Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    iPhone Nanite

6 Posts

Default Necessity is the mother of invention.

I'm a locksmith by day and a software developer in my free time. Sounds like an odd mix right? Well, let me explain.
    Out of necessity, I started using FileMaker Pro to track my customer info and my jobs. I know, this is about the iPhone, I'm getting to that.
    Recently, I learned of a way to turn my FileMaker database into an iPhone app. Thanks to the folks at FMWebschool.com, (not being paid to mention their name) I now sell the very app, I made to solve my own problem, on iTunes. It's called iDispatcher.
    This isn't a sales pitch. Even if I wasn't selling the app, I would still be writing this because of all the great features that the iPhone provides. Being able to access maps, take pictures and send / receive email all from one device, is awesome. The fact that it's so easy to use is even better.
    I use iDispatcher to track all my jobs. It's a great app for any kind of service based business. It tracks open jobs, displays all the who, what, where, when and whys of a job. It allows me to call the customer from the app, Get maps to the job (ties into the Google Maps on the iPhone and uses MapQuest from within the app)
    and store photos of my work. I can capture signatures on the work order and even email the customer a copy. I can also update the office as to the status of my jobs and get any new jobs the office has entered, by syncing via WiFi or 3g.
    Again, this isn't a sales pitch, having a platform as powerful as the iPhone, makes all this possible. I am still amazed at the power of the iPhone and all the information that is now at my fingertips.

Mark Fleming
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts

Here I sit at my desk all day,
    Life as a lawyer means no time to play.
    But thanks to my iPhone I stay connected,
    Entertained, amused, and not so dejected.
    For music I listen to Pandora and Slacker,
    Google Reader keeps me up on Gizmodo and LifeHacker.
    The Weather Channel tells me if it's gonna be sunny,
    Mint helps me keep track of my money.
    Mail lets me stay connected near and far,
    GPS Drive helps me get around in my car.
    Dropbox gives me access to all my files,
    With Words Free I can take a break with letter tiles.
    The iPhone rocks, there is no doubt!
    One satisfied user, over and out.
    Rjgjr#IM likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts

1. I'm a Certified Flight Instructor for a large flight school and aircraft rental company in Chicago.

2. The moment I wake up, my day starts with a quick check of my work email. My students use email and text messaging to get in touch with me, so oftentimes I'll have several emails requesting lesson appointments, making changes to the schedule, etc.

Once those are disposed of, it's time for a quick check of the weather to see what's in store for me once I get to the airport. I use the free app Aero Weather for that. It saves a list of all the airports I fly to most often, and gives me the current conditions (what pilots call the METAR report) and the forecast for the rest of the day (what pilots call the Terminal Area Forecast).

I usually also do a quick check of Twitter before I leave home, as I am also the person who updates our comapny's Twitter feed. If I'm feeling particularly creative, or if something is going on out at the airport that day, I'll post a quick tweet to let everyone know about it (or possibly just retweet some piece of aviation news from the several blogs I monitor).

Once I'm at work, truth be told the default calendar app is by far my most used app. I sync it with Google to manage both my personal life and my student appointments at work. Sadly, our company doesn't have an online calendar system, so my first task once I get to work is to update my Google calendar with any appointments or flights that have been added to my work schedule.

By the time I'm out flying and working with students for the day, my use of the iPhone depends on what I'm actually doing. If I'm going on multiple flights, I'll use ForeFlight File to transmit my flight plans into the FAA Air Traffic Control computer system. I'll also log onto the FAA's weather briefing service to get updates on the latest notices and information that I need before I fly. If the weather starts to become a factor, I use Radar Scope to get a look at the nearest high-resolution NEXRAD radar, which gives us the best look at what the weather is doing.

Of course, it's not all work and no play. Occasionally, I spend the majority of my day conducting training in our flight simulator, which basically means I stare at a computer screen while a student practices flying in a large box that shakes and moves to simulate flying an actual plane. As exciting as that sounds, it gets a bit boring, so I've been known to use my iPhone to check out the latest Youtube vids, play the addicitng game Flight Control, or even play a whole game of Monopoly.

3. By far the most helpful feature of the iPhone that I've learned to use is the Exchange sync with Google. I rely so heavily on my calendar that having it instantly updated everywhere I go is a necessity.

4. Aeroweather, Radar Scope, ForeFlight File, Twitter, Flight Control (gotta have a little fun, right?)
    iPhone Newbie

23 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

I'm a student, so it's not technically a job, but it might as well be.

My day starts waking up to two Alarms, 4 minutes apart. The first one jogs me out of sleep a bit, then the second one reminds me that I need to get up. Then I grab the phone from the bedside table and check Twitterriffic and Facebook to update me on what has went on since I fell asleep. Then I'll reply to any Texts or Emails that I got during the night. Once I leave the house I plug in my headphones and play some music or podcasts with the iPod app. During school I don't touch it too much, except for a few texts or emails or when I need to look something up. When I do I use the Dictionary app, or Safari. After I come home I'll take a break and play a few apps. Usually Tetris, Scrabble or some similar game. Throughout the day I'll use it as a Phone to organize something if it's taking too long over texts. There becomes a point where texting is too much and calling is much quicker. Whenever I'm traveling I'm using the Camera and Photos apps to capture what's happening and show off what's happened to friends and family. Tethering is great, too. I no longer have to search for internet, I just plug my iPhone into my MacBook and away I go. I swear I'd be lost without my iPhone, and my friends agree too.

Top Apps would be: Twitterriffic, Facebook, Messages, Safari, Phone.
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Default You asked for it...

I am working as a Key Account Manager for a supplier of the Retail industry, based in the Netherlands but an being an Austrian by origin.

My iPhone is running on the 4.0 beta as I am geek enough to have a developer subscription only to get at the beta's before everybody else, trying to develop my own app being a secondary priority. So far it feels great and even snappier than 3.1.3 did. So you guys can really look forward to that.

I wake up to the alarm clock of my iPhone, and while doing the morning toilet I read the news on the apps from nu.nl, NewYork Times and Net News Wire. I also check out the Facebook and Twitter entries of my friends and family to see what they're up to using the corresponding apps. It makes my life a good deal more comfortable that I can stay in touch with them even though they are so far away.

Then I usually check out the traffic jams to Rotterdam (where I work) using the Dutch touring club (ANWB) app. If it is too busy, I use the Jaadu RDP app to log into the company's system and set an information for my colleagues so they know that I will be at the office later.

The agenda is of course of great importance to me to get my business (and private) appointments planned and even more important to remind me of them in time. For my Todo's I use 2Do from Guided Ways Technologies which syncs with Toodledo and let me tell you, this list is really long and I have the impression it's only getting longer by the day, no matter how hard I work. But I believe many of you have been there, done that and got the Tee too...

For meeting notes, or inspirations that I encounter I use Evernote which I think is really one of the greatest programs I used to date. Other important business tools for me is obviously QuickOffice. I use the iPhone as a wireless drive, as well as to have all my price lists, calculation and logistical information spreadsheets on it, as well as some presentations and product info sheets.

e-mail is my main means of communication and I get around a 80-100 on an average day, maybe 50 on a slow one. My iPhone allows me to stay on top of them all and it has made me lot more efficient because I can forward information or give a short reply while I'm on the road, instead of having to wait until I get back to the office.

I use the Deliveries app to track sample shipments and to send my customers a notification that their package is underway. The finarXFax app I use to communicate with the few customers who haven't yet made it to the digital age.

The keynote remote is being used for my presentations and if I go out store checking (aka "spying") I use a self made Bento database to enter all information quickly, while Codecheck allows me to scan barcodes of products where I don't know the manufacturer. If it is serious competition or a really interesting product idea I snap a photo (hoping security of the store doesn't see it) and print it out back at the office using Print from Eurosmartz. SplashID keeps my passwords safe and synced to my Mac at home.

We import a lot of stuff from China and also export to i.e. Scandinavia, so there is a whole lot of conversions to be done, for which I use Equivalence. The built-in calculator is yet another valuable tool for me to do my calculations.

Further I use the built in Maps app to do estimates of travelling times when I'm planning business trips or to find a place to get something to eat or drink in case I am caught in between meetings. I also use it to call up a cab if I'm abroad. For such travels other indispensable tools for me are Swoodoo Flight search to book my flight, the WorldMate Gold Edition to track it and check into a hotel, the Hertz Rental car app so the car is waiting for me when I arrive and last but not least the Navigon satnav app so I don't have to pay the extra fee from Hertz.

Several language apps (Russian, Norwegian, Spanish, Italian) make sure I can make a good first impression because I can start off my pitch by greeting my hosts in their native language. This is almost always a great hit with my prospects and a great ice breaker.

That pretty much covers my business use of the iPhone during a regular day.

Asking me to pick just five as my favorite ones: Evernote, QuickOffice, 2Do, WorldMate, Jaadu

iPhone, yes, there's an app for that....
    Last edited by tyroleanarcher; 05-20-2010 at 04:41 AM.
    iMore Beginner

64 Posts

Default My day is rather simple

JOB: Microsoft Employee

1) I slide to unlock
    2) Turn phone and wifi on
    3) Check mail and all notifiactions
    4) Check for any alerts from work
    5) Browse twitter if im feeling good
    6) Sync it up with new podcast and if I dont have time to sync I download them at work over the wifi

I mostly use mail for work.
    I know boring but im not wiriting a novel like some other have.

Just trying to keep it real
    iPhone Intermediate

123 Posts
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

We want some real life stories, some real world experience. We want to know what it's like to use the iPhone in your line of work (and yes, being a student or caregiver or stay-at-home parent or even... politician, counts as work!)

1. Tell us what your job is.
    2. Give us a paragraph or two describing how you use your iPhone during your workday. Tell us the *story*.
    3. Share any tips or tricks you might have come across. What about the iPhone makes your job easier?
    4. List the top 5, must have apps you use to get that job done.

Current job is in a Social Worker capacity for a non-profit agency in Philly. I use my iPhone for everything that concerns me or my clients. Calendar for all appointments (backed-up and sync with Google through the Microsoft Exchange server). All client numbers are also stored in contacts, however the main function that I use for my clients is finding resources while I'm conducting home visits. I use the Google Mobile App for that. It hasn't failed me yet! No tricks as I'm just a regular person..no IT person or anything of the sort, but the iPhone has just been the best phone I've ever had to do anything work related and/or personal.

Top 5 apps I used regarding to clients: Google Mobile, Safari, Notes, Voice Memos, & Calendar. Basically the normal apps that already comes with the phone plus the Google one. I don't really need anything more although I have tons of apps.
    iMore Elite

2,044 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts

You all use your phones for work? Pfffft. lol.

SMH @ you all!
    iPhone Intermediate

105 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

My job is more of a headache than a job. I make a measly paycheck for dealing with what everyone else lacks the common sense to do. I am a police officer in a small town. I am also a father, a husband, and a web designer to name a few. When i'm wearing the badge instead of the hat, I utilize my iphone all day long. Why? Because of my co-workers on AT&T that never cease calling me. I also utilize Google Maps to help travelers find their way. Because i'm in an area that does not have 3G (edge, really AT&T, really?) I tend to use my iPod interface instead of something more dynamic like Pandora. I tend to listen to podcasts while at work to pass the time while I hunt and search for that sorry soul with whom I yearn to ruin their day. When I leave work, I'm calling my wife on my iPhone and listening to my 10 month old talk and babble which puts a smile on my face and makes me glad to be done for the day. My iPhone is my alarm clock, my music center, my multimedia portal, my on-the-go-never-fail-me-internet-hooker-uper, my own personal assistant, my calendar, my means of communication with the world. When AT&T lets me down on service, there is usually a hotspot near by for catching up with the news via FB or CNN, or I can always play We Rule, or a game of Words with Leanna Lofte (though she tends to win, so we dont play often).

I am also a student and so I utilize MyWi on my iPhone ::cough: Spirit :cough:: so that I can connect to my school via my MacBook Pro as we all know AT&T does not enable tethering. I carry my iPhone in the "pure" fashion with no case and no screen cover anymore. I listen to music when I have time, and generally kill the battery on my iPhone twice to thrice each day. I would utilize a Morphie however I am too in love with my iPhone 3G stand.

The iPhone makes my job easier because it is everything I could want, all in the palm of my hand. Thanks to the iPhone I can haz all the interwebz with me.

My top five apps I could not live without include the native apps, however I use the new Twitter for iPhone for keeping up with the TiPb crew, Gowalla for keeping tabs on friends, MyWi for on-the-go tetherability, Photobucket for uploading images to websites, and We Rule for when I want to dabble in a game.

All in all, the iPhone is the ONLY device that will work for me.
    Rjgjr#IM likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts

I am in the Marketing field and I use my iPhone for "EVERYTHING" I do vendor shows where I used to need a wireless terminal for credit card transactions, now I use my iPhone. I also have to fax a lot of docs to my office when I'm at the shows, I have an app called Scanr, that sends VERY good faxes straight from my iPhone, it also sends me a confirmation email when it gets to my office. I also have apps that allows me to get invoices sent to me by email and I can sign them and send them straight back, which helps me get paid faster. I could not run my business without my iPhone.

I LOVE MY iPhone and all the time it saves me and how it makes me 10 times more productive, as a result of having my iPhone, I Make more money. Thanks, and I LOVE TIPB!!!
    Last edited by usmc; 05-24-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

9 Posts

I work as a nanny to an autistic four year old.

Every morning there is a ring on my iPhone to wake me up, yes the dreaded alarm announcing a new day. I head to the bathroom for my wake up shower complete with music from the iPhone for shower singing and invisible dancing.

When little Bob arrives I activate my email. It is my direct link to his mother. She doesn't get any cell signal at the high school where she teaches. With email I am able to send pictures of what our adventures hold, or warnings of a bad day. My favorite pictures to send are when his routine is broken a he tries something new. It may seem silly but to a family with a special needs child every small step of life is a victory and my iPhone camera is there to capture our small victories. I keep track of all the meetings regarding Little Bob, and his mothers schedule With the calendar on the phone.
    My day can become unpredictable at any time, but it can be filled with normalcy too. At 11:30 every morning we have dance time, and if there is a song we need but don't have, downloading right to the phone gives us a way to find the music that matches our mood. The iPhone also provides the mellow playlist for nap time.
    Bob is a brilliant boy can read and understand what he reads, and he loves to do algebra. However smart he still struggles with speech and pronounciation, routines and repetition. I am constantly on safari trying to find activities and milestones for his age group that will help him learn correct social behavior.
    Sometimes when things around him become too overwhelming headphones and tv episodes help him collect himself and take in his enviornment on his terms.
    Math master, word search, and super monkey ball have become essential to everyday life as there is nothing to settle him faster than his favorite apps.
    The most important app I would have to say is his voice4u. Sometimes there is no way to understand what he is trying to communicate apps like these make my days manageable when it seems impossible. The iPhone has become so important to our everyday little Bob's parents bought him his itouch for his own use.
    All day my phone brings a constant stream of calls and texts with questions to be answered by the appropriately named iphone "the answer man" and myself.
    When my day is coming to a close I use my iPhone to find take out numbers.
    I spent the remainder of my day hiding my phone from my husband to keep him from playing world poker. ( if he does get a hold of it, there is not a chance to get it back before bed time.) I then retire to bed to wait for the new alarm.
    iMore Newbie

