Photos in iOS10 & macOS Sierra: faces synced between iphone and mac?

chrmahr

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
In iOS10 and macOS sierra you now have face recognition...
Are the results synced between iphone and mac (desktop)?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They should, but I can't say for certain because I don't have macOS Sierra installed in my aging MacBook. Hopefully, members that do will reply soon.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same experience... hoping that this is due to the beta.
Doing the "work" twice doesnt make sense...

For right now, it feels like the Photos experience is really incomplete (probably to be addressed in future betas). Apple has a lot of work to do to make a Google Photos like experience without using their method of going through all your photos in the cloud.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You would think if you're using iCloud Photo Library it should sync the faces also. I have a 5, 6Plus, and 6SPlus, and all the memories albums Photos pulled together synced across devices....

suninmoon

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I would be shocked if they didn't sync up once the final OS's go live. What would be the point of having two completely separate Faces collections, especially when you have tens of thousands of photos. I've got the iOS 10 beta on my iPhone but no other betas so I'm wondering what iOS 10 has done to my photos regarding Faces. Has it applied faces tags to my photos in iCloud photo library or is it just on my phone? I've held off on committing fully to Mac OS X Photos until all the features of the app are synced everywhere. It's so tempting to just dump my photos into Google Photos and call it a day but I'm deep into the Apple ecosystem. I know Apple loves to hear that :)

vanillasoda

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Craig and Phil both said (on grubers show) that these features are device independent and they will not be synced via iCloud Photo Library. Processing will be done on device. If they were to sync that stuff via ICPL there would be no need to make each device process its own data (since the end point would contain it anyways...)

haunted77

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
So I spent a half hour on my iPhone working with faces. I go to my iPad, and it's exactly as my iPhone was before I started with it. This makes no sense at all. Honestly, I love Apple products, but they have really never had a decent photo program. I was determined to use their photo program with iOS 10, but if this is the result, it seems like a waste of time and cloud space.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Look at what they said in their keynote, the two will not sync. The actions happen on device and it not shared with icloud so the same actions will have to happen on your mac.

EngByAMG

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm running iOS 10.0.1, the GM version, and unless issue found between now and Wednesday, this will be the public version and can confirm faces still don't sync between different device iCloud photo libraries.

I suspect Apple's data privacy issue is strongly involved here. By syncing data across iCloud Apple would then no longer be able to claim the sensitive confidential data remains on device alone. Apple have gone out of their way to ensure sensitive personal data remains in the end users hands only and not in Apple's hands.

Just my views

IcySnowballs

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
So this really does mean that if I put in a lot of effort p? identify and name faces on 5.000+ photos, buy a new Iphone 7 and restore this from the backup of my iPhone 6s (running IOS10), the faces does not transfer over to my new device? At least that is what happened to me.

If it is like that, I think that Apple needs to reconsider how backups are done since it isn't usable in the long term.

Last edited:

gregmcdougall

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
This is a huge step back. Although not widely known, under iOS 9 and the previous version of OS X faces tagged on OSX would be available on the iPhone when searching for a name (i.e. the meta tags were synched to iCloud). Having gone iOS 10 then waiting for Sierra I'm hugely disappointed to set the Faces now separated by device. Huge misstep.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Are you noticing. Bug where when you are done merging each persons face across each device manually it gives you a different amount of photos for that person across multiple devices

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner