Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By juwaack68
  • 1 Post By zerog46
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Default Former BES Admin turned iPhone user

Hello all! I've been a member here since 2007 but mostly just for poking around and reading the awesome blogs. For the last 9 years I have been the BES admin here, and provided the majority of support for our BlackBerry deployment.

Unfortunately, RIM has fallen behind the times, and our company has decided to switch to all iPhones for corporate supported devices....so our BB deployment has dropped from over 1000 devices globally to around 425 in the last year....and we plan to have everyone switched over to iPhones (or other personal devices using our stipend program) by the end of March this year. Been a huge change. On a side note, I do hope the upcoming BB10 devices do well for RIM, I really do. BB was a great device once.....

I carried a BB for all of those 9 years, either thru work or personally, and for the last couple of years I also had an iPhone from work (since we started with a small group of iPhone users and I had to support them).

This past weekend, we bit the bullet and my family made the switch to all iPhone 5's. Both my daughter and I had BB Bold 9930's, my husband had an EVO Shift, and my son had an iPhone 4S. We also switched from Sprint to Verizon and HOLY COW we have LTE in our area. SOOOOOO fast (but now sooooo easy to blow past our data pool!). By the way, WalMart is having a sale on iPhone 5's thru this Friday for upgrade-eliglble lines or new activations....we got our iPhone 5's for $127 each (16GB).

Anywho.....that's me, fully switched over to iOS, and loving it. Oh, we also have 2 iPad Mini's (me and daughter), a full size iPad (hubby), and a few iPod Touch's floating around the house. No Macs.....yet.

Hope to be around here more and contributing a bit more as well.
    Fausty82 and mikesa_tx like this.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Former BES Admin turned iPhone user

Welcome... check out the blog side of iMore... there's lots of tutorials, how-tos, etc. that you might find worth sharing with your users and make your support easier.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome to the dark side Julie!!!!
    audit

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sounds like a lot of work, but you're handling it wonderfully. Welcome to iMore!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge

Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Hey!!

Welcome to iMore forums. Be sure first check the following links.

http://forums.imore.com/faq.php?faq=...faq_imorerules

http://forums.imore.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq

We do have a technical/Support side on the forums, but we also have a Off Topic Lounge area where you can discuss non Apple ideas, etc.

Please make you self at home and never hesitate to ask a question as our community is TOP notch, and will get you a answer right away.

In addition you will notice the search bar at the top of the page, this may help you find some additional help you maybe looking for.

http://forums.imore.com/search.php

Again welcome and glad to have you here!!!!
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

Default Former BES Admin turned iPhone user

Hey look who it is.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Hey, Jules:

Welcome to the forums... good to have you hanging out around here!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
    Hello all! I've been a member here since 2007 but mostly just for poking around and reading the awesome blogs. For the last 9 years I have been the BES admin here, and provided the majority of support for our BlackBerry deployment.

Unfortunately, RIM has fallen behind the times, and our company has decided to switch to all iPhones for corporate supported devices....so our BB deployment has dropped from over 1000 devices globally to around 425 in the last year....and we plan to have everyone switched over to iPhones (or other personal devices using our stipend program) by the end of March this year. Been a huge change. On a side note, I do hope the upcoming BB10 devices do well for RIM, I really do. BB was a great device once.....

I carried a BB for all of those 9 years, either thru work or personally, and for the last couple of years I also had an iPhone from work (since we started with a small group of iPhone users and I had to support them).

This past weekend, we bit the bullet and my family made the switch to all iPhone 5's. Both my daughter and I had BB Bold 9930's, my husband had an EVO Shift, and my son had an iPhone 4S. We also switched from Sprint to Verizon and HOLY COW we have LTE in our area. SOOOOOO fast (but now sooooo easy to blow past our data pool!). By the way, WalMart is having a sale on iPhone 5's thru this Friday for upgrade-eliglble lines or new activations....we got our iPhone 5's for $127 each (16GB).

Anywho.....that's me, fully switched over to iOS, and loving it. Oh, we also have 2 iPad Mini's (me and daughter), a full size iPad (hubby), and a few iPod Touch's floating around the house. No Macs.....yet.

Hope to be around here more and contributing a bit more as well.
    We are most happy to meet you and glad to have you as part of our family.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Julie, we go wayyyyy back

Welcome!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    BB user.

I would be intereseted in hearing about your experiences controlling 1000 iPhones from your network. How is the security and are you able to lock them down to limit personal use in the same way that you could BB's. Aside from being a better user experience for media, how do the employees like the iPhones for email use? And did you have more current models of BB's or were most people still using 3 and 4 year old BB's like most companys these days which really make people hate them even more.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Welcome! Glad to see your here at imore. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Thanks for the warm welcomes - and several from old friends, too! I just came back to check on this thread since I didn't get email notifications that anyone replied..... must have something set up wrong in my profile.....

Global Posts
    15,722 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Check thread tools at the top of the forum thread. and choose subscribe.... See what setting it is at.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com