iMessage for android?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, although I question what's in it for them. Apple doesn't bring services to other platforms unless they can make money on it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
mobile to mobile payments like @BreakingKayfabe mentioned seems logical.... we'll have to see.

I agree with that but they also need to weigh revenues generated by P2P payments against the possibility of losing iPhone users due to opening up iMessage to other platforms. I don't have the metadata on it but I'm sure Apple does.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
This would be interesting if they do this. Especially with rumors of the iPhone 7 looking basically like the 6s. Would definitely consider trying out an android, since iMessage is the main reason I stay with IOS. Apple planning to bring iMessage to Android at WWDC

What difference does it make what the iPhone 7 looks like ? I put mine in a Pelican case anyway. I've had an Android device in the past, so I'm do going to bust my work flow / life flow just because the
7+ looks like my 6+. Besides, it's what's on the inside that counts anyway. :yes:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?

Delivery confirmations, longer messages, sync between devices, high res photos and videos, seamless integration. Just naming a few.
I've never felt the need to use WhatsApp simply because iMessage serves my needs.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Delivery confirmations, longer messages, sync between devices, high res photos and videos, seamless integration. Just naming a few.
I've never felt the need to use WhatsApp simply because iMessage serves my needs.

Used to use WhatsApp when I had a limited texting plan, and it used only data. Then iMessage comes along, and I deleted it. Haven't had the need to use it at all. And it will send a SMS when going to users who are not using iMessage, so it's win-win.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Why would anyone use iMessage? Why not WhatsApp? Or just good old SMS?

Because I travel the world for work. Try sending and receiving SMS messages internationally. It's pricey even with an international plan. With AT&T wifi calling and an iPhone, I can use my iPhone just like I do in the states when I am on a wifi network. A few communist block countries block/ prohibit wifi calling, but I avoid those places. I believe iMessage works everywhere. I haven't tried WhatsApp.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Used to use WhatsApp when I had a limited texting plan, and it used only data. Then iMessage comes along, and I deleted it. Haven't had the need to use it at all. And it will send a SMS when going to users who are not using iMessage, so it's win-win.

No, it's a win-lose. iMessage is free for you, but it's bad for others. They have to reply to you using SMS, costing you money.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that anyone uses iMessage. I don't have anything specifically against it, but WhatsApp seems to be the universal messaging platform now, and supports photos, videos, groups, etc for everyone. I very rarely receive SMS's now (a few times per month), despite not having iMessage.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, it's a win-lose. iMessage is free for you, but it's bad for others. They have to reply to you using SMS, costing you money.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that anyone uses iMessage. I don't have anything specifically against it, but WhatsApp seems to be the universal messaging platform now, and supports photos, videos, groups, etc for everyone. I very rarely receive SMS's now (a few times per month), despite not having iMessage.

How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
How does someone SMSing me cost me money? Honestly, I know hardly anybody using WhatsApp. Where do you live? I'm wondering if usage varies a lot by location.

The person you are corresponding with who doesn't have iMessage is the one sending SMS's. The fact you use iMessage rather than WhatsApp costs them money.

I'd rather not reveal where I live, but my WhatsApp correspondents are Android and iPhone users. Apart from the cost, iMessage doesn't work well when you're messaging non-iPhone users (or iPhone users who have disabled iMessage) because you can't send and receive pictures, videos, etc.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Doesn't cost me anything :) My bill hasn't changed in years, except when I've added lines or increased my GB allowance.

I'm curious to see if it changes once iMessage comes out for Android. Once iMessage came out, and I realized most everyone I communicated with at length also had it, I deleted WhatsApp and haven't had it on my iOS device since. It's been over 4 years and I don't miss it at all. I think WhatsApp is probably bigger outside the U.S.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather not reveal where I live, but my WhatsApp correspondents are Android and iPhone users. Apart from the cost, iMessage doesn't work well when you're messaging non-iPhone users (or iPhone users who have disabled iMessage) because you can't send and receive pictures, videos, etc.

I send pictures, etc., to non iPhone users all the time through iMessage. It recognizes the recipient as a non-iMessage and converts it to SMS. There's a setting in iOS to enable SMS, so I need that on when sending. If you're in an area outside the U.S. where that costs quite a bit, I can see where you're coming from.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The person you are corresponding with who doesn't have iMessage is the one sending SMS's. The fact you use iMessage rather than WhatsApp costs them money.

Interesting. I haven't heard of anyone I know paying for SMS messages for probably ten years.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never understood the attraction to WhatsApp. Never used it or needed it. I use iMessage and sometimes Facebook Messenger. And Slack for biz.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox