Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfee48
  • 1 Post By swarlos
  • 1 Post By Tartarus
  • 1 Post By Pitcherlaad
  • 1 Post By Dalfiusa
  • 1 Post By Tartarus
  • 2 Post By justafew
  • 1 Post By heligo
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    MrMars's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    736 Posts

    Default Rating songs in Apple Music

    How do you rate songs in Apple Music on iOS 10? It used to be you tapped on the album artwork and selected the rating you preferred.
    Last edited by MrMars; 07-08-2016 at 07:46 PM.
  2. #2  
    wolfee48's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    I am awaiting this answer as well. I've looked and looked. Hope it wasn't taken away and is only missing due to beta status.
    MrMars likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    I haven't figured this out as well. Guess we'll have to do with the like option for now.
  4. #4  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,983 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    I haven't been able to find it.
    Tartarus likes this.
  5. #5  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,391 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    I think it's gone for now, I cannot find it either. They may have not added it back in yet.

    In all honesty, I really dislike the new music app.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry_B View Post
    I think it's gone for now, I cannot find it either. They may have not added it back in yet.

    In all honesty, I really dislike the new music app.
    I only used the 1 and the 5 star ratings in music. 1 for songs I want to delete from my iCloud Music Library and 5 to add it to my favorites folder.

    Now I have created a playlist with the name "To Delete".
    If I'm in a hurry or don't have enough concentration at the moment, I simply add the song to that playlist and delete it from my iCloud Music Library afterwards. For the 5 star rated songs I changed the filter settings for my Smart Playlist from 5 stars to liked. Songs I liked appear automagically in it.
  7. #7  
    Sherry_B's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,391 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I only used the 1 and the 5 star ratings in music. 1 for songs I want to delete from my iCloud Music Library and 5 to add it to my favorites folder.

    Now I have created a playlist with the name "To Delete".
    If I'm in a hurry or don't have enough concentration at the moment, I simply add the song to that playlist and delete it from my iCloud Music Library afterwards. For the 5 star rated songs I changed the filter settings for my Smart Playlist from 5 stars to liked. Songs I liked appear automagically in it.
    That's a neat use for the star ratings. I have over 4k songs on my phone (still need to add more), and I like every single one. Some more than others, but I don't dislike any enough to delete them.
  8. #8  

    Default Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry_B View Post
    That's a neat use for the star ratings. I have over 4k songs on my phone (still need to add more), and I like every single one. Some more than others, but I don't dislike any enough to delete them.
    Yeah, there is this one artist I only listen once or twice in every while, same goes for for David Bowie. I have complete albums with Native American music I don't listen on my phone, only once in a while at home. I delete those songs from iCloud Music Library to keep them only in iTunes on my computer. Saves me a lot of skipping in the bus, train, bike and in the car. I have something like 900 songs this way in iTunes on my computer.

    You could say I sort of recreated the classic 'sync only checked songs to my iPhone' option from when Music wasn't around.

    Last time I was out with friends on the lake where I was the self appointed DJ reminded me to make more playlists for slow and upbeat music. I still need to do that, but with 8k music it's kind of hard to do.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 08-11-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Sherry_B likes this.
  9. #9  
    JakubRWrobel's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    53 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Was looking for an answer to this, but I guess I'm out of luck
  10. #10  
    Pitcherlaad's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    "siri, rate this song" you're welcome
    markmillard likes this.
  11. #11  
    OrangePoser's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Yes, I've been using the Siri trick lately and it's ok... accept that Siri is so completely unreliable that sometimes it doesn't hear me or just freezes, and that's not to mention that it stops the music...
  12. #12  
    Trigati's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    673 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    It looks like you can only currently 'Love' or 'Dislike' a song (no star ratings) or keep it neutral (neither Loved or Disliked). If you press and hold a song in the listing or, if the play screen is up, pressing the More (three dots '...'), brings up the screen where Love and Dislike are at the bottom of the pop-up.

    'Love' implies the song will be played more often, 'Dislike' less often when you randomly play music.
  13. #13  
    Dalfiusa's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfee48 View Post
    I am awaiting this answer as well. I've looked and looked. Hope it wasn't taken away and is only missing due to beta status.
    The best method I have found is to create 5 playlists, names 1-5 Star and then just add each song to a playlist and then when back at my computer rate all of the songs in each playlist and then remove them.
    Tartarus likes this.
  14. #14  
    wolfee48's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalfiusa View Post
    The best method I have found is to create 5 playlists, names 1-5 Star and then just add each song to a playlist and then when back at my computer rate all of the songs in each playlist and then remove them.
    This will work for items not yet rated. But how do you know the rating of the current song?
  15. #15  

    Default Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfee48 View Post
    This will work for items not yet rated.
    It doesn't matter if it's already rated or not. You move it to the playlist with the rating you like. At home you open iTunes and open that playlist, than select all and rate to whatever rating the songs in that playlist should be.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfee48 View Post
    But how do you know the rating of the current song?
    Unfortunately, you don't.
    xboxbml likes this.
  17. #17  
    wolfee48's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,021 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's already rated or not. You move it to the playlist with the rating you like. At home you open iTunes and open that playlist, than select all and rate to whatever rating the songs in that playlist should be.
    I get that, but then there could be potential conflicts. One day it's a 4 and the next it's a 5 and then a 3. The struggle is real!
  18. #18  

    Default Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfee48 View Post
    I get that, but then there could be potential conflicts. One day it's a 4 and the next it's a 5 and then a 3. The struggle is real!
    That's why I am not using ratings anymore. If I love a song I 'love' it on my iPhone or in iTunes, depends on where I'm listening.

    I don't use the dislike that much, though.

    I made playlists for 2 styles of music. Upbeat or slow. That's sufficient for me.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 09-12-2016 at 05:57 PM.
  19. #19  
    justafew's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    This whole thing is annoying and I hope they bring it back. I use ratings a lot. Sure Love and Dislike allow me to identify any songs I decide I don't want anymore, but I have many playlists that are all based on ratings. Just because I like something doesn't mean it's a Five Star song. I have playlist dedicated to songs that I have rated 5 stars so I know I'm playing my absolute favorites at that time. Guess what - if I like it, it's in my library (6,000+ songs). If I don't like it, it's not in my Library. But there is no way to really distinguish between the levels of Like and Love. I like many, many songs (3 stars), I like many others more than that (4 stars) and I Love many others (5 stars).
    wolfee48 and mgraffidaho like this.
  20. #20  
    heligo's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherlaad View Post
    "siri, rate this song" you're welcome
    Not very practical on a train...
    wolfee48 likes this.
  21. #21  
    markmillard's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherlaad View Post
    "siri, rate this song" you're welcome
    Thank you, Pitcherlaad!
  22. #22  
    mgraffidaho's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    haha, that appears to work, but not ideal by any means. I want it back how it used to work also; it's how I organize - similar to how others have mentioned.
  23. #23  
    justafew's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default Re: Rating songs in Apple Music

    FYI - hopefully this carries through the beta into the public release, but it's a hopeful sign that Apple actually is listening. Not a convenient as before (clicking on artwork), but at least it appears to be coming back.

    Star Ratings Make a Return to Apple Music on iOS 10.2 Beta - Mac Rumors

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2016, 01:42 PM
  2. Apple launches searchable transcripts for WWDC 2016 session videos
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 05:12 PM
  3. Our favorite Apple Watch bands
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 01:12 PM
  4. Change in Credit Card Account Number for Apple Upgrade?
    By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
  5. New music on iTunes: ScHoolboy Q, essential album discounts, and more
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions