Download file with Safari and save it to iOS 10 native local file system

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In iOS 10 is there now a local file system so documents can be downloaded and saved locally on the iPhone?

For example, I'm visiting a site in Safari and want to download a PDF document and save it for use later on when I know that cell signal will be poor, or non-existent.

Is the above now possible in iOS 10? Or is a third party file manager with its own browser required?

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I was doing this already even before installing the beta. I save purchased/free sewing patterns in pdf format and then open them in iBooks. (After opening the pdf in iBooks once, they're always in there).

I've found that the best way to do it is to save pdf files to DropBox and open them in there if needed.

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
In iOS 10 is there now a local file system so documents can be downloaded and saved locally on the iPhone?

For example, I'm visiting a site in Safari and want to download a PDF document and save it for use later on when I know that cell signal will be poor, or non-existent.

Is the above now possible in iOS 10? Or is a third party file manager with its own browser required?

you can import pdf to ibooks or save stuff to icloud drive and access it with icloud drive icon added to desktop

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
No, you can't download using Safari and there is no local file system with iOS. Each app has its own container and files cannot be accessed between apps without share extensions. Nothing is changing in this respect with iOS 10. I wish it did.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Of course you can download PDFs. In iOS 10, you can save PDF directly to iCloud Drive or any other app that can work with PDFs. Try the free Documents app by Readdle.

Just tap a PDF file in Safari, wait for it to download and then you'll have a "More..." button in upper left corner. Select your app or "Save to iCloud Drive" from there (this is new in 10). It should be saved locally immediately. I tried to download it, going offline and then trying to open it in iCloud Drive app and it worked. Once it is in iCloud Drive, you can open it in all kinds of apps from there. You can think of iCloud Drive as kind of a file system, severely limited but serving its purpose.

You can also long-press a link to file and do the same from there. Safari can download all sorts of stuff.

I still prefer PDF Expert, GoodReader or Documents though.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
No, you can't download using Safari and there is no local file system with iOS. Each app has its own container and files cannot be accessed between apps without share extensions. Nothing is changing in this respect with iOS 10. I wish it did.

That is one of my concerns, and has been a frustration in the past with iOS. I appreciate the apparent benefits that come with the container approach, though.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I do like share extensions though. I can still share files and download files too. Hasn't been too much of a problem, here.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro