What are your thoughts on Apple's iOS 10 announcement?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to iOS 10. I guess it really doesn't matter to me if it's a small or large update, just keepem' coming. I do like how Apple has decided to open up more to Devs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For me, it was pretty underwhelming. I'm not interested in the changes to iMessage and I hope the new features are not shoved down our throats. The continued lack of a selective sync option for iCloud drive was a big disappointment as well.

The changes to photos seem promising, but any optimism was quickly wiped out when told the new features (Faces and smart albums) are device only.

The Music changes seem good... and big kudos to Bozoma St John for a great presentation to a very stiff WWDC crowd.

I know the technology between Google and Apple is "Monkey See, Monkey Do"...... but Google's I/O in May was a hell of a lot more intriguing than this WWDC.

I guess an auditorium full of developer geeks just doesn't rock, sway and roll. Their heart was there though.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I must also add, I'm looking forward to the INSTANT opening of an app on the Apple Watch...

Edit: oops, that's Apple Watch OS3, no?

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I really hope there will be a way to disable all these nonsense features in iMessage... I'm probably too old for this stuff and get that today's kids for some reasons unbeknownst to me NEED that stuff (replace "kids" with "the entire Chinese populace" at your own will) but I really don't won't to get bothered by secret messages or dancing bananas amongst fireworks and a dull yet annoying jingle playing in the background.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I really hope there will be a way to disable all these nonsense features in iMessage... I'm probably too old for this stuff and get that today's kids for some reasons unbeknownst to me NEED that stuff (replace "kids" with "the entire Chinese populace" at your own will) but I really don't won't to get bothered by secret messages or dancing bananas amongst fireworks and a dull yet annoying jingle playing in the background.

The world's entire Chinese population needs nonsense iMessage features? Interesting.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The world's entire Chinese population needs nonsense iMessage features? Interesting.

I just spent twelve weeks travelling around Asia and among those four weeks in China, and in my personal opinion yes, these changes were introduced primarily to make the iPhone more attractive to Chinese youth and young adults (which, granted, is the world's entire Chinese population). Just take a look at WeChat, the #1 messaging app in China, and you'll understand ;)

WeChat does a lot more than that (pay your restaurant bill, order a black cab, send money to your friends, access wifi hotspots, etc.) but it's also where the nonsense originated.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just spent twelve weeks travelling around Asia and among those four weeks in China, and in my personal opinion yes, these changes were introduced primarily to make the iPhone more attractive to Chinese youth and young adults (which, granted, is the world's entire Chinese population). Just take a look at WeChat, the #1 messaging app in China, and you'll understand ;)

WeChat does a lot more than that (pay your restaurant bill, order a black cab, send money to your friends, access wifi hotspots, etc.) but it's also where the nonsense originated.

Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
After using iOS 10 for the past couple days I have came to some conclusions. It feels like they are trying too hard to add functionally to areas of the OS that have basic functions. Every time I picked up my iPhone to use it, I would slide to unlock and boom, widgets. A lock screen is meant for locking a device and showing notifications. Same with iMessage, there is to many complications to complete a simple task of "TYPING A TEXT". Too many swipes just to add balloons to a message. Oh yeah "one more thing", the iMessage upgrades will only work if both devices sending and receiving are running iOS 10 . They really need to stay focused on the ideas and products that made them who they are and stop trying to impress China, because one day they will become who they are chasing and nobody likes a cheap knock off.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I am neither here or there with it. I just hope it doesn't bring major bigs like the other new releases.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I am neither here or there with it. I just hope it doesn't bring major bigs like the other new releases.

With all these "new" features , I'm also hoping the "bugs" will be minimal. I hate BUGS.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I think is more closer to Android than it ever was before. Not sure if apple said we can delete stock apps because that's not really true because we can hide them and not delete the app. No more love for the iPad ? I think before they don't change it people won't buy one because what's the point having all the power and still same grid on a big screen

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
After using iOS 10 for the past couple days I have came to some conclusions. It feels like they are trying too hard to add functionally to areas of the OS that have basic functions. Every time I picked up my iPhone to use it, I would slide to unlock and boom, widgets. A lock screen is meant for locking a device and showing notifications. Same with iMessage, there is to many complications to complete a simple task of "TYPING A TEXT". Too many swipes just to add balloons to a message. Oh yeah "one more thing", the iMessage upgrades will only work if both devices sending and receiving are running iOS 10 . They really need to stay focused on the ideas and products that made them who they are and stop trying to impress China, because one day they will become who they are chasing and nobody likes a cheap knock off.

Ios 10 is only out since yesterday...

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Definitely a BETA ...lots of things don't work on iPad4

BUT

really like using HOME to open instead of swipe ...

some of the new iMessage features are fun but will not pass to ios 9 devices (which is understandable & expected).

BUT

Notifications will take me some time to get used to

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Based on the info below, it doesn't sound like I'm getting my storage space back. So, what's the point of 'deleting', or should I say, hidding the app?

"To re-download a built-in app, you go to the App Store and search for it like any other app. The difference is though, if you tap the get button to re-download it, it doesn't actually have to download any data. It just switches the app back on."

For me, the point is that I don't have to see it in a folder and/or my start screen. To me, that is great. The fact that it appears like I can finally only have the apps I use and like on my phone is awesome. No other phone can do that right now. (I mean without flashing and/or rooting the phone)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have since ceased my use of folders so 'deleting' apps will help with another compulsion and that is to have as few pages as possible

Last edited:

duke821

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm FREAKING OUT about losing widgets from the Today pulldown. This is a huge step backwards when it comes to widget usefulness (and more like Android) in my book. I so often use the current feature while typing an email, or in a phone call, or messaging, to simply pull down and look at my calendar, check a date, and then respond without having to leave the app I'm in and either multitask to the calendar or go home and find the widget. This is a terrible loss in true glanceable information, which is the whole point of widgets and was such an advantage over Android!! So now, I have to go somewhere to see my calendar? What's the point of the widget then, I might as well just go to the calendar app! Everything looks great, and I understand they want to make the pull down notification area cleaner, but this is a sad loss. I can't imagine I'm the only person who found the ability to access all widgets any time from any place on the phone, be it while in an app or phone call or anything, a great thing!

Mark Peterson

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, notification shade dedicated to NOTHING but notifications. And still nothing in the statusbar to alert the user they actually have notifications to read....

How can such a blatantly obvious oversight STILL be untouched?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR