After downloading ios10, my computer will not let me turn off my apps by clicking twice
    02-09-2017 03:51 PM
    After downloading ios10, my computer will not let me turn off my apps by clicking twice
    What do you mean your computer won't let you? How does that affect you closing apps on your phone?
    MSUSpartan and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    02-09-2017 04:29 PM
    So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to". It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed. So there are 2 actual answers:
    1. You can't, on any iOS.
    2. You can if you jailbreak your device and install an app like Swipe Home. Then you can swipe the home screen like when closing an app and it will kill apps.
    Jailbreak now works on iOS 10.1-10.2 (do not upgrade to 10.2.1 if you want this), only on 64-bit devices (iPhone 5S or later).
    eespanol likes this.
    02-13-2017 09:01 AM
    Just upgraded my iPad Pro to 10.2.1 last night and I'm sorry to say that there still isn't a "close all background apps at once" feature. I have submitted it as a feature request but my batting average with requests send to Apple is still a steady 0.
    02-13-2017 09:21 AM
    Of course you can. Long press power, swipe to power off. Power the phone back on.

All apps running at the time you powered off were closed.
    02-13-2017 02:20 PM
    You don't need this in iOS. I barely close all my apps. IOS does a good job of managing background apps.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    03-10-2017 10:23 PM
    Please do your homework before you post something you obviously have not tried. Turning the device off and then on does nothing to kill all background apps. They will still be there just as when you started the process.
    04-21-2017 10:23 PM
    Please do your homework before you post something you obviously have not tried. Turning the device off and then on does nothing to kill all background apps. They will still be there just as when you started the process.
    If an app is running in the background, and you turn the phone off and then back on again, do you think that it will somehow magically continue to run in the background while the phone is turned off? Powering off will, by definition, close all apps.
    04-22-2017 05:38 AM
    If an app is running in the background, and you turn the phone off and then back on again, do you think that it will somehow magically continue to run in the background while the phone is turned off? Powering off will, by definition, close all apps.
    I believe he was saying that resetting your iPhone will not cause all open apps to close once the process is completed. In this case, he's absolutely correct.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-22-2017 06:08 AM
    Of course you can. Long press power, swipe to power off. Power the phone back on.

All apps running at the time you powered off were closed.
    Closing and starting an iPhone (or any iDevice) does not make the apps disappear from Taskswitcher. That's what the OP was asking for. It does close an app, but as soon as the phone restarts, all apps get reloaded in the cache of the phone.

You don't need this in iOS. I barely close all my apps. IOS does a good job of managing background apps.
    This is the right answer

Like I said, they get reloaded as soon as the phone restarts. You are partially right in this.

I would have used other words without being demeaning, but you're right.
    04-22-2017 06:12 AM
    So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to".
    People who say "It's better not to" are actually right. Force closing an app clears the cache. And starting it back when needed, takes more time to start said app. This causes more battery drain than when you just leave the app in the taskswitcher. Ultimately it kinda beats the purpose of killing an app. You just don't save any battery life by closing app.

It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed.
    Nope, it's not better. They may do work in the background as you said, but you just don't save any battery life, on the contrary, you cause for more battery drain.
    So there are 2 actual answers:
    this is correct.
    04-22-2017 06:19 AM
    Sorry for being pedantic, but an app in the recently used app list does not mean that it is running in the background. It's a list of the most recently opened apps still on the phone unless they have been cleared from the list. Just because an app is listed, it doesn't mean that it is running. If you have an app that is misbehaving and, for some reason, a double tap of home doesn't bring up the task list, shutting off the phone will surely close all apps that are running. If you have a 6s or 7, you can also force press on the left edge of the phone and swipe a little to the right to show the recently used app list.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-22-2017 07:04 AM
    And the OP should probably check Settings / General / Accessibility / Home Button to see what the click speed is set to.
    04-22-2017 07:11 AM
    When you power off the phone, any apps running in multitasking go into a suspended state. Just like most of the apps there that are already in that state. It doesn't kill them. The only way to kill apps in multitasking is to swipe them out. Then when you power back on, those suspended simply continue as they were. There's no way to close, or kill, all apps in bulk. If an app is closed, or killed, it won't be seen in multitasking until it's launched again.
    04-22-2017 07:40 AM
    So at this question people that don't know the answer responded: "it's better not to". It's actually better to close the apps in the app switcher because they already work in the background even when closed. So there are 2 actual answers:
    2. You can if you jailbreak your device and install an app like Swipe Home. Then you can swipe the home screen like when closing an app and it will kill apps.
    Jailbreak now works on iOS 10.1-10.2 (do not upgrade to 10.2.1 if you want this), only on 64-bit devices (iPhone 5S or later).
    Apps don't run in the background when they're closed. They're completely shut down. Apps need to run in the background so they perform as we want them to. I usually have about 100 or so apps in multitasking at any given time. Most are not running in the background. They're suspended. The only time I swipe any out, is if they misbehave.
    04-22-2017 07:56 AM
    If it's a 6s or 7, it's possible to press the left edge of the display and it does the exact same thing as a Home button double click.
    04-22-2017 08:17 AM
    If I sounded demeaning, my deepest apology. That was not my intention.

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser). So, I still have to say that your method does not work as far as "closing all running background apps".

If I want them to disappear, I need to go, one by one, pushing them up to kill them. That's the only way I have found is available. I'm on the latest iPad model, the one you can write on with the Apple pencil.

Again, apologies.
    Tartarus and eyet like this.
    04-22-2017 08:57 AM

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser). So, I still have to say that your method does not work as far as "closing all running background apps".

If I want them to disappear, I need to go, one by one, pushing them up to kill them. That's the only way I have found is available. I'm on the latest iPad model, the one you can write on with the Apple pencil.

Again, apologies.
    No apologies necessary. All is well .
    We're saying the same thing. But I do understand the confusion, it's a post with multiple quotes.
    04-22-2017 09:25 AM

Again, apologies.
    Just because they sit in multitasking doesn't mean they are running. Most are not. The main purpose of apps in multitasking is for...well...multitasking. It's so you can easily switch from one app to another. If you have 20 apps showing in multitasking, there may only be 2 or 3 that are actually running in the background. The others are suspended.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-22-2017 12:11 PM
    I personally wasn't demeaned by it. You're ok by me. My replay was, in fact, a little flippant.

Yet, on my iPad, when I shut down completely (to "off") and restart it, all the background apps are unaffected. You do the double press of the button, and you can see the 20 or so that were running before, even in the exact place you left them (like on a browser).
    There is some confusion. This is a list, in Most Recently Used (MRU) order, of the apps that have been opened in the foreground (unless you have gone in the list and swiped them away). It is not a list of apps that are running in the background. In reality, apps do not really run in the background - they continue to finish some operations when you switch away, and occasionally are reactivated to process any incoming messages, but otherwise they remain suspended. Anyway, this list is supposed to be used primarily as a task switcher between most recently used tasks. In my opinion, anyway, the ability to swipe an unresponsive app to close it is a secondary function of this list of recently used apps. As far as I know, Apple calls it the "task switcher" officially. See https://developer.apple.com/library/...38/_index.html

I believe that most of us have been saying the same thing in different ways, and perhaps interpreting the original post differently.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-22-2017 01:32 PM
    And that's that. Thank you. I guess there was a reason it was designed as it was on purpose by Apple. Your explanation makes total sense. Thank you for the explanation. Best.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-22-2017 05:25 PM
46 12