Any signs of getting mouse support?

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm the only one who is wanting mouse support on a touch screen tablet, but I suspect not.

With the push for iPads to be computer replacements,I would think this would be a requirement for most people.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful in the short run as iOS doesn't have a cursor and Apple has made it apparent that they don't want mouses and touch screens to mix. This could change in the future though. I can definitely see macOS and iOS converging at some point.

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe with a Bluetooth mouse.

But having a touch screen kinda defeats the purpose of having a mouse.

Respectfully disagree.

Certain gestures lend themselves to a touch screen but when getting down to business, certain tasks need a mouse for maximum productivity. Reaching up to the screen every few keystrokes is annoying as crap.

anrstone

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Completely agree; having to constantly move up from the keyboard and use the touch screen is annoying especially on something like iPad pro where the screen size is nearly that of a laptop.

I completely get not wanting to have a cursor but surely it's not rocket science to detect a Bluetooth being present and display the cursor when it's there...?

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree; having to constantly move up from the keyboard and use the touch screen is annoying especially on something like iPad pro where the screen size is nearly that of a laptop.

I completely get not wanting to have a cursor but surely it's not rocket science to detect a Bluetooth being present and display the cursor when it's there...?

Thank you! I feel like I was taking crazy pills. LOL

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't know.. I use a Wacom Tablet both at home and work instead of a mouse / track ball. So I am used to having to move my hands over the screen (be it a flat one on the desktop). I personally (me, not others) can't see a mouse on the screen. Not that large of a device.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, it is way more than just detecting and pairing with a Bluetooth mouse. Cocoa Touch layer would need to be rewritten to include cursor support, for which there currently is none. Cocoa Touch is written and designed around touch gestures.

You can always submit feedback to Apple to request such a feature.

Gatito Rivera

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Yes, TwitchyPuppy, you're right on that but, not everyone has the same mobility as the majority of people.
If I use myself for example, I have muscular dystrophy which makes it bit hard to even use my Ipod touch 6.

Olaf Coenen

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I'm the only one who is wanting mouse support on a touch screen tablet, but I suspect not.

With the push for iPads to be computer replacements,I would think this would be a requirement for most people.

And this would allow for the iPad to become a true desktop replacement: connect ipad to a monitor and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to work on the big screen. Unplug to go on the road. A mouse pointer / support would make the iPad my sole computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR