With these iMessage options including animations, emojis and everything, does this start becoming less of a tool to use for business? I can't imagine a senior level person getting balloons and laser texts while trying to close a deal.
    Don't underestimate those people, they're human too, with real feelings.
    Could even be a nice ice breaker when closing a deal, you'll never know.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-14-2016 05:55 PM
    Don't underestimate those people, they're human too, with real feelings.
    Could even be a nice ice breaker when closing a deal, you'll never know.
    Haha...true.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-14-2016 06:58 PM
    It doesn't send all the messages that way.
    OK...thanks robertk328. My biggest worry is that we finally were able to move away from the BB at work. Of course, everybody had two phones, which was a pain. So I had BB and iPhone. So given the opportunity, I was able to merge work stuff onto the iPhone. Since this has been a battle for such a long with with the boss, if he sees balloons coming up on the screen, he will immediately think the iPhone is a toy and not for business (keep in mind he's old school...and very stubborn).

Is there a way to turn off receiving any of it? And just receive regular iMessages like pre-iOS 10? I haven't upgraded to iOS 10 yet, so I'm not sure of all the switches and toggles we can play with.
    09-14-2016 07:03 PM
    OK...thanks robertk328. My biggest worry is that we finally were able to move away from the BB at work. Of course, everybody had two phones, which was a pain. So I had BB and iPhone. So given the opportunity, I was able to merge work stuff onto the iPhone. Since this has been a battle for such a long with with the boss, if he sees balloons coming up on the screen, he will immediately think the iPhone is a toy and not for business (keep in mind he's old school...and very stubborn).

Is there a way to turn off receiving any of it? And just receive regular iMessages like pre-iOS 10? I haven't upgraded to iOS 10 yet, so I'm not sure of all the switches and toggles we can play with.
    Understand your point. Just make sure you don't send them that way.

You can't really turn it off -- in a way. You can enable Reduce Motion in settings, but it will still say "(sent with fireworks)", etc.
    09-14-2016 07:08 PM
    Understand your point. Just make sure you don't send them that way.

You can't really turn it off -- in a way. You can enable Reduce Motion in settings, but it will still say "(sent with fireworks)", etc.
    OK. But if it just says "sent with fireworks", that's not a problem. He can't read that sitting in a meeting. Haha. But he would definitely see colors and the screen blinking and stuff.
    09-14-2016 07:15 PM
    Try doing a digital heartbeat. It auto sends when you lift your fingers. No way to approve to send before it sends.
    09-14-2016 08:42 PM
    I've been using this a month. I don't see anything send I don't want to. Which effect or option do you refer to that sends without your approval?
    Looks like every thing in the draw window will send without actually pressing send, except when you actually draw something. For example, kiss, pulse, heart beat or break, etc will send automatically.

Edited for clarification.
    Last edited by diggity; 09-14-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    scruffypig likes this.
    09-14-2016 08:54 PM
    Somewhat related, but there is no confirmation before sending on Apple Watch either. This include drawings.
    09-14-2016 09:05 PM
    OK. But if it just says "sent with fireworks", that's not a problem. He can't read that sitting in a meeting. Haha. But he would definitely see colors and the screen blinking and stuff.
    That kind of thing won't show up on the screen during a meeting, unless you're actually looking at messages. They don't appear on the lock screen or anything.
    09-15-2016 04:49 AM
    Looks like every thing in the draw window will send without actually pressing send, except when you actually draw something. For example, kiss, pulse, heart beat or break, etc will send automatically.

Somewhat related, but there is no confirmation before sending on Apple Watch either. This include drawings.
    Try doing a digital heartbeat. It auto sends when you lift your fingers. No way to approve to send before it sends.
    You're right about those. I haven't sent many of those at all, except at the very beginning to test, but I do some drawings, etc. Turn it sideways and do some writing, which will also wait for you to press send.
    scruffypig likes this.
    09-15-2016 04:50 AM

