Lock screen question

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So everything I'm reading says you should have to press the home button once to wake the phone and then press it again to unlock. That's how it worked on my 6.

Now that I have my 7, if I press the home button once, my phone unlocks. This happens when my phone is on the table, or even if I pick it up, wait for the screen to shut off again, and then press the button.

This isn't how it's supposed to work, right? Anyone else seeing this?

nolhayes

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
from what I am understanding about the 7 there is physical home button so when you press it you're invoking the action of pressing the button like all other iPhones. Whereas on my SE if I lift it lights up and use the touch ID it unlocks but doesn't open the home screen whereas if I lift the phone press the home button (or just press the home button immediately) and use touch ID it will go to the home screen becasue the home button was pressed at some point.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Raise to wake works great, but that doesn't help me when I'm not picking up my phone. So if it's on the table and I want to see my notifications, I press the home button. Except it goes straight into my home screen. Touch ID is so fast it just unlocks. I thought the new home screen in iOS 10 was supposed to require two presses: the first to wake the phone and the second to unlock it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Press the Home button with a finger that is not registered in your Touch ID.

In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In theory that should work but I have registered both my thumbs, both my index fingers and both my middle fingers. I'd have to make weird moves to use the other fingers to press it

I only have my right index finger and my left thumb registered. All I need. You can always remove a finger. You'd still have plenty for Touch ID.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I only have my right index finger and my left thumb registered. All I need. You can always remove a finger. You'd still have plenty for Touch ID.

Of course that's a possibility, but I'm fine this way.
I'm merely pointing out that some people like to have multiple fingers registered out of convenience. And saying to use a different finger will not be the solution to everybody.

I use my iPhone in all types of situations where I have to unlock it using one hand because I'm carrying or doing something else with the other hand. That's the reason I even cheated registering a 6th finger to Touch ID

Brian Woods2

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Of course that's a possibility, but I'm fine this way.
I'm merely pointing out that some people like to have multiple fingers registered out of convenience. And saying to use a different finger will not be the solution to everybody.

I use my iPhone in all types of situations where I have to unlock it using one hand because I'm carrying or doing something else with the other hand. That's the reason I even cheated registering a 6th finger to Touch ID

Not sure if this is the solution but try going into Settings-General-Accessibiliity-Home Button and see if you have the "Rest Finger To Open" option selected. If so, unselect and see if that changes the home button to the way you want it. Hope This Helps.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Raise to wake works great, but that doesn't help me when I'm not picking up my phone. So if it's on the table and I want to see my notifications, I press the home button. Except it goes straight into my home screen. Touch ID is so fast it just unlocks. I thought the new home screen in iOS 10 was supposed to require two presses: the first to wake the phone and the second to unlock it.

Press your lock button. It also turns on the display.

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is the solution but try going into Settings-General-Accessibiliity-Home Button and see if you have the "Rest Finger To Open" option selected. If so, unselect and see if that changes the home button to the way you want it. Hope This Helps.
Mine is turned off. Thanks though!

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
All of these solutions are ways to get around functionality that is not working as it is intended to. I understand I can find ways around it working this way, but I like the new functionality and I want it to work the way it should. I shouldn't have to delete one of my fingers from Touch ID. Apple made a really smart decision with how they wanted the lock screen to work on iOS 10 and I don't understand why my phone doesn't work that way.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All of these solutions are ways to get around functionality that is not working as it is intended to. I understand I can find ways around it working this way, but I like the new functionality and I want it to work the way it should. I shouldn't have to delete one of my fingers from Touch ID. Apple made a really smart decision with how they wanted the lock screen to work on iOS 10 and I don't understand why my phone doesn't work that way.

Do you really need your pinky finger set with Touch ID? Use a knuckle! I don't recall ever tapping my home button while the phone was lying on a table. The screen maybe, but not the button. How often do you need to do that?

UKFan643

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It works as its supposed to.
No. It absolutely does not. Apple'a official guides for the lock screen say it's not. The description of the change at the WWDC keynote says it's not. You are not supposed to be able to go from a locked phone with the display turned off to an unlocked phone with one press of the home button. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No. It absolutely does not. Apple'a official guides for the lock screen say it's not. The description of the change at the WWDC keynote says it's not. You are not supposed to be able to go from a locked phone with the display turned off to an unlocked phone with one press of the home button. That's not how it's supposed to work.

With the 6s Plus, it does the same. It bypasses the passcode pad. It works too good. That's why they added the Raise To Wake feature. You can also get the lock screen by pressing the power button. That's what I was doing before raise to wake. Send them feedback and explain your problem. They do read the feedback.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have my right thumb and right index and my left index registered. If I want to view the screen without unlocking the device, I merely use my left thumb. Easy peasy.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
So everything I'm reading says you should have to press the home button once to wake the phone and then press it again to unlock. That's how it worked on my 6.

Now that I have my 7, if I press the home button once, my phone unlocks. This happens when my phone is on the table, or even if I pick it up, wait for the screen to shut off again, and then press the button.

This isn't how it's supposed to work, right? Anyone else seeing this?

Your only other option is to turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

Settings, General, Accessibility, Home Button and turn off Rest Finger to Wake.

IMG_1474235098.111094.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR