How to Turn Off Voice control

emil234

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I would like to ask how to turn off voice control in iOS 10 iPhone 6s when long press home button.

I'm not using voice control and don't use Siri (Siri is turn off).
Sometimes when I double click and press to long then appear voice control.
I know that on IOS 9 there was some solution to turn off the voice control but what about iOS 10 ?

Thank you for help.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
When I disable Siri on my iPad with iOS 10, I don't have Voice Control and nothing happens when I press and hold my home button. With my iPhone 5S I can disable Siri and use Voice Control, though there doesn't appear to be a way to disable the voice dialing option or Voice Control.

On my iPhone running iOS 9.3.4, I am not seeing an option to disable voice dialing or Voice Control either.

Last edited:

NeonBlueWS

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I contacted Apple Support about that issue, today. You can't turn it off. :-( Hopefully, enough of us will complain and they'll fix it in a future update.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't an easy workaround be to simply not long press your home button? I'm not questioning your desire to disable voice control--to each his/her own--but what other reason would there be to hold down the home button?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't an easy workaround be to simply not long press your home button? I'm not questioning your desire to disable voice control--to each his/her own--but what other reason would there be to hold down the home button?

I've had issues with both Siri and voice control coming up when all I did was one or 2 clicks. No long press. It was bad with Siri on my iPhone 5. So I switched to voice control. That wasn't as bad as Siri. I couldn't make Siri go away. We had a serious falling out.

pugetsails

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site

With Siri off and phone locked, Voice Control activates spontaneously and dials random numbers from my contact list whilst in my pocket (embarrassing). Probably the home button gets pressed by contact with something. Need to turn VC off!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
With Siri off and phone locked, Voice Control activates spontaneously and dials random numbers from my contact list whilst in my pocket (embarrassing). Probably the home button gets pressed by contact with something. Need to turn VC off!

Go to settings/Siri and turn off "Access on Lock Screen". You will need to enable Siri. There is no other way to disable access on the lock screen.

mzg16

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site

Great now tell me how not to do this in my pocket every time I bend over or lift something heavy?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Great now tell me how not to do this in my pocket every time I bend over or lift something heavy?

I was merely offering a suggestion. And, for the record, I keep my phone in my pocket all of the time and rarely have an issue.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was merely offering a suggestion. And, for the record, I keep my phone in my pocket all of the time and rarely have an issue.

I keep mine in my pocket most of the time and on rare occasions my pocket will speak to me LOL.. but just like you, it's rare, far between. Maybe 1x every 3-4 weeks. I don't even consider that a minor issue. Now if I can stop my car keys in my other pocket from setting off the car emergency alarm when I bend over.. that's a bigger goal.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
weeks. I don't even consider that a minor issue. Now if I can stop my car keys in my other pocket from setting off the car emergency alarm when I bend over.. that's a bigger goal.

That's hilarious. My trunk likes to pop open when I get in my car with my keys in my pocket. Luckily I always notice because my backup camera will be pointed at the sky.

michellespostbox

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
P.s. I never had a problem with voice control until the last iphone update...now you can no longer swipe the screen to open it, you have to press the main button twice. And that's not the only thing I dislike.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
P.s. I never had a problem with voice control until the last iphone update...now you can no longer swipe the screen to open it, you have to press the main button twice. And that's not the only thing I dislike.

Or change the setting to "touch to open" so you don't have to press twice.

miz_mdk

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. The "long press" that starts voice control is not actually very long. It's less than one second. It's too easy to do accidentally. There should be a way to easily turn this feature off, or control how long a hold is required to activate/deactivate it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. The "long press" that starts voice control is not actually very long. It's less than one second. It's too easy to do accidentally. There should be a way to easily turn this feature off, or control how long a hold is required to activate/deactivate it.

I don't think there is a way. It's either Voice Control or Siri. I've had this issue with both. It was more a problem on my iPhone 5. Not so much on the 6s Plus.

rhferg

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It was not a helpful suggestion. The fact that you don't find something a problem is not relevant to all the other people who do. If you don't know how to solve their problem, it's probably best to stay out of the thread.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It was not a helpful suggestion. The fact that you don't find something a problem is not relevant to all the other people who do. If you don't know how to solve their problem, it's probably best to stay out of the thread.

I thought it a good suggestion, considering the alternative. I've carried all my iPhones in my pockets for years, and not once long pressed the home button and summoned any of the mentioned. Not once. How many times has this actually happened to you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro