Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Hello all. I updated to iOS 10 via iTunes, as I downgraded from the beta, and now all of my text replacements are missing. I tried signing out and back in of iCloud. Rebooting the phone. Nada. I feel like this has happened before. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use this feature all of the time.

    Thanks in advance
    joelmw likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    You can go to settings -> iCloud and turn off iCloud Drive. Turn it back on and they should come back.

    I had the same thing happen
    Craig likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Thank you for the feedback. And tried that too and had no luck. 😩
    joelmw likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I had that same issue too a while ago.
    There is no getting them back. You'll have to add them back manually.
    Which reminds me, I just took screenshots of all my text replacements, just to be sure I will be able to add them all back if god forbid the same happened to me again.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. And tried that too and had no luck.
    OK, try signing out of iCloud and back in again. Do you have any other devices that they may have sync'd to? Then you can verify if they're still on your account.

    I lost them in both my phone and laptop and disabling and re-enabling of iCloud Drive got them back in both cases.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I do have them on my mac and iPad. I'm leery of deleting them though. Are you saying to turn off/on iCloud Drive on another device to see if it will jog something?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    I do have them on my mac and iPad. I'm leery of deleting them though. Are you saying to turn off/on iCloud Drive on another device to see if it will jog something?
    Definitely don't delete them on the devices that have them. I just know that toggling iCloud drive on devices that DON'T have them. helped bring them back.

    on your iPhone, if you go to the text replacement in settings, do they show up or are they just not working?
  8. #8  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I have the same issue and Apple Tech Support level 2 is absolutely unable to help
  9. #9  
    njlx2016's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    196 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I did a clean install of iOS 10 - which was a nightmare, I should have just stuck with the GM candidate that I already had installed- and my keyboard shortcuts aren't syncing between my Mac (with Sierra) and phone. I have tried every single troubleshooting step regarding this issue.

    This seems to be a transient issue with iOS, I have experienced it in the past with 9.x and I'm currently experiencing it. In the past, if I just wait a few days they'll magically begin to sync. I don't have a lot of shortcuts but it would be nice to not worry about them not syncing.
  10. #10  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,710 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    Hello all. I updated to iOS 10 via iTunes, as I downgraded from the beta, and now all of my text replacements are missing. I tried signing out and back in of iCloud. Rebooting the phone. Nada. I feel like this has happened before. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use this feature all of the time.

    Thanks in advance
    Out of curiosity, what did you replace text with?
  11. #11  
    njlx2016's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    196 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what did you replace text with?
    I use text replacement so that my phone never corrects to "ducking" or "shot"

    I also have a shortcut that when I type "@@" it types my email address for me. I do the same for my phone number with "##"
    joelmw likes this.
  12. #12  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by njlx2016 View Post
    I use text replacement so that my phone never corrects to "ducking" or "shot"

    I also have a shortcut that when I type "@@" it types my email address for me. I do the same for my phone number with "##"
    I literally have at least a thousand shortcuts. Or had I should say.

    Acronyms emails even myadd that has my full address.
    joelmw likes this.
  13. #13  
    njlx2016's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    196 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I fixed mine by turning off iCloud Drive and rebooting my Mac, then turning iCloud Drive back on.

    After rebooting and then turning iCloud Drive back on, the shortcuts from my Mac synced to my phone (read: the shortcuts on my phone were overwritten) and they seemed to be syncing back and forth now.

    I think the key is rebooting your devices.
  14. #14  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I tried to reboot but it didn't work. The issue isn't me syncing across devices it's just that I ha no shortcuts.
  15. #15  
    njlx2016's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    196 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    fwiw, you can export you text substitutions to a file... I just learned this myself.

    This won't help you get your shortcuts back but it will prevent issues in the future.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204006
  16. #16  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    my concern is on an iPhone so that doesn't help.
    joelmw likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew110607 View Post
    my concern is on an iPhone so that doesn't help.
    Did you try the other items?
    -turn off iCloud Drive and then turn back on
    -sign out of iCloud and back in again
  18. #18  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Yup tried all that. Turned off rebooted turned on. Turned on and off without rebooting etc.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Oh. That's a good idea. Maybe I can get those to go back into iCloud that way.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Exactly my though. It's happened in several releases. I had to do a clean install too. Other iCloud devices have been wonky after update to iOS 10. A server issue from apple perhaps.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I have all sorts of shortcuts I use for phrases that I uses often.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    kalel715's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    24 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    I've tried all of that either. Argh. So frustrating.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    Oh. That's a good idea. Maybe I can get those to go back into iCloud that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    Exactly my though. It's happened in several releases. I had to do a clean install too. Other iCloud devices have been wonky after update to iOS 10. A server issue from apple perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    I have all sorts of shortcuts I use for phrases that I uses often.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel715 View Post
    I've tried all of that either. Argh. So frustrating.
    You really need to use the quote feature so we know what you're referring to
  24. #24  
    Matthew110607's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    This issue is being reported at the apple communities as well, no working solution. I spent over an hour on the phone with level2 tech that swore he knew how to fix it (restoring the phone from a backup) but I told him that wasn't going to work. He told me to give him credit. I told him sure. I knew it wouldn't work, and it didn't.
    robertk328 and joelmw like this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Text Replacement Missing after ios10 Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew110607 View Post
    This issue is being reported at the apple communities as well, no working solution. I spent over an hour on the phone with level2 tech that swore he knew how to fix it (restoring the phone from a backup) but I told him that wasn't going to work. He told me to give him credit. I told him sure. I knew it wouldn't work, and it didn't.
    Good to know -- hope you get them back soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ios10 home button delay
    By kampana123 in forum iOS 10
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 06:24 AM
  2. How can I shoot RAW in iOS10?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 06:09 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 05:18 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 04:08 PM
  5. iOS version after resetting the device?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions