Raise to wake

cichlidmania

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
So what happens if your home button breaks? Can you place your finger on Touch ID and then use assistive touch home button to open the phone instead of the physical home button if it is broke?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think raise to wake as a feature is useful. But, when it's awake from being raised, simply putting my finger on the home button should unlock the phone. No press should be required.

My opinion though

I totally agree....I just hope we get this when iOS 10 is released.

Heh, yes, in this respect Apple is definitely becoming more like Samsung (not a good thing). Consumers are lazy and fickle. They don't want to learn anything new so Apple reacting to every feeling of dissent is not a good thing. Use the darn power button on the side people. It's not that hard. Instead we get this awful behavior.

Agreed!!! I thought it was really fast too but after a couple of times, I used the power button to see notifications on my lock screen. This wasn't even something that should have been reported to apple & they shouldn't have changed the way we use Touch ID...I really hope they change it back.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've come to realize that during change (anything), there is always somethings I'm going to like and somethings I'm not going to like. The question is ...is it's to much change for my liking or disliking for me to move along.
I say bring on iOS 10 and let me have my new iPhone

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've come to realize that during change (anything), there is always somethings I'm going to like and somethings I'm not going to like. The question is ...is it's to much change for my liking or disliking for me to move along.
I say bring on iOS 10 and let me have my new iPhone

^this.........but I still hate pressing the home button LOL

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Cool feature but will turn off as soon as I upgrade OS. With touch ID being so fast, I don't see the purpose.

True. But Apple changed the Touch ID functionality by implementing pressing down the home button to unlock your phone now because people were complaining about Touch ID being to fast

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
True. But Apple changed the Touch ID functionality by implementing pressing down the home button to unlock your phone now because people were complaining about Touch ID being to fast

That's how it's always been. If the screen isn't awake, Touch ID won't unlock the phone. You have to press the home button or the sleep/wake button either way. With raise to wake, though, it would seem logical to allow Touch ID to work when the screen wakes... maybe a toggle in settings for those who understand having their finger on the home button will unlock, vs having to press.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That's how it's always been. If the screen isn't awake, Touch ID won't unlock the phone. You have to press the home button or the sleep/wake button either way. With raise to wake, though, it would seem logical to allow Touch ID to work when the screen wakes... maybe a toggle in settings for those who understand having their finger on the home button will unlock, vs having to press.

I use to open my phone when a notification came through or press the sleep/wake button. I hate that clicking of the home button reminds me of those irritating keyboard clicks

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use to open my phone when a notification came through or press the sleep/wake button. I hate that clicking of the home button reminds me of those irritating keyboard clicks

I'm seeing rumors now the new home button will be Force Touch. Should be interesting what they do with it. Maybe it's not a physical button anymore, but you force touch to open :) We'll see.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So far what I'm hearing about the home button, I don't like, but it's not even close to make me give up my iPhone

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing rumors now the new home button will be Force Touch. Should be interesting what they do with it. Maybe it's not a physical button anymore, but you force touch to open :) We'll see.

That would be perfect...the clicking is deafening I'm very tempted to go back to 9.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So I thought raise to wake would be convenient while traveling since my boarding pass always displays on my lock screen but it's horrible. As soon as I turn the phone so I can scan the boarding pass, the screens cuts off. I had to unlock my phone & open wallet in order for the screen to stay lit long enough to scan. Hopefully this gets corrected with the release this fall.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I thought raise to wake would be convenient while traveling since my boarding pass always displays on my lock screen but it's horrible. As soon as I turn the phone so I can scan the boarding pass, the screens cuts off. I had to unlock my phone & open wallet in order for the screen to stay lit long enough to scan. Hopefully this gets corrected with the release this fall.

Feedback! :)

leemikes

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yep. Raise-to-Wake requires the m9 motion coprocessor only found on the SE/6s/6s-plus/7/7plus. Could it have been enabled on 6/6plus? Probably. But it would have killed hour battery continually monitoring motion in a non-power efficient manner.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods