Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Is there a way to block callers or text messages like in iOS 9?
    Because adding them all to contacts makes my contact list uselessly bigger.
  2. #2  
    tr1ad's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    I've blocked nuisance callers from the call log without adding to contacts with the iOS 10 beta
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    If you receive a call from somebody not in your contacts, go to the phone app, to recents, tap the !, scroll down and hit block this caller.

    I don't see any reason to add that person to your contacts.
    (I'm on iOS 10 Beta)
    Sherry_B likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr1ad View Post
    I've blocked nuisance callers from the call log without adding to contacts with the iOS 10 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    If you receive a call from somebody not in your contacts, go to the phone app, to recents, tap the !, scroll down and hit block this caller.

    I don't see any reason to add that person to your contacts.
    (I'm on iOS 10 Beta)

    How about text messages?
  5. #5  

    Default Blocking people in iOS 10.

    There is already an option in iOS 9 to filter unknown senders into a separate list and disable notifications for them.

    I'm not sure if the phone blocking works with messages, tho.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Yes, you can block message numbers.
    1.


    2.


    3.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    How about text messages?
    Same way. I do this all the time with @Ledsteplin's same method.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    How about text messages?
    If you block the phone number, you won't receive their texts. No need to try and block twice.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Same way. I do this all the time with @Ledsteplin's same method.

    This option isn't there, in iOS 10.

  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkisharif View Post
    If you block the phone number, you won't receive their texts. No need to try and block twice.
    If I go to Settings => Phone => Blocked => Add New, I can only select from my contacts.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    If you receive a call from somebody not in your contacts, go to the phone app, to recents, tap the !, scroll down and hit block this caller.

    I don't see any reason to add that person to your contacts.
    (I'm on iOS 10 Beta)
    That's only if the person calls you. Not if you don't want to be texted by a certain number, anymore.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    This option isn't there, in iOS 10.

    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7b1bddfc34.jpg
    Put it in a bug report. Maybe it's an oversight they'll fix. If enough people report it.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    If I go to Settings => Phone => Blocked => Add New, I can only select from my contacts.
    You should see the number. Add it to Contacts. Then go to Settings> Messages > blocked > add new. After blocking the number, delete it from contacts. Might work.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    If I go to Settings => Phone => Blocked => Add New, I can only select from my contacts.
    Interesting...I've never tried that way before but it makes sense for it to work that way. Usually people block numbers they know. If it's not a number you know, then it's easier to block from the call log.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkisharif View Post
    Interesting...I've never tried that way before but it makes sense for it to work that way. Usually people block numbers they know. If it's not a number you know, then it's easier to block from the call log.
    Text messages don't show on the call log.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Text messages don't show on the call log.
    My apologies....I've been replying from my iPad that's still running iOS 9 & you can block unsaved numbers from the messages app. I just checked my phone which is on 10 & the option is only there for contacts. It has to be a bug.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkisharif View Post
    My apologies....I've been replying from my iPad that's still running iOS 9 & you can block unsaved numbers from the messages app. I just checked my phone which is on 10 & the option is only there for contacts. It has to be a bug.
    Hopefully they'll spot it and fix it.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Hopefully they'll spot it and fix it.
    That'd be very nice!
  19. #19  

    Default Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    That'd be very nice!
    Actually, all you need do is create a contact. Call it whatever. "Blocked" is a good name. Then add blocked numbers to it as you get them and block them.
    I don't get very many text messages that are not from a contact. I doubt I get 1 per year.
    Last edited by Ledsteplin; 06-25-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    nikkisharif likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Actually, all you need do is creat a contact. Call it whatever. "Blocked" is a good name. Then add blocked numbers to it as you get them and block them.
    I don't get very many text messages that are not from a contact. I doubt I get 1 per year.
    That's a good idea
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Actually, all you need do is creat a contact. Call it whatever. "Blocked" is a good name. Then add blocked numbers to it as you get them and block them.
    I don't get very many text messages that are not from a contact. I doubt I get 1 per year.
    It's currently available without creating a contact. Should still be that way (ease of process!) ... hopefully it makes it to the official release.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    It's currently available without creating a contact. Should still be that way (ease of process!) ... hopefully it makes it to the official release.
    Great!

    How do I do it?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    It's currently available without creating a contact. Should still be that way (ease of process!) ... hopefully it makes it to the official release.
    Would you like to show folks how? I'm not on iOS 10.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    It's currently available without creating a contact. Should still be that way (ease of process!) ... hopefully it makes it to the official release.
    How do you do it Robert? Explain!
    Tartarus likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Blocking people in iOS 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    Great!

    How do I do it?
    I mean on iOS 9. Hope it makes it to official release for 10 if it's not already.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM
  2. Instagram is now used by 500 million people
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 10:40 AM
  3. Opera brings its ad blocking feature to iPhone and iPad
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 06:30 AM
  4. KIK messenger contact I was talking to now showing up under new people?
    By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2016, 10:56 AM
  5. Why is Twitter Blocking My New Website as Spam?
    By ProgressBrief in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions