Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Does anybody else feel like; even though ios10 will be released on the iPhone 5s variants. That honestly we shouldn't go that high? I feel like 9.3.3 is the end of the road for the 5S. 10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion. Now some of you will gladly upgrade to 10, but if what they say is true. Apple may support older devices but with each update the device slows down a little more. 9.3.3 has pretty much everything a 5S user would want in my opinion.

    Saying that. I went back to 9.3.3 from ios10. Don't get me wrong. Ios10 is a great concept but it's built with 3D Touch in mind and that leaves out a lot of devices from the past. It will probably be an amazing OS for the 6 and up. Especially the 6S and up with 3D Touch. What're your thoughts?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    The OS updates don't slow down devices. Not purposely.
    A clean/fresh install is always recommended after an new OS (especially if done OTA).

    Honestly, a 5S can and will run iOS 10 decently. (4Ses run 9.3.2 flawlessly)
    It's a nice OS nonetheless and 6 and above will support it longer.
    Chris Kerrigan likes this.
  3. #3  
    kch50428's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    20,989 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,872 Global Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Making a decision like this based on performance of a beta is short sited IMHO.
  4. #4  
    ejraney's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    My 5s has been running great on iOS 10. Sure I have a hiccup here and there, but this phone is my daily driver (only driver) and I have had no major issues.
  5. #5  
    fredriks's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    173 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    I think I read some where that ios 10 was a lighter Os then ios 9. But sure, newer models will benefit more from ios 10 than the older models. But that's the way it is everywhere.
    iCricket likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Making a decision like this based on performance of a beta is short sited IMHO.
    I'm not making a decision solely based on a beta. I'm making my decision based on years of using smartphones in general both iOS and android. The higher up the released OS is. The slower it makes the older devices because there is more and more baked into each new update.
  7. #7  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    608 Posts

    Default I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    My iPhone 5S runs quite snappy and fast on iOS 10 beta. I am quite happy with iOS 10. Of course, iOS 10 is still in beta. There are going to be hiccups. Wait until the official release and do a clean install.
    TwitchyPuppy and pr1nce like this.
  8. #8  
    xboxbml's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    I'm sure if there r issues with 5s running 10 they will get ironed out either in beta, or with subsequent .x updates... I mean they just took 4s out of the update... They're gonna support the 5 and 5s for a while yet.. They're too many of them still out there to let them run poorly on a new OS..
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  9. #9  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    608 Posts

    Default I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by iCricket View Post
    I'm not making a decision solely based on a beta. I'm making my decision based on years of using smartphones in general both iOS and android. The higher up the released OS is. The slower it makes the older devices because there is more and more baked into each new update.
    Making your decision based on years of using smartphones in general doesn't take in consideration that the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S was light years ahead of previous Apple processors and will most likely be supported longer than previous Apple processors. There isn't a huge amount of difference in speed between the A7 and A8 processors in my opinion.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffypig View Post
    Making your decision based on years of using smartphones in general doesn't take in consideration that the A7 processor in the iPhone 5S was light years ahead of previous Apple processors and will most likely be supported longer than previous Apple processors. There isn't a huge amount of difference in speed between the A7 and A8 processors in my opinion.
    I'll def agree with you on that one. That's one thing that Apple is good at. Planning ahead. Like I said though this is my opinion. I don't want to take the risks of upgrading, 10 being a flop on the 5s and apple stop signing 9.3.3. And being stuck with a mediocre device because right now the 5s is far from that.
  11. #11  
    scruffypig's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    608 Posts

    Default I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by iCricket View Post
    I'll def agree with you on that one. That's one thing that Apple is good at. Planning ahead. Like I said though this is my opinion. I don't want to take the risks of upgrading, 10 being a flop on the 5s and apple stop signing 9.3.3. And being stuck with a mediocre device because right now the 5s is far from that.
    I don't think iOS 10 is a flop on the iPhone 5S. iOS 10 isn't even official released yet, and it runs great on my iPhone 5S and my iPad Mini 2. That being said, I won't be putting iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S until it is officially released, if that helps.

