I can't believe I bought an iPhone...

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Just as the title implies, I just can't really fathom how this happened. I've been avoiding all things iPhone since 2009 when I was still rocking the LG Shine. My first experiences with smartphones was the Droid Incredible from HTC, at the time running HTC Sense over Froyo. I have to say that that phone is still the greatest experience I ever got in a phone. After that, my experiences turned into a rollercoaster ride. Lots of ups, downs, and everything in between. I eventually upgraded to the Droid Incredible 2, but found it was a pale imitator of its older sister. This led me to the Google Nexus, which was woefully crippled by Verizon. This was the phone that ruined Android for me forever. Its crippled nature as well as the horrible Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean OS's pushed me so far off the map that I landed onto Windows Phone.

And I was really happy on Windows Phone for a long time. I started with a WP7 phone from Samsung running Mango, a phone I only bought for use in Europe on vacation. But there was something about the way that it... didn't fight me. It just did what I wanted it to do. When I got back from vacation, I dropped the Nexus and switched carriers to get the Nokia Lumia 820. But there was trouble in paradise a few months in.

The phone itself was and still is phenomenal. It runs even the latest 8.1 firmware without any flaw. So what happened? Well, it turns out that using any sort of Microsoft product with a Macbook Pro is just asking for trouble. It's akin to trying to spin a CD on a turntable. It just doesn't work. It looks like it will, and then it doesn't. As much as I love Windows Phone as a platform, my decision to break up with it was born out of the perfect storm. The phone became increasingly difficult to sync music with; the SD card reader just didn't like to connect to the computer anymore; and then came the dissolution of Nokia and Microsoft's marriage. This meant that Microsoft was going to herald the software as well as the hardware. This is the issue. Microsoft did a stellar job with the operating system up until that point. It always remained fluid and fast, great on higher end and lower end devices. But Nokia made and still makes the greatest phones in terms of durability, style, and class. The newest range of Lumias from Microsoft was a total slap in the face to somebody who had been supporting the platform since Mango. The final nail in the coffin was the hideous Windows 10 preview, which aims to make the mobile operating system similar to that of the Surface. All the things that made WP7 and WP8 special-- Hubs, that subway-map-inspired language design, panoramic app layout-- had been removed. I was done.

Aside from a very brief affair with the Xperia Z2 (which reconfirmed how much I hate Google, particularly after refusing to offer Windows Phone apps), it was time that I said goodbye to Windows Phone for good.

And thus.

I gave in and bought the iPhone 4S. And while it hasn't been an entirely smooth experience (due to the phone's age), I would like to humbly eat my crow and say that I was dead wrong about this platform. All the concerns I had (back when iOS was on version 3 or something) have been addressed, for the most part: multitasking, customizable notification shade, quick controls for the music player, and the fact that iOS 8 brings customizable keyboards. It shows that Apple is learning to find the balance between user control and company consistency. I'm very impressed with the major, major improvements. Aside from the battery life, it's been quite good. I can't knock the phone too hard for battery life issues when it's running a much more advanced OS and it's already a number of years old. If things keep up over time, I'm more than positive my next phone with be the iPhone 5S, 6, or whatever comes out after that.

Humble pie never tasted so good.

Price is still ridic, tho.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to imore, if I were you I would get an iPhone 6 or 6+ stat, it's night and day compared to the 4s.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 4s may not run as smooth on iOS 7 and 8. But you can do these things to help.
To help your 4s run as smooth as possible, try these suggestions.
1. Leave 20% or more of your internal storage space free. This helps to not constrain the system.
2. Get rid of unnecessary features. Yeah, some are cool, but they will bog down an older model phone.
3. Disable transparency effects. Toggle on "Increase Transparency" in Accessibility.
4. Toggle off "Background App Refresh".
Good luck. And welcome to iMore!

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
The 4s may not run as smooth on iOS 7 and 8. But you can do these things to help.
To help your 4s run as smooth as possible, try these suggestions.
1. Leave 20% or more of your internal storage space free. This helps to not constrain the system.
2. Get rid of unnecessary features. Yeah, some are cool, but they will bog down an older model phone.
3. Disable transparency effects. Toggle on "Increase Transparency" in Accessibility.
4. Toggle off "Background App Refresh".
Good luck. And welcome to iMore!

Thanks! I've actually done most of these. I switched off the paralax (sp?) effects, keep location off as much as possible, and severely choked it in terms of unnecessary notifications that I do not care about.

And thanks for all the welcomes! :)

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
You're in for a real treat when you upgrade to a newer iPhone. You think you like it now... :)

I kinda disagree with you about the Nokia/Microsoft thing. I used a 920 for 2 years and loved the OS, but the phone got really hot and had terrible battery life. You could fry an egg on it while using the GPS. Every single WP Nokia released was missing some feature, gimped on RAM or had a hardware defective design in some way or another. With the release of the 640 and 640XL, I think Microsoft is going to get the balance right from here on out. As for the OS, they're being forced to make apps look/function more like Android/iOS in order to attract developers who don't want to spend the time/money adapting their apps for WP. It sucks as WP8.1 works smooth as butter, with the exception of the awful music app.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
You're in for a real treat when you upgrade to a newer iPhone. You think you like it now... :)

I kinda disagree with you about the Nokia/Microsoft thing. I used a 920 for 2 years and loved the OS, but the phone got really hot and had terrible battery life. You could fry an egg on it while using the GPS. Every single WP Nokia released was missing some feature, gimped on RAM or had a hardware defective design in some way or another. With the release of the 640 and 640XL, I think Microsoft is going to get the balance right from here on out. As for the OS, they're being forced to make apps look/function more like Android/iOS in order to attract developers who don't want to spend the time/money adapting their apps for WP. It sucks as WP8.1 works smooth as butter, with the exception of the awful music app.

Hmmm, I've never had an issue with my 520, 820, or 928 overheating... That's really weird. But I agree on the music app. If you ever want some entertainment, go through my old posts on Windows Central. 75% is just me wailing on Microsoft for that embarrassing music app and how it actually pushed me off Windows Phone once before for Android. How can the biggest tech company in America not get a simple music player right? It's just pathetic.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, I've never had an issue with my 520, 820, or 928 overheating... That's really weird. But I agree on the music app. If you ever want some entertainment, go through my old posts on Windows Central. 75% is just me wailing on Microsoft for that embarrassing music app and how it actually pushed me off Windows Phone once before for Android. How can the biggest tech company in America not get a simple music player right? It's just pathetic.

I keep hearing how good Zune's desktop app was. They should've built on that. Even Windows Media Player has rotted since Vista.

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I keep hearing how good Zune's desktop app was. They should've built on that. Even Windows Media Player has rotted since Vista.

The Zune desktop app was and is terrible. The Zune phone app was fantastic, though, as well were the original Zune devices. I had the Zune 30, the Zune 2, and the small Zune. My mother uses the Zune HD (and now an HTC 8X).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen