Warning! Cellular data usage skyrockets with iOS 10 and macOS Sierra - Here's the fix!

tonygray216

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I've installed developer betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra. My cellular data usage for June was over 20gig! I was thinking a big part of that was because I was in San Francisco for WWDC for 10 days but even after I got home it continued to go up. I was charged for 2 overages and used all my rollover data!

The problem I figured out was iCloud. On Sierra, iCloud now syncs to all devices the desktop and documents folders which I love! But there is a switch on iOS 10 "Use Cellular Data" that is ON by default. So every time I dropped a 20 meg file on my desktop, that file synced to my iPhone using cellular data and I keep a lot of stuff on my desktop. Once I found that switch and turned it off, my data hemorrhage stopped.

The switch is in Settings, iCloud, iCloud Drive and scroll all the way to the bottom for the switch. Turn it off if you have macOS Sierra installed and have cellular data caps.

I thought everyone should know...

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Also on iOS, app store updates don't respect the "Use Mobile Data" toggle in /Settings/iTunes & App Stores. Best thing is to turn off updates unless you are happy for these to occur over mobile data/LTE/Cell.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes, I remembered this today. In 9 days I have used all 6GB of my 6GB data plan. Funny thing is I haven't added anything to my MacBook in that time. I did however toggle off cellular data and hopefully that fixes it.

Dudley228

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Also on iOS, app store updates don't respect the "Use Mobile Data" toggle in /Settings/iTunes & App Stores. Best thing is to turn off updates unless you are happy for these to occur over mobile data/LTE/Cell.

With the first public beta, apps were just updating automatically and there was no stopping it. Tried the toggle and it didn't work.

Pubic Beta 2 has fixed the issue and apps don't automatically update.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had to do this a while back when I enabled iCloud Photo Library. It went through about 2gb that morning before I noticed it and shut that off which stopped it. I would have thought having Photos disabled in Cellular would have done the trick but it didn't. Though I always wonder if it was something else, but the only thing I remember changing was enabling the photo library.

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Warning! Cellular data usage skyrockets with iOS 10 and macOS Sierra - Here's...

I have unlimited data with Sprint but still good to know. Why is iOS 10 using so much data?

BradKamin

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Verizon will be moving anyone that uses over 100gb a month on the unlimited plan over to a limited data plan or terminate there plan if they choice not to switch.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will be moving anyone that uses over 100gb a month on the unlimited plan over to a limited data plan or terminate there plan if they choice not to switch.

Crazy, but I would think customers using more than 100 GB a month would be a very small minority. I've never even used half that much.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It really syncs the data down to the phone automatically, instead of just downloading it as needed (like before, in iOS 9)?

Is this a bug or intended default behavior. I cannot believe they would seriously set this as the default on a mobile device (makes sense on a PC/Laptop, though)...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2