Rotation bug

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
It has always rotated for me but apps will sometimes not realize it is in landscape view and show the portrait size screen initially

Waze does this. When it happens, I ha e to go back to the home screen and then go back to Waze for it to correct itself.

goldassayer93555

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
First thing to check!

Slide your finger up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control panel.
Look for the padlock with a circular arrow around it and tap on it.

If it is white the screen rotation is locked if it is gray the screen rotation is free to rotate.

Torch2

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPad Air2 and am experiencing this regularly. The hard reset is the only solution. This started after iOS 10.1 ARGH! I hope Apple gets the message and develops a fix to whatever they broke.

hamandswiss

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Device: iPhone 6s / 64 mb / iOS 10.02
Problem Desc.: Doesn't rotate at all after iOS 10. 10.02 didn't resolve.

Thanks - looks as though I'm good now. Pulled up control panel as you advised and found the the padlock disabled or locked. Unlocked and now have screen rotation again. Thank you once again.

-hamandswiss

hamandswiss

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Device: iPhone 6s / 64 mb / iOS 10.0.2
Problem Desc.: Doesn't rotate at all after iOS 10. 10.0.2 didn't resolve.

Thanks - looks as though I'm good now. Pulled up control panel as you advised and found the the padlock disabled or locked. Unlocked and now have screen rotation again. Thank you once again.

-hamandswiss

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me fairly often in Messages on my 7 Plus. I initially thought it had to do with my case but it happens periodically even outside of my case. Hopefully it's something Apple takes notice to.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Fixed it!! Hard start your device! Actually POWER DOWN by holding down on power button and then holding down again to start it back up again! ;)

I'm curious on the terminology here. In my experience, a "hard reset" meant that you were wiping your device. A "soft reset" was simply powering it down and back on again. Just for lack of confusion when providing advice, do most people understand a "hard reset" to be simply turning the phone off and back on again?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
This started happening on average once a week since I updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 10.

The only fix is to turn the iPad off and on again.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious on the terminology here. In my experience, a "hard reset" meant that you were wiping your device. A "soft reset" was simply powering it down and back on again. Just for lack of confusion when providing advice, do most people understand a "hard reset" to be simply turning the phone off and back on again?

When I want to say "force reset" (holding Power + Home buttons), I say force reboot to avoid confusion.
Because for me too, a reset means wiping your device.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

An age old argument that will never end!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
When I want to say "force reset" (holding Power + Home buttons), I say force reboot to avoid confusion.
Because for me too, a reset means wiping your device.

The fun part is now going to be explaining to use the volume down button instead of the home button on iPhone 7/7+.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a solution to this issue, it fixes it for me without reboot.

1. Orient the phone the way it is stuck.
2. Enable the orientation lock (Swipe up)
3. Wait 5 seconds
4. Return to home screen
5. Wait 5 seconds.
6. Lock screen.
7. Wait 5 seconds
8. Change the phone to portrait orientation in your hand
9. Unlock the phone.
10. Remove orientation lock from step 2

This works for me 90% of the time and is faster than a reboot.

just wanted to thank you and say this works like a charm, though frequently I need to repeat the steps (at most 3 times so far) to get the screen to rotate.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods