Sort of new here

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! While I have technically been a member here for a while, I haven't really been active and I don't think I ever did an introduction so here it is! I have never owned an iPhone or iPad and to be honest, I never thought that I might. iOS bored the heck out of me until iOS 7 came along. While some people don't like it and think it's too flashy, colorful, or whatever, I think it is just what Apple needed to spice up iOS. It worked for me! I don't find it boring anymore and the multitasking (which was my main gripe) is now MUCH better.

My list of phones started with a BlackBerry Tour 9630 back in 2010. For my upgrade in late 2011 I decided to get the "super phone" Droid Razr and in all honesty, I didn't like it. That lasted about 6 months and by mid 2012 I was on a BlackBerry Bold 9930. I was excited for BB10 but before I planned on buying a Z10, I wanted to try the full touch BlackBerry Torch 9850 so I traded the Bold for the Torch in early 2013. On launch day in March, I bought the Z10 off contract and used that until about 2 months ago when I traded that for a Nokia Lumia 928. My upgrade has been due since August and I wanted to try a Windows Phone out to see if it would be the phone that I would upgrade to. I really do like it.

Now I am eager to use my upgrade. BlackBerry has really disappointed me with the lack of execution with just about everything to do with BB10. No apps, no marketing, and the Z30 I find to be very unimpressive. I honestly want to give the iPhone 5s a fair shot due to iOS 7 and it appears to be the front runner (only ahead of the yet to be released Nokia Lumia 929).

I just wanted to give you my phone "history" just to show a little bit of who I am. A little bit more about me: I am a very avid golfer and will definitely get antsy this winter when I can't golf. I am also a fanatic of baseball and football. My teams are the Red Sox and Eagles. I am also a self proclaimed tech enthusiast.

Back to phones, I am not partial to any particular manufacturer and if I am not happy with what I have, I am not afraid to change it ;). While I did really enjoy BB10, there are other factors that turned me away from BlackBerry. When I upgrade, a company needs to win me over with their phone and Apple seems to have done that with the iPhone 5s. Hopefully the community can help me out the my decision.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

I think you would like the iPhone 5s. You definitely won't have any shortage of apps. :) Battery life on older iPhones was problematic, but that's been fixed a long time now. You could even use BBM on your iPhone if you want.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

I think you would like the iPhone 5s. You definitely won't have any shortage of apps. :) Battery life on older iPhones was problematic, but that's been fixed a long time now. You could even use BBM on your iPhone if you want.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Yes, BBM on iPhone is definitely a plus. Since there hasn't been any official announcement or plans to bring it to Windows Phone, the 5s right now has the edge over the 929. I was just reading some posts here about battery life and everyone seems to be quite pleased.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore forums. We're glad you're here and decided to introduce yourself. I was a longtime BlackBerry user and I haven't looked back. Let us know if we can help you. Enjoy your stay here!!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey ajst222

Welcome to iMore. Keep on posting thoughts and question a lot of folks here to help out with all things "i".

#Naked Tuesday

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore as a member, Your first start in getting into iMore and Apple help. Since you have not gotten an Apple iPhone yet and you have heard a number of varying thoughts, There is only one person that can decide on what to get and you know who that is. When you get the phone let us know and we can start steering you in the right direction to start here. Good luck and a a nice intro.:)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!

I definitely think the 5S will make you happy. Like you, I use to change phones all the time looking for a better experience. When I finally moved to iOS summer of 2012, I still didn't buy the whole iPhone experience but for some reason I was compelled to stay. Then iOS 7 was released and I fell in love. Its definitely the refresh iOS needed. Even though I'm sure I'll jailbreak when its released, I'm in no rush. iOS 7 is great and my 5S just works the way it was intended.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!!

I definitely think the 5S will make you happy. Like you, I use to change phones all the time looking for a better experience. When I finally moved to iOS summer of 2012, I still didn't buy the whole iPhone experience but for some reason I was compelled to stay. Then iOS 7 was released and I fell in love. Its definitely the refresh iOS needed. Even though I'm sure I'll jailbreak when its released, I'm in no rush. iOS 7 is great and my 5S just works the way it was intended.

I wonder if iOS 7 will turn out to be the one OS that I will be content with. Granted I have had/used iOS devices before but not iOS 7. As I said before, it bored me until 7.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I too was a blackberry nut and was disappointed in their bb10 product. I was excited about it until it was released. Then I was let down.

Welcome to iMore and I hope to see you posting here in the forums soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using iMore Forums mobile app

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! While I have technically been a member here for a while, I haven't really been active and I don't think I ever did an introduction so here it is! I have never owned an iPhone or iPad and to be honest, I never thought that I might. iOS bored the heck out of me until iOS 7 came along. While some people don't like it and think it's too flashy, colorful, or whatever, I think it is just what Apple needed to spice up iOS. It worked for me! I don't find it boring anymore and the multitasking (which was my main gripe) is now MUCH better.

My list of phones started with a BlackBerry Tour 9630 back in 2010. For my upgrade in late 2011 I decided to get the "super phone" Droid Razr and in all honesty, I didn't like it. That lasted about 6 months and by mid 2012 I was on a BlackBerry Bold 9930. I was excited for BB10 but before I planned on buying a Z10, I wanted to try the full touch BlackBerry Torch 9850 so I traded the Bold for the Torch in early 2013. On launch day in March, I bought the Z10 off contract and used that until about 2 months ago when I traded that for a Nokia Lumia 928. My upgrade has been due since August and I wanted to try a Windows Phone out to see if it would be the phone that I would upgrade to. I really do like it.

Now I am eager to use my upgrade. BlackBerry has really disappointed me with the lack of execution with just about everything to do with BB10. No apps, no marketing, and the Z30 I find to be very unimpressive. I honestly want to give the iPhone 5s a fair shot due to iOS 7 and it appears to be the front runner (only ahead of the yet to be released Nokia Lumia 929).

I just wanted to give you my phone "history" just to show a little bit of who I am. A little bit more about me: I am a very avid golfer and will definitely get antsy this winter when I can't golf. I am also a fanatic of baseball and football. My teams are the Red Sox and Eagles. I am also a self proclaimed tech enthusiast.

Back to phones, I am not partial to any particular manufacturer and if I am not happy with what I have, I am not afraid to change it ;). While I did really enjoy BB10, there are other factors that turned me away from BlackBerry. When I upgrade, a company needs to win me over with their phone and Apple seems to have done that with the iPhone 5s. Hopefully the community can help me out the my decision.

Ajst222, Welcome to iMore. I too had several BlackBerrys the last being a 9930. I wanted nothing to do with an iPhone. Last Christmas I went to an Apple Store to purchase iPads for gifts and was shocked at how impressed I was with the entire line of Apple products not to mention the employees. Simply amazing! If you have an opportunity to visit an Apple Store please go. It will be worth the trip.
You will have many choices of apps for golfers you will be quite impressed with. There are many NFL and MLB apps too.
As for function, I was tired of a frozen locked up phone, endless battery pulls, images that just seemed to poof into the great abyss all of course at the most inopportune times. I have had none of these issues with my iPhone5 or iPad mini.
I understand that these decisions are difficult but am confident you will not regret a move to the Apple family.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore ... The 5s is a fantastic device, after coming from phones with larger screens you may find the 5s to be on the small time, however I suggest give it a little time and it will indeed grow on you. Fast, Stable and very pocketable are what come to mind, for me I love having the ability to send texts with one hand as I have found that I actually do this much more than I originally thought (you realize it when you pick up a phone with a larger screen) ... Again welcome to the forums...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73