Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

Default Finally Made the Switch to iOS!

After using a BlackBerry for the past 5 years I finally gave in and upgraded to an iPhone 4s. Since every other member of my family, three total, has an iPhone I had plenty of chances to play around and ask questions about things I thought I'd miss about my BB. Besides the notification light, I was surprised that I really don't miss a thing. The virtual keyboard is surprisingly accurate, and with Siri, being able to use speech to txt is awesome and a lot quicker than typing. I have said for years that I would never own another "i" device because of Apple's whole proprietary system. Well, I'm here and I can't see myself going back. I had tried a few Android phones, S2 and the S3, but they were just to big and glitchy. I'm happy to say that I love my 4s....best phone I've ever had in my hand.

Global Posts
    11,884 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Finally Made the Switch to iOS!

Welcome. You'll get over that 'no blinky light' thing... give it time.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,248 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by bgriff25 View Post
    After using a BlackBerry for the past 5 years I finally gave in and upgraded to an iPhone 4s. Since every other member of my family, three total, has an iPhone I had plenty of chances to play around and ask questions about things I thought I'd miss about my BB. Besides the notification light, I was surprised that I really don't miss a thing. The virtual keyboard is surprisingly accurate, and with Siri, being able to use speech to txt is awesome and a lot quicker than typing. I have said for years that I would never own another "i" device because of Apple's whole proprietary system. Well, I'm here and I can't see myself going back. I had tried a few Android phones, S2 and the S3, but they were just to big and glitchy. I'm happy to say that I love my 4s....best phone I've ever had in my hand.
    Welcome to iMore! U can make it so your flash goes off when u have a call or text message. That is the closest you're going to get to a notification light
    revtech likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Hi bgriff. We are happy that you decided to join this nice community here at iMore. Also, congrats and good luck with your new iPhone 4S. I bought the 4S for my son last month and he loves it. Please let us know if you need help with anything.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    revtech likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Welcome to iMore, bgriff! There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here (many of whom came from the BlackBerry world), and we're glad that you joined us.

Have a look around and jump in to the conversation.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    revtech likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,146 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

As an Ambassador here at iMore it is my pleasure to welcome you as a new member. You will find many staff and members willing to assist you in anything you need. Please feel free to look around and familiarize yourself with all of the many forum topics we have here and don't forget to check out the Blog side for the latest info on everything iOS.
    Please take a few minutes to read the Community Rules & Guidelines and once again thank you for joining iMore!
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

revtech likes this.

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Welcome! Glad to have ya here!
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

revtech likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,253 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome to the iMore Community bgriff I'm sure you will find iMore a friendly and informative place to be ! I also came from a 5 year BB world and haven't looked back
    Fausty82 and Jaguarr40 like this.
    END
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

Hi and welcome bgriff!!

Ah the notification light (shhh this is a touchy subject lol, I miss it too)
    As was stated you can at least set it so the flash will go off when someone calls or sends you a message-
    Settings/Accessibility/LED Flash for alerts set to on.

I Never Use Signatures.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    iOS Version

After coming to iOS as a former BB user last summer, I really thought I was going to miss the LED indicator but I never have. In fact, I found it oddly liberating to not be constantly looking at my phone (except to check out the coolness of my iPhone 5)!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Welcome !!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    4,004 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

Welcome to iMore!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Good to hear. BlackBerry has an uphill struggle, and you were smart to bail before the ship goes under. I think they're the next Palm. And Apple should fear the same in its future, and keep driving forward and not lose sight of their core values.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Apple is fine....
    John Yester

revtech likes this.

Global Posts
    11,884 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Apple is fine....
    They've got Rim/BB to learn from... don't do what they did...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    impaler likes this.

Global Posts
    15,721 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

*Points finger to others*

"See what they did"?

"Don't do that"

lol
    John Yester

pr1nce likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,522 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You will be surprised to find that it really isn't as proprietary as everyone makes it out to be. Welcome.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    Good to hear. BlackBerry has an uphill struggle, and you were smart to bail before the ship goes under. I think they're the next Palm. And Apple should fear the same in its future, and keep driving forward and not lose sight of their core values.
    I disagree. I don't think Apple has anything to be worried about, especially with their sale numbers being what they are. Sales will only continue to climb once the new iPhones and iPads are released this Fall.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    blackberry and nokia were market leaders at that time. And when you are at the top , you are bound to go down. Thats what happened. whereas apple is not a market leader neither in smartphones nor in pc market. i feel samsung should be scared because if any company comes out with phones cheaper than samsung's their market share will start decreasing.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Did you get a Z10 and try that or a Q10?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Apple is fine....
    I agree. They just need to keep up the good stuff, so they don't wind up like the next Palm. BalckBerry and Palm were just fine once, too.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB

Global Posts
    15,639 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome to iMore bgriff!! My story is much like yours. I had been a loyal Blackberry user since '06. I got my iPhone 4S last year because all of my kids had them and I had played around with theirs so I decided to give it a try. I thought I would miss my BB. I was wrong I love the 4S. Enjoy your stay.
    bgriff25 and revtech like this.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Well, it's been a week with my 4s and everything is great. I've gotten past the whole notification led, and I love how you can have notifications show in the lock screen and swipe to them from there. I thought I'd miss my keyboard shortcuts and being able to add notes and calendar entries on the fly, but Siri handles that perfectly.
    pr1nce likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

Welcome! My first smartphone was a Blackberry I loved those things. I had a few of them, went Android for the longest then finally ventured over to the iPhone.The 4s was my first and man I loved that thing! I just upgraded to a 5 about a week ago and I'm still loving it. This is the longest I've stayed with the same "phone" persay. I even converted my fiance. Trust me, when we met they were using an old school hortizontal sliding Nokia. Ah negative Ghostwriter.. Try this HTC for a little bit... oh you like? Have a Samsung Galaxy Note...ooh? ahh? Great now try the iPhone. DON'T FIGHT IT! ....
    Now she loves her 4S and now wants an iPad with Retina display and a Macbook Pro... I've created a monster and I don't even own a Macbook! Ok ok so I have an iPad mini but it's doesn't have Retina display! And I gave her my Asus Transformer!
    Technology Junkie!
    Current phone: iPhone 5s 64gb VZW
    Current device: iPad mini 16gb black WiFi, 2013 13' Macbook Air
    Future phone/device: Who knows? I really like technology.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saichick04 View Post
    DON'T FIGHT IT! .... Now she loves her 4S and now wants an iPad with Retina display and a Macbook Pro... I've created a monster and I don't even own a Macbook!
    Resistance is futile . . the common feeling around here is that apple products are like gateway drugs; buy one and soon you'll want them all. For apple that's the beauty and genius of their "system".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast