home button 2x and leave your finger on there the entire time. If you hit the button once and pull your finger off quick enough it won't register a 2nd push. The button is different and he's battling (a) the jump to TouchID 2 and (b) the new home button.

The confusion I believe is in the way we are describing hitting the home button. Example is this. For me, iMore is in a folder on my home screen. With one tap, I get back to the folder showing iMore and the other apps. Another tap and I'm on the home screen. Or two quick taps and I'm to the Home Screen.

This mimics the reverse. One quick tap and release from standby and you should be on the lock screen. A second tap and it unlocks. It's all about pressure and how long you leave your finger on the button.

It really doesn't make sense in text because your not hitting or tapping any thing. It's different amount of pressure per se. I'm just trying to help. Good luck OP...I assure you that it works after getting use to it. Once you do it, it will become muscle memory.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing. It absolutely 110% works. Okay 90% works. I can 9 times out of 10 hit the home button and land on the lock screen. Follow me here. My settings:

Home Button: 3
Raise to Wake: Off
Rest Finger to Open: On

Here is the key...it absolutely is setup to use TouchID and take you to the home screen if you hit the home button 2x and leave your finger on there the entire time. If you hit the button once and pull your finger off quick enough it won't register a 2nd push. The button is different and he's battling (a) the jump to TouchID 2 and (b) the new home button.

The confusion I believe is in the way we are describing hitting the home button. Example is this. For me, iMore is in a folder on my home screen. With one tap, I get back to the folder showing iMore and the other apps. Another tap and I'm on the home screen. Or two quick taps and I'm to the Home Screen.

This mimics the reverse. One quick tap and release from standby and you should be on the lock screen. A second tap and it unlocks. It's all about pressure and how long you leave your finger on the button.

It really doesn't make sense in text because your not hitting or tapping any thing. It's different amount of pressure per se. I'm just trying to help. Good luck OP...I assure you that it works after getting use to it. Once you do it, it will become muscle memory.

I'm not the OP and have no problems myself. I use a 6s Plus. Maybe he will read your instructions and figure it out.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm not the OP and have no problems myself. I use a 6s Plus. Maybe he will read your instructions and figure it out.

No worries. I was aware you were not the OP. I was responding to your post but trying to direct it to the OP, I wrote "Good luck OP", but meant to say..."Good luck to the OP". My mistake for not clarifying.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No worries. I was aware you were not the OP. I was responding to your post but trying to direct it to the OP, I wrote "Good luck OP", but meant to say..."Good luck to the OP". My mistake for not clarifying.

I can get the lock screen with what I call a half tap or mini tap. It does work, but one needs to practice it. Some may not be able to do it at all. Might be difficult to do like the OP wants with it flat on a table.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've definitely gotten better at it. Like it was mentioned, it's just taking practice. I still don't think that's how it's supposed to work as I understood it, but that could just be me misunderstanding. Timing is important and I'm learning to barely press the button at all. Thanks for all the assistance.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2