What is Apple thinking with iMessage?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
With these iMessage options including animations, emojis and everything, does this start becoming less of a tool to use for business? I can't imagine a senior level person getting balloons and laser texts while trying to close a deal.

It doesn't send all the messages that way.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
With these iMessage options including animations, emojis and everything, does this start becoming less of a tool to use for business? I can't imagine a senior level person getting balloons and laser texts while trying to close a deal.
Don't underestimate those people, they're human too, with real feelings.
Could even be a nice ice breaker when closing a deal, you'll never know.

bld75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't send all the messages that way.

OK...thanks robertk328. My biggest worry is that we finally were able to move away from the BB at work. Of course, everybody had two phones, which was a pain. So I had BB and iPhone. So given the opportunity, I was able to merge work stuff onto the iPhone. Since this has been a battle for such a long with with the boss, if he sees balloons coming up on the screen, he will immediately think the iPhone is a toy and not for business (keep in mind he's old school...and very stubborn).

Is there a way to turn off receiving any of it? And just receive regular iMessages like pre-iOS 10? I haven't upgraded to iOS 10 yet, so I'm not sure of all the switches and toggles we can play with.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK...thanks robertk328. My biggest worry is that we finally were able to move away from the BB at work. Of course, everybody had two phones, which was a pain. So I had BB and iPhone. So given the opportunity, I was able to merge work stuff onto the iPhone. Since this has been a battle for such a long with with the boss, if he sees balloons coming up on the screen, he will immediately think the iPhone is a toy and not for business (keep in mind he's old school...and very stubborn).

Is there a way to turn off receiving any of it? And just receive regular iMessages like pre-iOS 10? I haven't upgraded to iOS 10 yet, so I'm not sure of all the switches and toggles we can play with.

Understand your point. :) Just make sure you don't send them that way.

You can't really turn it off -- in a way. You can enable Reduce Motion in settings, but it will still say "(sent with fireworks)", etc.

bld75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Understand your point. :) Just make sure you don't send them that way.

You can't really turn it off -- in a way. You can enable Reduce Motion in settings, but it will still say "(sent with fireworks)", etc.

OK. But if it just says "sent with fireworks", that's not a problem. He can't read that sitting in a meeting. Haha. But he would definitely see colors and the screen blinking and stuff.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this a month. I don't see anything send I don't want to. Which effect or option do you refer to that sends without your approval?

Looks like every thing in the draw window will send without actually pressing send, except when you actually draw something. For example, kiss, pulse, heart beat or break, etc will send automatically.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. But if it just says "sent with fireworks", that's not a problem. He can't read that sitting in a meeting. Haha. But he would definitely see colors and the screen blinking and stuff.

That kind of thing won't show up on the screen during a meeting, unless you're actually looking at messages. They don't appear on the lock screen or anything.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like every thing in the draw window will send without actually pressing send, except when you actually draw something. For example, kiss, pulse, heart beat or break, etc will send automatically.

Somewhat related, but there is no confirmation before sending on Apple Watch either. This include drawings.

Try doing a digital heartbeat. It auto sends when you lift your fingers. No way to approve to send before it sends.

You're right about those. I haven't sent many of those at all, except at the very beginning to test, but I do some drawings, etc. Turn it sideways and do some writing, which will also wait for you to press send.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You refer to on the watch. I don't see anything on iPhone that does that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't mind it. If I want to correct, I will send the correct one, tell the other person(s) to disregard the previous one and continue with the conversation.
Frankly, everybody I'm using those gimmicks with are in to Apple like I am, so they don't mind it.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't necessarily bother me either, but it's just odd that you can cancel some things and not others. It should be more consistent, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh