Is there anyway to close all background apps at once in IOS 10?
    07-02-2016 03:38 AM
    Welcome to iMore! I'm not on iOS 10, so I don't know. But why would you want to close all apps in the background? Apps need to run in the background to work as they're supposed to. And no, it doesn't use excess battery.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-02-2016 04:08 AM
    Welcome to iMore! I'm not on iOS 10, so I don't know. But why would you want to close all apps in the background? Apps need to run in the background to work as they're supposed to. And no, it doesn't use excess battery.
    What he said! Closing background apps will only cause your iPhone to use more resources opening apps (because they'll no longer be running in the background). It actually hurts battery life IMO. iOS already does a great job managing resources for you. There's no reason to get involved unless you have an app acting up and need to force close it.
    mumfoau and Tartarus like this.
    07-02-2016 05:36 AM
    I have found that if you leave too many apps running and web pages open, my admittedly older devices slow down. As said devices slow down anyway with each new ios whole number upgrade, I think it is as well to shut everything down occasionally. Anyway at the risk of annoying the "leave everything to the phone"brigade I can't see that it makes a spit's worth of difference if you do shut everything off while you're plugged in to a charger,or if you open something in the same circumstances.
    I've just noticed the ios 10 bit !! never mind.
    07-02-2016 12:12 PM
    Hey I have the solution for you!
    Step 1: hold power button until the "slide to power off" shows up
    Step 2: release power button and hold the 'home' button until it goes back to home screen

Try it and tell me what do you think
    07-02-2016 10:04 PM
    You can always go to settings & just turn off background app refresh all together.
    07-03-2016 07:26 AM
    You can always go to settings & just turn off background app refresh all together.
    That doesn't stop the apps from running in the background. It just makes it more difficult for them to do so.
    07-03-2016 04:04 PM
    That doesn't stop the apps from running in the background. It just makes it more difficult for them to do so.
    Really? I had no idea...probably since I don't worry about it. Thanks
    MB64 likes this.
    07-04-2016 11:32 AM
    only for those apps that you use often. In may case, I was opening up all my apps to see which ones were compatible with IOS10, then had to go through and close each on individually. Would be cool to be able to close "all" like you can on android.

For apps that you are using all the time (for me like FB, UberSocial, etc), I leave these open in the background so the phone doesn't have to use additional resources to boot them up each time.
    07-08-2016 10:37 AM
    Is there anyway to close all background apps at once in IOS 10?
    The Apple way is double click HOME button until you see something like the attached photo then slide your finger on each card middle of screen upward up to edge of screen. It will force close each open app individually.How do I close all background apps at once in IOS 10?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1468053104.886299.jpg
    07-09-2016 03:31 AM
    Let the apps stay cached. While cached they're in a suspended state and they do not use any battery or system resources.

There seems to be some confusion about background refresh. Even though cached apps are in a suspended state, background refresh allows them to take a few seconds to update information. The weather app, for example, can be in a suspended state but still update the weather using background refresh.
    scruffypig and bcandiolo like this.
    07-11-2016 09:00 AM
    Let the apps stay cached. While cached they're in a suspended state and they do not use any battery or system resources.

There seems to be some confusion about background refresh. Even though cached apps are in a suspended state, background refresh allows them to take a few seconds to update information. The weather app, for example, can be in a suspended state but still update the weather using background refresh.
    ...all the while using battery to background refresh...
    07-11-2016 05:26 PM
    Background App Refresh uses very little battery. It helps apps to run in the background more efficiently. That's what it's for. Overall, it helps reduce battery usage.
    Sherry_B, wolfee48 and scruffypig like this.
    07-11-2016 06:14 PM
    .... use the options to disable those that you do not want to update in the background.....
    07-11-2016 07:27 PM
    Unbelievable! No one has an answer for the OP's question, but instead of admitting that this feature doesn't exist, you argue your logic as to why it is not needed. Let me ask this for all of you who subscribe to the, "let them run in the background" theory. Why is it every single time I've taken one of my devices into the Apple Store because of software issues, the first thing the "Genius" does is check to make sure there are no apps running in the background? He wasn't asking about performance of apps or battery life.
    He simply asked, "Is there any way to close all background apps at once in iOS 10?"

That is a yes or no answer, and if your answer isn't yes, you really don't even need reply.

This is why I can't stand web forums, everybody is an "expert". Even when they can't answer your question.
    vimagreg and Ospot like this.
    01-12-2017 11:21 AM
    Unbelievable! No one has an answer for the OP's question, but instead of admitting that this feature doesn't exist, you argue your logic as to why it is not needed. Let me ask this for all of you who subscribe to the, "let them run in the background" theory. Why is it every single time I've taken one of my devices into the Apple Store because of software issues, the first thing the "Genius" does is check to make sure there are no apps running in the background? He wasn't asking about performance of apps or battery life.
    He simply asked, "Is there any way to close all background apps at once in iOS 10?"

That is a yes or no answer, and if your answer isn't yes, you really don't even need reply.

This is why I can't stand web forums, everybody is an "expert". Even when they can't answer your question.
    iOS 10 had not yet been released when the OP asked his question. It was around the time the beta came out. I wasn't on it yet, so I had no idea.
    01-12-2017 12:18 PM
    As far as l'm aware that option is not available in iOS 10.2 maybe the OP can post it as a wish to be included in the next iOS update.
    01-12-2017 04:15 PM
    I had no idea.
    That is exactly my point. At least you admitted it in your original reply. My comment was mainly pointed towards the rest of the herd who just came in rambling off topic just to feel a part of something.
    Last edited by FinchMonster; 01-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    01-12-2017 05:05 PM
    That is exactly my point. At least you admitted it in your original reply. My comment was mainly pointed towards the rest of the herd who just came in rambling off topic just to feel a part of something.
    The Apple way is double click HOME button until you see something like the attached photo then slide your finger on each card middle of screen upward up to edge of screen. It will force close each open app individually.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1468053104.886299.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	109000
    This guy clearly didn't read the OP as he tells you how to close apps individually. That wasn't the question.
    01-12-2017 05:21 PM
    This guy clearly didn't read the OP as he tells you how to close apps individually. That wasn't the question.
    He said, "the Apple way". That indicates that's how it must be done. You can't close them all at the same time. This thread goes back to July. Some on here may no longer be around.
    01-12-2017 05:53 PM
    No need to stress over it.
    01-16-2017 11:06 AM
    Background App Refresh does not use a lot of battery. The apps run in the background regardless of whether BAR is enabled or not. It helps apps run more efficiently in the background. That actually saves resources.
    Rockdog97 and Annie_i6s like this.
    01-16-2017 08:10 PM
    i always wish iOS had this. i always referred to it as a "kill em all" button
    01-18-2017 08:57 PM
    i always wish iOS had this. i always referred to it as a "kill em all" button
    What reason would you do that?
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    01-18-2017 09:01 PM

Just a quick thought, if you can't stand web forums why are you here complaining?
    01-19-2017 09:32 AM
53 123