    The iPhone 5S A7 processor speed is officially 1.3 GHz, though some benchmarks are reporting 1.4 GHz. The iPhone 6 A8 processor speed is officially 1.4 GHz, with not much difference in benchmarks.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 07-27-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    iCricket and TwitchyPuppy like this.
  12. #12  
    Mac Guy's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    817 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    iOS 10 b2 is working fine on my 5s. Beginning of the end? ROFL! Maybe with iOS 11 or 12. The speed is fine. UI quirks are a different story and largely subjective.

    I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3. I wish there were a switch in Settings that would get back the graceful look of Ultra Neue or whatever that was.

    iOS 10 is needed for wOS 3 or I wouldn't upgrade until I absolutely had too. There are interesting features in 10 but nothing that really wows me.
  13. #13  
    qbnkelt's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,777 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,121 Global Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by iCricket View Post
    Does anybody else feel like; even though ios10 will be released on the iPhone 5s variants. That honestly we shouldn't go that high? I feel like 9.3.3 is the end of the road for the 5S. 10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion. Now some of you will gladly upgrade to 10, but if what they say is true. Apple may support older devices but with each update the device slows down a little more. 9.3.3 has pretty much everything a 5S user would want in my opinion.

    Saying that. I went back to 9.3.3 from ios10. Don't get me wrong. Ios10 is a great concept but it's built with 3D Touch in mind and that leaves out a lot of devices from the past. It will probably be an amazing OS for the 6 and up. Especially the 6S and up with 3D Touch. What're your thoughts?
    I always upgrade my phone every year so I always go to a new OS with a new device. The one exception was my 3GS which was my first iPhone and for sentimental reasons, I didn't give it to a family member when I upgraded. On that device, I only upgraded it to iOS5 and yes, I saw a degradation of the experience. So, for me, one year is no problem. Two years I'd expect to see some degradation. By that time most people would upgrade anyway. Three years, I would expect to see further degradation.

    I've found an extreme experience with Android, where one major upgrade turned each of my devices into a hot mess.
    Spencerdl and TwitchyPuppy like this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    I always upgrade my phone every year so I always go to a new OS with a new device. The one exception was my 3GS which was my first iPhone and for sentimental reasons, I didn't give it to a family member when I upgraded. On that device, I only upgraded it to iOS5 and yes, I saw a degradation of the experience. So, for me, one year is no problem. Two years I'd expect to see some degradation. By that time most people would upgrade anyway. Three years, I would expect to see further degradation.

    I've found an extreme experience with Android, where one major upgrade turned each of my devices into a hot mess.
    Yeah maybe my experience is biased based on android experience.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    iOS 10 b2 is working fine on my 5s. Beginning of the end? ROFL! Maybe with iOS 11 or 12. The speed is fine. UI quirks are a different story and largely subjective.

    I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3. I wish there were a switch in Settings that would get back the graceful look of Ultra Neue or whatever that was.

    iOS 10 is needed for wOS 3 or I wouldn't upgrade until I absolutely had too. There are interesting features in 10 but nothing that really wows me.
    I like the heavy font. It's much easier to see and read. When you get older with eye problems, style is less important.
    Aztek13 and iCricket like this.
  16. #16  
    thomas_anderson19's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    I'm using iPhone 6S, beta version is slowing down my device as well but remember it is BETA VERSION. Just wait until the full version is released.
    iCricket likes this.
  17. #17  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,391 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by iCricket View Post
    10 is the beginning of the end for the 5S and below. It's just too much for the hardware in my opinion.

    What're your thoughts?
    If you feel that way then perhaps consider upgrading your phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post

    I noted elsewhere that what I don't like about 10 is the heavy font. It's a step, maybe two, back from the elegance of 9.3.
    Sometimes it's more about usability. What is a dislike for you is a necessity for me... us older folks need font that is easier to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_anderson19 View Post
    I'm using iPhone 6S, beta version is slowing down my device as well but remember it is BETA VERSION. Just wait until the full version is released.
    I always do a clean install of a beta (ie; install like new). I'm running beta on a iPhone 6s and have not experienced any lag/slowness in my device. At all. In fact I ran it while on vacation this past week and didn't have any issues in things that mattered most. Basically I'm running beta as a daily driver.

