Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Default Re: iOS 10 notification sounds messed up

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Ok so this morning I downloaded updates for FB messenger and Snapchat and immediately both of those notification sounds reverted to the tri-tone sound.
    I bet they stay that way until you completely uninstall/reinstall the app. Rebooting never worked for me. At this point when I see an update for an app that uses notification sounds, I don't even bother updating it. I completely uninstall/reinstall it so my sounds continue to work.

I'm hoping 10.1, that is in beta now, addresses the issue.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    17,826 Global Posts

Yes! My Facebook Messenger notification changed to Tri-tone. I liked the old notification. I did a reboot and it fixed it for a while than reverted back.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    17,826 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
    As I mentioned in a prior post, try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app with the wrongs sounds. It a PITA but it seems to always work for me.

The issue is, when the app is updated, the sound reverts back to being wrong, thus requiring the same uninstall/reinstall yet again.
    Deleting and reinstalling worked for me. Thanks! For the record, I updated OTA.
    iMore Nanite

I got the same thing instantly. Seems all app notification tones are the same now. I do not see anywhere the specific tone for specific apps can even be changed. This does NOT work for me as I rely on that specific tone for a specific app so if I hear it all the time, it screws my program. So I have to turn everything off but the one I want it on. Bloody annoying indeed.
    iMore Nanite

As a follow up. I saw on an apple forum someone responded with a suggestion to do a hard restart (Home and Power button at the same time till the apple symbol appears). I did it and it worked!! Wanted to share.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Same issues here, deleted and reinstalled apps that had different motivation sounds and same result as before, they all have the Tritons sound. Also did a hard restart and that also didn't help.
    iMore Newbie

Deleting and reinstalling the app like doing a hard reset, only works until there is an update to the APP. Once the app is updated, the default tone reverts back to Tri-Tone. Again, this is an iOS10 bug which was not fixed in 10.0.2.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

I am experiencing this issue on my iPhone 5, 6, and 7. It's a bug with iOS 10. Every time I get an app update the notification sound reverts to the Tri-tone. Very annoying. Deleting the app completely and downloading again does not fix it either.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
    I bet they stay that way until you completely uninstall/reinstall the app. Rebooting never worked for me. At this point when I see an update for an app that uses notification sounds, I don't even bother updating it. I completely uninstall/reinstall it so my sounds continue to work.

I'm hoping 10.1, that is in beta now, addresses the issue.
    Rebooting the phone fixes it. Until there is another update. Then it's back to the tri-tone sound and I have to reboot again.
    iMore Nanite

Thank you so much! Rebooting worked for me, too!
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by PureView View Post
    Has anyone noticed for apps like Whatsapp and FB Messenger, the messages and call notifications sounds are the same tri-tone messaging sounds from the built in iMessages app? This is very annoying.
    I had the same problem.. open whatsapp then go to settings then notifications. Change the tone then restart your iPhone.. It worked for me
    iMore Newbie

Yes, we all know rebooting works. Deleting and reinstalling the app works too. Both of these work around's work until the app is updated again. Once the app is updated, it reverts to the tri-tone alert regardless of which alert you have selected. And then a reboot is needed again.
    Hoping apple fixes this is next iOS update.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Rebooting doesn't even work for me on my IPad.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

Hopefully they address this with v10.1 update. It's still happening to me every time I update an app.
    iMore Pro

Have the same problem. Hopefully  addresses it in a future update.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by carrickfergus View Post
    I've noticed some strange sound substitutions as well. The new ESPN app uses tri-tone instead of the mini ESPN theme (which frankly I find annoying, but at least you know what's coming in). My iMessages are fine. Haven't used What's App yet. Anyone else having the issue with ESPN?
    Yes mine is doing the tri-tone as well which I think is stupid.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

As somebody correctly pointed out, notification sound works fine until the app is updated. Then it reverts back to the annoying tritone. Almost all my apps have that annoying sound now so it's very difficult to discern from the sound from which app the notification came. I need to wake up my phone and check the screen everytime. Plus, I hate sound!

Really hoping Apple solves this in the next update. ASAP please!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

I just did hard reboot too. Hope it fix this
    Banned

I've been bothered by its notifications when I am playing games! Why do I have to swipe down to open it then close it !
    iMore Nanite

oooo... I just tried this and then sent a test email... so at least for my email program it worked... waiting to see as other things come in if all the sounds are corrected! thank you!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Downloaded the software update 10.1 and notification alerts weren't fixed with the update.
    iMore Nanite

I have tried everything and never had a problem until latest update. I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing works. I did get a banner but not all the time. My settings are correct. Maybe the next update will correct this stupid problem.

Quote Originally Posted by leftpower7247 View Post
    I have tried everything and never had a problem until latest update. I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing works. I did get a banner but not all the time. My settings are correct. Maybe the next update will correct this stupid problem.
    Can you not go to Settings → General → Reset, and then select "Reset All Settings", and then test your notification sounds?
    iMore Nanite

Hi there,

I experienced the exact same issue. Eventually out of desperation I went into whatsapp settings > notifications and reselected the tone I wanted which in my case was the default tone (it was already selected but I selected it again). This seems to have reverted the tone to the one I want.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Hi Folks,

had this issue after upgrading from iOS 9 to 10. Only rebooting fixed it until an App has been updated. Surprisingly the issue is gone after upgrading my 6S to 10.1. My Apps are getting updated and the notification tone is as selected and doesn't changed back to Tri-Tone anymore. Are there more users noticed this strange behaviour?

Greetings
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast