Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts

Default Coming from Windows Phone

Hi everyone. I've been an active member of WPCentral since 2010 using a Samsung Focus on WP7. Windows Phone 8 got some stuff right but other stuff it was more of the "it's coming soon" routine. Additionally, Google isn't playing nice with WP users. Based on the aforementioned, I decided to put WP on hiatus and try iOS so I got an iPhone 5 last night.

Right now I'm still digesting the whole Apple ID stuff, wondering if one account or more is better (have other iOS devices at home). Also trying to figure the easiest way to carry my Windows Phone contacts to iCloud. I want to keep it simple so my goal is to have my Calendar and Contacts on iCloud without relying on my Yahoo Mail or Hotmail info. That could mean I have to type the stuff manually but hopefully I can import it in some way.
    Last edited by aubreyq; 01-05-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Do you have outlook? And a way to get your contacts in there. This is one of the easiest ways to transfer everything.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Coming from Windows Phone

There are a couple of really good threads that will walk you through moving your stuff to iCloud - really easy if they're currently in Google.

Welcome to iMore!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
    Do you have outlook? And a way to get your contacts in there. This is one of the easiest ways to transfer everything.
    Thanks, Zerog. I do have Outlook. I can try importing the .csv from Windows Live into Outlook and then export them as a .vcf so iCloud can import them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    There are a couple of really good threads that will walk you through moving your stuff to iCloud - really easy if they're currently in Google.

Welcome to iMore!
    Thanks, Alli. They aren't in Google but I can put them there temporarily for the purposes of getting them to iCloud. I'll be searching the forums a lot more.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been an active member of WPCentral since 2010 using a Samsung Focus on WP7. Windows Phone 8 got some stuff right but other stuff it was more of the "it's coming soon" routine. Additionally, Google isn't playing nice with WP users. Based on the aforementioned, I decided to put WP on hiatus and try iOS so I got an iPhone 5 last night.

Right now I'm still digesting the whole Apple ID stuff, wondering if one account or more is better (have other iOS devices at home). Also trying to figure the easiest way to carry my Windows Phone contacts to iCloud. I want to keep it simple so my goal is to have my Calendar and Contacts on iCloud without relying on my Yahoo Mail or Hotmail info. That could mean I have to type the stuff manually but hopefully I can import it in some way.
    Welcome to the iMore forums and Blog site. Wer are all happy you made the jump to the better phone and site... Enjoy yourself and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to call on us.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts

Thanks for the welcome, Jaguar!