Notifications now wake screen in iOS 10

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Before, notifications would leave the screen black, but pop up a subtle banner, then go away. Now, when a notification comes in, the screen wakes up along with the notification. The problem is that at night, when the screen wakes, it keeps me from falling asleep.

Is there a way to get it to Afro like before 10?

I know the DND, but I don't want to use that for fear of missing a call or important text.

Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
About missing a call, I have DND set to let phone calls through no matter what.
And if a text is important enough during night time, let them call me. A text is not important by definition to me.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Not true. All 3 iPhones in my house used to do the same things. Notification would pop up, while leaving the rest of the screen black.

Not on my iPhone. The screen would always come on with the notification just like SprSynJn.

The only exception is if I was wearing my Apple watch. The notifications would goto the watch and the iPhone wouldn't show anything.

But if my watch was on the charger or out of range, all notifications will light the screen. This was on IOS 9 as well.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Not true. All 3 iPhones in my house used to do the same things. Notification would pop up, while leaving the rest of the screen black.

I don't understand what you mean by the last part of that reply. Leaving the rest of the screen black? Odd question, but are you sure you're using an iPhone?

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean by the last part of that reply. Leaving the rest of the screen black? Odd question, but are you sure you're using an iPhone?

Yes, using iphones. iphone 5s, iphone6+, iphone6

What I mean is that other than the bubble/window popping up for the notification, the rest of the unused screen remains black (as in, it doesn't show the wallpaper. time, anything else. Just the notification)

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, using iphones. iphone 5s, iphone6+, iphone6

What I mean is that other than the bubble/window popping up for the notification, the rest of the unused screen remains black (as in, it doesn't show the wallpaper. time, anything else. Just the notification)

I see what you mean now. You might be referring to iOS 10's new notifications view. The background is now visible when before it wasn't. Anyway you could post a screen shot?

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I edited my last post after you quoted me. Sorry. Could you post a screen shot of what it looks like now without any private information shown?

AndyM72

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
There's no getting away from the new lighter coloured Notifications banners. Yes, the iOS 9 way was light text on a blurred, darkened version of your lock screen wallpaper. In iOS 10 they are proper banners, light with black text. I'm guessing they are designed that way to make new users realise they are active items, you can activate and respond to them.

All I can suggest is edit your lock screen wallpaper and make it much darker.

As for "the rest of the unused screen remains black (as in, it doesn't show the wallpaper. time, anything else. Just the notification)", even your own example screenshot shows that's not true. But it was a lot darker than now.

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Andy, there are other examples out there where it is all black. I just grabbed a random one from GIS.

However, good idea on lock screen wallpaper! I always set both to the same wallpaper, that I forgot you can choose a different one. Thanks!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Before, notifications would leave the screen black, but pop up a subtle banner, then go away. Now, when a notification comes in, the screen wakes up along with the notification. The problem is that at night, when the screen wakes, it keeps me from falling asleep.

Is there a way to get it to Afro like before 10?

I know the DND, but I don't want to use that for fear of missing a call or important text.

Thanks!

Put the phone face down on the nightstand.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It stands upright in an ihome dock/radio

Get a piece of black card stock (probably 99 cents) from Hobby Lobby and cut it and fold it to fit over the front face of the phone.

Edit: Took longer to get the image off my DSLR and resize it than to cut the paper and fold it lol. At any rate, pretend it's black card stock. ;)

DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh