Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Antron
  • 1 Post By RoCutler
  • 1 Post By Antron
  • 1 Post By Antron
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default What can I do if can't restore from iTunes backup says incorrect password?

Ok, so i tried the public beta of iOS 10 (cool features by the way) and now I am trying to restore from an archived backup of iOS 9 before I installed the beta. It says that the password is incorrect. It does not prompt me to enter a password though. I did some searching and found information on locating the backup file in Keychain access to access the password there, but I do not see the file there. Anyone know how I can solve this problem?
    DarlaMack likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: What can I do if can't restore from iTunes backup says incorrect password?

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220 there is no way.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.

Default Re: What can I do if can't restore from iTunes backup says incorrect password?

The "only way" is: Too bad, do a fresh install or keep iOS 10.

I know it socks, but there's no way to circumvent it.

If no one here has a workable solution, I would contact Apple Support and see what they say. Did you forget your password? Or is it that there's no place to enter it? Not clear on that. If you don't remember the password, you will probably have to restore as new, without the back up. It doesn't appear Apple gives you a chance to reset the password on encryption back ups. I don't use encrypted archived back ups.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

I encrypted the backup because I was following instructions from iMore lol. Also, there is no place to enter it.
    iMore Intermediate

Antron, I've done this myself. The only solution I could find was the brute force the password by using a third party tool.

Before you spend any money, for me I was able to use a trial version of a product that was limited to showing only the first two or three caracters of the recovered password. That was enough to job my memory and recall what password I had used.

I "think" the application I used was iSeePassword - iTunes Password Recovery. It's a windows only application that is very simple to use (you will have to copy any backup files over from your MAC).

Depending on the general complexity of your passwords, this may take a few hours to days to run.

Hope this helps and good luck to you! PM me if I can help further.
    iMore Intermediate

It would be great if Apple changed the process for a restore and before erasing any iOS devices, it forced you to enter the password for the backup archive, that way you know you would be able to restore the device before the iOS device is erased, leaving you with an empty iPhone and in-accessable iTunes backup file.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by OZsMac View Post
    Antron, I've done this myself. The only solution I could find was the brute force the password by using a third party tool.

Before you spend any money, for me I was able to use a trial version of a product that was limited to showing only the first two or three caracters of the recovered password. That was enough to job my memory and recall what password I had used.

I "think" the application I used was iSeePassword - iTunes Password Recovery. It's a windows only application that is very simple to use (you will have to copy any backup files over from your MAC).

Depending on the general complexity of your passwords, this may take a few hours to days to run.

Hope this helps and good luck to you! PM me if I can help further.
    Thanks!
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

I ended up doing a clean install. The good thing is most of the apps that I use sync with some cloud services so I didn't really "lose" any information. Just have to re arrange my screens which is time consuming but at least I still have my information.
    DarlaMack likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    If no one here has a workable solution, I would contact Apple Support and see what they say. Did you forget your password? Or is it that there's no place to enter it? Not clear on that. If you don't remember the password, you will probably have to restore as new, without the back up. It doesn't appear Apple gives you a chance to reset the password on encryption back ups. I don't use encrypted archived back ups.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Antron View Post
    Ok, so i tried the public beta of iOS 10 (cool features by the way) and now I am trying to restore from an archived backup of iOS 9 before I installed the beta. It says that the password is incorrect. It does not prompt me to enter a password though. I did some searching and found information on locating the backup file in Keychain access to access the password there, but I do not see the file there. Anyone know how I can solve this problem?
    Hey Antron. Before you go seeking an unlocker try this:

1. Open Keychain Access, found in /Applications/Utilities/
    2. Use the Search box in the upper right corner and type "iphone backup"
    3. When you see that long number where it says "Account", make sure it matches your device by going under your connected device in iTunes, and clicking a few times where it says Serial Number (FYI this is your UDID number)
    4. Double click the result, assuming something is found in Keychain
    5. Check the box next to "Show password" and enter the Mac administrator password to find password for keychain file iTunes backup.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by DarlaMack View Post
    Hey Antron. Before you go seeking an unlocker try this:

1. Open Keychain Access, found in /Applications/Utilities/
    2. Use the Search box in the upper right corner and type "iphone backup"
    3. When you see that long number where it says "Account", make sure it matches your device by going under your connected device in iTunes, and clicking a few times where it says Serial Number (FYI this is your UDID number)
    4. Double click the result, assuming something is found in Keychain
    5. Check the box next to "Show password" and enter the Mac administrator password to find password for keychain file iTunes backup.
    Thanks Darla. Only problem is, when I try to search for the backup it doesn't show up. Though I did do a back up and in iTunes it shows the name of the backup I made but I cannot find it in Keychain Access
    DarlaMack likes this.

Thanks Darla. Only problem is, when I try to search for the backup it doesn't show up. Though I did do a back up and in iTunes it shows the name of the backup I made but I cannot find it in Keychain Access
    Well I see you successfully did a clean install, and everything is working good? Just a thought... did it ask you for the password and did you by any chance try the same password that you use for iTunes? Lol, this happened to me before a few years ago, and thats what I use so something like THIS won't happen.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by DarlaMack View Post
    Well I see you successfully did a clean install, and everything is working good? Just a thought... did it ask you for the password and did you by any chance try the same password that you use for iTunes? Lol, this happened to me before a few years ago, and thats what I use so something like THIS won't happen.
    I did do a clean install and all is well. Just had to take time to organize my screens

It didn't prompt me to enter a password in iTunes which was strange.
    iMore Elite

I had the same problem. I typed every password that I knew from when I first started using passwords. Then one night I typed in the correct password. You might eventually guess the right password. You me about four days and nights to remember the correct one.