Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Default iMessage for android?

This would be interesting if they do this. Especially with rumors of the iPhone 7 looking basically like the 6s. Would definitely consider trying out an android, since iMessage is the main reason I stay with IOS. Apple planning to bring iMessage to Android at WWDC

Default Re: iMessage for android?

I heard that earlier. Might be kind of cool, will have to see!
    Premium1 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,896 Global Posts

Probably makes it easier to go cross-platform if they plan on using iMessage to directly send money to someone through an iMessage.

Interesting, although I question what's in it for them. Apple doesn't bring services to other platforms unless they can make money on it.
    mumfoau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishBanker View Post
    Interesting, although I question what's in it for them. Apple doesn't bring services to other platforms unless they can make money on it.
    mobile to mobile payments like @BreakingKayfabe mentioned seems logical.... we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    mobile to mobile payments like @BreakingKayfabe mentioned seems logical.... we'll have to see.
    I agree with that but they also need to weigh revenues generated by P2P payments against the possibility of losing iPhone users due to opening up iMessage to other platforms. I don't have the metadata on it but I'm sure Apple does.

I agree with that but they also need to weigh revenues generated by P2P payments against the possibility of losing iPhone users due to opening up iMessage to other platforms. I don't have the metadata on it but I'm sure Apple does.
    Probably!
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    This would be interesting if they do this. Especially with rumors of the iPhone 7 looking basically like the 6s. Would definitely consider trying out an android, since iMessage is the main reason I stay with IOS. Apple planning to bring iMessage to Android at WWDC
    What difference does it make what the iPhone 7 looks like ? I put mine in a Pelican case anyway. I've had an Android device in the past, so I'm do going to bust my work flow / life flow just because the
    7+ looks like my 6+. Besides, it's what's on the inside that counts anyway.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,277 Global Posts

Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?
    dfb8085 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anony_mouse View Post
    Delivery confirmations, longer messages, sync between devices, high res photos and videos, seamless integration. Just naming a few.
    I've never felt the need to use WhatsApp simply because iMessage serves my needs.
    kataran likes this.

Delivery confirmations, longer messages, sync between devices, high res photos and videos, seamless integration. Just naming a few.
    I've never felt the need to use WhatsApp simply because iMessage serves my needs.
    Used to use WhatsApp when I had a limited texting plan, and it used only data. Then iMessage comes along, and I deleted it. Haven't had the need to use it at all. And it will send a SMS when going to users who are not using iMessage, so it's win-win.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

Because I travel the world for work. Try sending and receiving SMS messages internationally. It's pricey even with an international plan. With AT&T wifi calling and an iPhone, I can use my iPhone just like I do in the states when I am on a wifi network. A few communist block countries block/ prohibit wifi calling, but I avoid those places. I believe iMessage works everywhere. I haven't tried WhatsApp.
    chrisforpm likes this.

iMessage is by far the best texting platform I've found to date
    Closingracer and BlaineP like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,277 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Used to use WhatsApp when I had a limited texting plan, and it used only data. Then iMessage comes along, and I deleted it. Haven't had the need to use it at all. And it will send a SMS when going to users who are not using iMessage, so it's win-win.
    No, it's a win-lose. iMessage is free for you, but it's bad for others. They have to reply to you using SMS, costing you money.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that anyone uses iMessage. I don't have anything specifically against it, but WhatsApp seems to be the universal messaging platform now, and supports photos, videos, groups, etc for everyone. I very rarely receive SMS's now (a few times per month), despite not having iMessage.

No, it's a win-lose. iMessage is free for you, but it's bad for others. They have to reply to you using SMS, costing you money.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that anyone uses iMessage. I don't have anything specifically against it, but WhatsApp seems to be the universal messaging platform now, and supports photos, videos, groups, etc for everyone. I very rarely receive SMS's now (a few times per month), despite not having iMessage.
    How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,277 Global Posts

How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.
    The person you are corresponding with who doesn't have iMessage is the one sending SMS's. The fact you use iMessage rather than WhatsApp costs them money.

I'd rather not reveal where I live, but my WhatsApp correspondents are Android and iPhone users. Apart from the cost, iMessage doesn't work well when you're messaging non-iPhone users (or iPhone users who have disabled iMessage) because you can't send and receive pictures, videos, etc.

Doesn't cost me anything My bill hasn't changed in years, except when I've added lines or increased my GB allowance.

I'm curious to see if it changes once iMessage comes out for Android. Once iMessage came out, and I realized most everyone I communicated with at length also had it, I deleted WhatsApp and haven't had it on my iOS device since. It's been over 4 years and I don't miss it at all. I think WhatsApp is probably bigger outside the U.S.

I'd rather not reveal where I live, but my WhatsApp correspondents are Android and iPhone users. Apart from the cost, iMessage doesn't work well when you're messaging non-iPhone users (or iPhone users who have disabled iMessage) because you can't send and receive pictures, videos, etc.
    I send pictures, etc., to non iPhone users all the time through iMessage. It recognizes the recipient as a non-iMessage and converts it to SMS. There's a setting in iOS to enable SMS, so I need that on when sending. If you're in an area outside the U.S. where that costs quite a bit, I can see where you're coming from.

The person you are corresponding with who doesn't have iMessage is the one sending SMS's. The fact you use iMessage rather than WhatsApp costs them money.

Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone I know paying for SMS messages for probably ten years.
    kataran likes this.

I've never understood the attraction to WhatsApp. Never used it or needed it. I use iMessage and sometimes Facebook Messenger. And Slack for biz.

Most plans in the US are unlimited SMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I've never understood the attraction to WhatsApp. Never used it or needed it. I use iMessage and sometimes Facebook Messenger. And Slack for biz.
    Not since iMessage (2012). Before I only had 200 text/mo plan and would go over. WhatsApp helped with that, iPhone to iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    Most plans in the US are unlimited SMS
    That's where the difference is -- @anony_mouse is in a different part of the globe and it's probably not that way.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,277 Global Posts

I can't comment on the US, but in many countries SMS is paid per message, especially on cheaper tariffs. MMS (for picture messages) is often very expensive, and is never included in tariffs. A random British network I just checked out charges 40p (USD 0.57) per MMS. And in my experience MMS often doesn't work - European networks don't seem to bother setting it up any more even for use in the home network. I've never known MMS work when roaming (and would be very wary trying, as charges would be unpredictable).

Note this story about a British operator advising people to use WhatsApp or Skype instead of MMS: Three suggests you use WhatsApp or Skype instead of expensive MMS*
    They don't even mention iMessage.

I can't comment on the US, but in many countries SMS is paid per message, especially on cheaper tariffs. MMS (for picture messages) is often very expensive, and is never included in tariffs. A random British network I just checked out charges 40p (USD 0.57) per MMS. And in my experience MMS often doesn't work - European networks don't seem to bother setting it up any more even for use in the home network. I've never known MMS work when roaming (and would be very wary trying, as charges would be unpredictable).

Note this story about a British operator advising people to use WhatsApp or Skype instead of MMS: Three suggests you use WhatsApp or Skype instead of expensive MMS*
    They don't even mention iMessage.
    So it's fair to say things are much different in different parts of the world, which is why I don't use WhatsApp and you do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast