What are your thoughts on Apple's iOS 10 announcement?

EaglePilot81

Banned
Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: What are your thoughts on today's iOS 10 announcement?

I don't use Siri, I don't use emojis and won't use any of the new stuff they added to messages. It would of been nice to have widgets on the home screen and maybe a redesign of the home screen. Also i never use the news app. The new changes to notifications done excit me. Everything I wanted apple to fix was not addressed, so overall I am not impressed and find this update the most boring iOS ever.

phillysdon04

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

It's great to have some of the features I loved from Android being incorporated into iOS.

Jumpman89

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the poster who said I think the iMessage upgrades are geared more towards children but I am hoping there will be a way to disable and turn off those features if you don't want to use them.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

This was all software updates for current devices, you won't be paying anything for it.

I wasn't talking about upgrading to the iPhone 7, it was simply a general observation.

That being said some might require an upgrade since, as far as I understood, some features such as the clear all for notifications will require 3D-Touch. Which is stupid because it's completely unnecessary (long press, anyone?) and only a way for Apple to make a hardware upgrade more tempting. Understandable from a business perspective of course.

The very moment they introduced it I knew Apple would use 3D-Touch as such: introduce new features or replace old ones relying thereon without the necessity thereof.

By the way I REALLY hope there will be a way to disable that entire messages mumbo jumbo crap. Nothing worse than sitting somewhere with your phone going off on some crazy jingle because one of your retarded friends thought it'd be funny to send you a dancing banana sticker with full screen background animation and audio playing the tune of the crazy folk...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It's software, and I don't really think iOS software is worth getting hyped about....personal opinion haha

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

Another nice feature in iOS 10 beta is more user guidance about insecure WIFI networks.
IMG_0090.PNG

eseerc

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

For me, it was pretty underwhelming. I'm not interested in the changes to iMessage and I hope the new features are not shoved down our throats. The continued lack of a selective sync option for iCloud drive was a big disappointment as well.

The changes to photos seem promising, but any optimism was quickly wiped out when told the new features (Faces and smart albums) are device only.

The Music changes seem good... and big kudos to Bozoma St John for a great presentation to a very stiff WWDC crowd.

I know the technology between Google and Apple is "Monkey See, Monkey Do"...... but Google's I/O in May was a hell of a lot more intriguing than this WWDC.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Overall, Apple has made a number of its services much more powerful. When we see some of this stuff in action, we'll fully appreciate it. Until then, it's a somewhat low key affair.

For example, allowing Siri to interact with your Apps can make Siri significantly more power.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Overall, Apple has made a number of its services much more powerful. When we see some of this stuff in action, we'll fully appreciate it. Until then, it's a somewhat low key affair.

For example, allowing Siri to interact with your Apps can make Siri significantly more power.

Opening Siri up to devs and allowing devs to extend into stock apps are both huge.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I see the points about changes to iMessage, but that is fine, they are trying to ensure younger customers don't leave the Apple Eccosystem, hence possibly walk away from iOS devices. This makes sense. Good thing is you don't have to use these features, and if by chance a "young" person sends you a message, that is their choice.

Not sure what you were expecting from a platform that is now v10, however for me I think the new Notification Center is great, changes to notifications are in the right direction, the new lock screen changes are also excellent (fixing the camera access issues), news I might start using, Apple Music is now usable (was only using as I have a free subscription from my telco), major step forward with control centre, side by side in safari on ipad big tick, Siri changes are long overdue and will make me use it more, iMessages (not my fav changes, but understand why), photos app (might get me to use it), maps changes are dramatic (noticed this yesterday when using), HomeKit is something I now want to check out, anti-spam for inbound calls is good, voicemail transcription can't wait, the VoIP API to allow integration for Skype/FaceBook Messenger/etc, small changes in mail, ability to delete most stock apps, lock screen changes so I don't miss notifications with touchID getting so speedy, multi email compose on iPad, better iCloud Drive integration, continuity clipboard, international improvements for language support (type and Siri), markup in messages, better iPad Camera UI, live filters for photos, CarPlay improvements, rest and type for iPad keyboard, Apple Pay in browser, data detection and event finding in messages (like they had in mail) and a whole pile more.

Actually quite a pile of things when you look at it.

Not to mention some hidden things I'm sure that will enable the iPhone 7 when launched later in the year.

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site

My biggest wish was the Apple Music getting High Quality Audio but clearly it's a miss for me.
Rest of the things are welcome

zscoony

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

Some good new features and improvements but very disappointed yet again at Apple's total lack of iPad improvements. It certainly doesn't encourage devs to create for the iPad!

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm VERY thankful for the option to remove\delete the default apps that I'll NEVER use. Give me my 'space\storage' back ;)
It would be interesting if after deleting said default apps, if there is an update to the OS, does it reinstall those items...!

Yep, interesting question(s) ahead...

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm VERY thankful for the option to remove\delete the default apps that I'll NEVER use. Give me my 'space\storage' back ;)
It would be interesting if after deleting said default apps, if there is an update to the OS, does it reinstall those items...!

I'd be interested in knowing if one could have other apps become default if stocked apps were "deleted"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You may find the iMore Blog article viewed by selecting the below link to be quite interesting...:)

http://www.imore.com/how-deleting-apple-apps-works-in-ios-10

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You may find the iMore Blog article viewed by selecting the below link to be quite interesting...:)

http://www.imore.com/how-deleting-apple-apps-works-in-ios-10

Interesting, although it doesn't answer the first question that comes to my mind: What if I need to do something that needs an app that I've uninstalled? For instance, what if I removed Mail and then needed to send an email? How does that work? From what I've read there really isn't a clear answer. The common sense thing would be for iOS to allow users to set another default app, but we know what Apple thinks about that!

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
One more thing I'd like to add, as others have mentioned. I'm not too fond of the 'enhancements' to iMessage. Honestly, fancy icons to use and the likes. Not for me, and if people start sending me those, I might have to block them - LMAO!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2