    The only thing I really dislike about 10 is the music app. I'm running JetAudio. I used it on my PC long before they had any mobile app, and when they made the app for Android I jumped all over it and happily paid for it. When I bought my first iPhone a few months ago I had planned on repurchasing, but I really liked the default music app... until iOS 10. JetAudio, IMHO, is the best music app ever made and worth every single penny I've paid for it. To be honest I think the app is underrated and doesn't get enough exposure.
  18. #18  
    OZsMac's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    253 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    @iCricket absolutely a fair enough question, and as a previous user of Windows CE, Windows Phone and current iOS and Android (if you don't use it, how can you have an informed opinion about it), it really does go against my previous experiences to expect that a phone released with a previous operating system major version would be ok to get an upgrade. Apple get's this right time and time again, dont' get me wrong it's not all roses and unicorn giggles, but for the most part it's the best experience in the market.

    I have upgraded an old iPhone 5S to iOS 10 Dev Beta 3, it works just fine (fresh install, not upgrade). I do wonder about how things would be on iPhone 5 or 5C.....probably not quite so nice.
    iCricket likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    I guess when I wrote this my opinion was biased As I've not really had any background with the iPhone. Only android devices. I apologize to all of those people that I've offended with the statement. It seems that Apple did do a good job and I have to keep in mind that it is a beta operating system. When I go back to iOS 10. I will go back to it with an open mind and not any reflections from my android experience. I have decided that when it's released not in beta that I will give it a shot for a short time. Leaving me enough room to downgrade back to 9.3 before Apple stops signing it.
  20. #20  
    paulxxwall's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Having sum bug pop up. Bluetooth has some static noise . And what's considered as a clean install. I thought there were all clean?
    fredriks likes this.
  21. #21  
    OZsMac's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    253 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by iCricket View Post
    I apologize to all of those people that I've offended with the statement.
    Absolutely no need for any apologies, this threat/post is a great discussion point, I hope we are all balanced in our views and always look for different opinions, not just those that are inline with our own.
    scruffypig likes this.
  22. #22  
    OZsMac's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    253 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    Having sum bug pop up. Bluetooth has some static noise . And what's considered as a clean install. I thought there were all clean?
    I use Bluetooth extensively (always listening to Podcasts) over a few different devices (Jawbone Icon HD, Plantronics Fit, Bose bluetooth wireless and Bose Soundlink portable speaker) and haven't noticed any static noise. From time to time with Dev B3 I have noticed I need to turn my bluetooth device on and off to clear a low volume issue (started and was more prevalent with B2).

    Clean install would be either resetting all on the phone after install or doing a clean install (not upgrade) via DFU mode with iTunes.

    The thinking is that over time the various operating system and application files/configuration/etc may become corrupt or bloated in some way that impacts performance or stability. Considering that for most phones, they would have been through two or more major and countless minor OS upgrades. Starting from scratch from time to time, whilst not actually proven to do anything, always "feels" better to me. Especially going from a beta to a major release, I would never upgrade, always start from scratch.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iCricket's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Yes I def recommend a fresh install. Not just upgrading over top of the current system. In a lot of cases it corrupts tables and databases slowing down your device.
  24. #24  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,391 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    what's considered as a clean install.
    A clean install is installing like new without restoring anything from backup. ie; you wanna see that "Hello" when the phone boots up where you follow through with a completely new phone set up.

    That rules out issues caused by any files damaged from overwrites, app incompatibility, settings changes etc. etc. etc.
    scruffypig and iCricket like this.
  25. #25  
    Amonte Simmons's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: I went back to 9.3.3 from 10, probably won't upgrade again

    How did u go back to 9.3?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 6s didn't say delivered then went through as a text. Why?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 05:52 PM
  2. Voice memo won't work on brand new iPod 6 touch.
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 02:01 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM
  5. How do I connect my iMac desktop to my non-Apple HDTV?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions