Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts

Default Latest podcast: iPad pro vs MacBook

Hi guys

Have to weigh in here on the iPad pro v MacBook argument! I know there isn't a lot of love for the MacBook, but I have had mine for about a year now and absolutely love it. For me, it's perfect; crazy battery life, small, light, fantastic screen and great sound.

I do a lot of writing, so need the MS Office suite, and do a bit of photo processing using Pixelmator and then the usual video and music playing, internet surfing, work stuff with excel and powerpoint, and so on. I had previously tried the tablet route with a bluetooth keyboard and it was a disaster. Because the iPad has no access to the file system I lost a load of writing into the ether, and more than once. I vowed never to trust such a closed system for my work again. Having access to the file system is so useful, and such pain when you don't have it. Need to connect a HDD and drag and drop some big files? The USB-C absolutely blazes this, and it's really quick and simple. Multiple tiled windows are nice and easy, and of course the full versions of software apps, not frustratingly cut-down versions.

Now, I'm not saying the iPad pro has no value - it's a lovely bit of kit, and I'm sure it has many uses. I just wanted to mention these points, because for many people they are important. I have also never had a problem with the 'slow' processor in the MacBook, it's never lagged and glitched for me (although of course I am not trying to edit 4k video streams in it). I thought about what I was going to use it for and realised that the baby MacBook was powerful enough for me.

If you need a small laptop because you travel a lot, need full versions of software and all the other things that MacOS gives you (there are loads of other things) then the MacBook is a great choice. Now, of course, if Apple put MacOS on an iPad...

Cheers!

Robsa
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Latest podcast: iPad pro vs MacBook

This was helpful. I think it's a great idea if Apple put macOS on iPads