You refer to on the watch. I don't see anything on iPhone that does that.
    09-15-2016 10:44 AM
    You refer to on the watch. I don't see anything on iPhone that does that.
    Look again. Everything I mentioned above (heart, heart break, pulse, tap, kiss) will send automatically without approval on the iPhone.
    09-15-2016 11:31 AM
    Personally I don't mind it. If I want to correct, I will send the correct one, tell the other person(s) to disregard the previous one and continue with the conversation.
    Frankly, everybody I'm using those gimmicks with are in to Apple like I am, so they don't mind it.
    09-15-2016 11:51 AM
    It doesn't necessarily bother me either, but it's just odd that you can cancel some things and not others. It should be more consistent, in my opinion.
    robertk328 likes this.
    09-15-2016 11:56 AM
    It doesn't necessarily bother me either, but it's just odd that you can cancel some things and not others. It should be more consistent, in my opinion.
    watchOS 2 was like that with the sketches. Sometimes I wanted to cancel and re-draw.
    09-15-2016 12:27 PM
    Look again. Everything I mentioned above (heart, heart break, pulse, tap, kiss) will send automatically without approval on the iPhone.
    I don't do that stuff on my phone. So IDK about that. But the new iMessage effects and stickers don't. Not any I've used. That's what I thought you referred to at first.
    09-15-2016 01:54 PM
    Instead of making a new thread; Can someone explain the app store for iMessage. I don't get it. Like ESPN, Buzzfeed, and a bunch of apps are in there but I don't understand what you do with them.
    09-15-2016 02:13 PM
    the ONE THING i dislike about the new iMsg, is the fact that i have to keep Reduce Motion off in order to see the cool new effects. Other than that, who wants to play connect four through iMsg? lol
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-15-2016 02:21 PM
    Instead of making a new thread; Can someone explain the app store for iMessage. I don't get it. Like ESPN, Buzzfeed, and a bunch of apps are in there but I don't understand what you do with them.

While in an iMessage click on the icon that looks like an A. Down on the very bottom in the middle is an icon of a timer and a dot. Click those and you'll either see the cursive text or some of the things you've downloaded from that store (swipe left or right). That's where you use them. I have the weather app, so if I tap on one of them it will send the weather in my text message.
    jenni122701 likes this.
    09-15-2016 02:24 PM
    the ONE THING i dislike about the new iMsg, is the fact that i have to keep Reduce Motion off in order to see the cool new effects. Other than that, who wants to play connect four through iMsg? lol
    Definitely. I much prefer reduce motion ON but still want the effects!
    Tartarus and Ariza16 like this.
    09-15-2016 07:49 PM
    Some are games you can play with contacts in the messages app. Some are stickers you can send in text. Many are animated.
    Tap on the App Store icon in the messages app.

Tap the 4 dots in the lower left corner

Tap the + to go to the App Store for iMessage apps and stickers.
    09-15-2016 08:35 PM
    It's just too busy and messy for my liking. Not the minimalistic Apple design that I like.

With WhatsApp throwing everyone's privacy to the dogs (well, to Facebook), there aren't that many good messaging apps around. iMessage was nice as it was, but it just feels "overcrowded" now.

I use Signal (the end-to-end encrypted messaging app, which had the encryption technology that was later provided to WhatsApp) with close friends and family. I like it a lot because it is a simple, uncomplicated interface and nobody is selling your contact info to anybody. The problem is that this is an app known to only about nine people, so I have to use iMessage from time to time when someone sends an SMS.
    BreakingKayfabe and Chrisy like this.
    09-15-2016 09:36 PM
    It's just too busy and messy for my liking. Not the minimalistic Apple design that I like.

With WhatsApp throwing everyone's privacy to the dogs (well, to Facebook), there aren't that many good messaging apps around. iMessage was nice as it was, but it just feels "overcrowded" now.

I use Signal (the end-to-end encrypted messaging app, which had the encryption technology that was later provided to WhatsApp) with close friends and family. I like it a lot because it is a simple, uncomplicated interface and nobody is selling your contact info to anybody. The problem is that this is an app known to only about nine people, so I have to use iMessage from time to time when someone sends an SMS.
    Not really. You don't have to use any of the new features. And it's not like it's up in your face. It's not. Just don't use or enable any of it and you'll be fine.
    Tartarus and Sherry_B like this.
    09-15-2016 11:47 PM
    I love the new messages.

I do get confused sometimes when I try to send a message and I end up in another screen that wants me to choose from a range of sounds. If I don't want to choose, I have to tap the little x in the circle, which seems like I'm canceling the text.

After two instances of this, though, I got the hang of it.
    09-16-2016 04:35 AM
    I love the new messages.

I do get confused sometimes when I try to send a message and I end up in another screen that wants me to choose from a range of sounds. If I don't want to choose, I have to tap the little x in the circle, which seems like I'm canceling the text.

After two instances of this, though, I got the hang of it.
    It takes a force press to get to those, so just have to tap the blue [>] to send and you won't get there
    09-16-2016 05:44 AM
76 1234