45 Posts

1. Childrens Ministry Director
    2. I work for a church in Southern California. My department serves over 1200 children per week. My main responsibility is to create content and supervise all events. I use my iPhone to communicate to the staff, my team of 100 volunteers, and the families that attend the church. I also do a ton of note taking to assess and tweak programs.
    3. Tips? Find and use apps that either sync or communicate with your desktop or laptop. For example, I use Notes to email myself a draft of a letter while being mobile. Then, I email it to myself to finish the draft on the office PC (boo) or personal Mac (yay). Evernote has helped me efficiently organize note and projects.
    4. Top 5: Evernote, Mail (Using MS Exchange), Notes, Tweet Deck, & Facebook
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts

As a student, I get the most use from Mail, Notes, Calculator, Voice Memos and Calendar. I need not explain why Mail, Notes and Calculator are important, but I have used Voice Memos to record lectures in classes. Calendar has all of my test dates entered into it as soon as the instructor tells us, with alarms set reminding me to study. Being a Computer Networking major, I also get some use from the Speedtest app for our Wireless labs. Of course, Wikipedia is a handy app to have available on any occasion, and it has helped me out on more than one occasion.

Not sure if this counts, but my girlfriend used the Classics app to help in her writing-intensive English class because it has a copy of Odyssey on it.

Also not sure if it counts, but the Pizza Hut app has helped out on some lunch breaks : )
    iPhone Intermediate

215 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

I am a criminal prosecutor in a big city. Cases come to my courtroom directly from an arrest. Everyday is different-to paraphrase Forrest Gump and his mama, "My day is like a box of chocolates. I never know what I'm gonna get." So I use my iPhone to to get a bit of a heads up and a jump on the day. AP Mobile and several other news apps let me know what may have happened overnight and what I might expect in court. Safari searches will let me know what other information may be out there about the night before. A string of armed robberies of taxi cab drivers? Arson to a business? I can start thinking about potential arguments to present my case in the best possible way before I even have my first cup of joe. Speaking of joe, I use my Starbuck's apps to keep my card loaded or to find a different nearby store when the line at the one down the street is too damn long. Questions about specific charges? A state statute app takes my 1000+ page statute book and squishes it all into my iPhone!! Judge tries to trip me up with a point of law or throws a new case at me? Fire up said statute app or my Fastcase app and get the answer in seconds-no need to ask for a continuance, begin a vain search for a law clerk or even plead for "just one moment" when my iPhone is with me. For times when something new comes up during a hearing, I can SMS a partner to get me needed information or missing documents without ever leaving the courtroom. National news apps like The New York Times and Time Magazine keep me apprised of legal trends around the country and Supreme Court decisions that may affect my jurisdiction. Need a new word for an argument because I've worn out the usual suspects? My Dictionary app gives me over 20 different ways to say "dangerous". If a make a particularly good (or not so good) argument, I can document it in Notes so I can use it (or not) again. On the way home, the iPod function keeps with happy with my music, podcasts and books I don't want to lug around/haven't had time to read. At the end of the day when thoughts shift from criminals to the people in my house who will be clamoring to be fed, I can turn to any number of cooking apps to plan dinner and make a shopping list. If it's been a really long day, I'll just make whatever Martha Stewart's Everyday Food app pushed to my iPhone that afternoon. Alarms and calenders help me keep up with the comings and goings of the aforementioned people I will be feeding at the end of the day. Thank you iPhone for all you do
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Math Teacher

(1)hi, i am a math teacher, hope the apps will have following function.
    (2)edit/ Type equations (very important, esp it can output to other apps like pages/ keynotes).(most apps in teaching are all not favorable to math teacher…..). please give us a hope^^
    -easily draw coordinate, circle, triangle, ellipse, hyperbola, parabola….with different color.
    -Can replace blackboard, that means i can draw and write in iPad, students can see what I wrote through projector connected with my iPad. and of course, i can upload what i wrote in that lesson to cloud for students to download.
    - Give a bigger room for drawing/ handwriting.
    (4) pages, number, keynotes, things, iStudiez Pro,
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

I am a biology professor/researcher, and I use the iPhone all the time! Ranging from field work, to in the class, and in the lab, having an iPhone comes in handy in any number of ways. There really isn't a "typical day" because my routine may vary so much, but i use the iPhone in just about every facet of my job!

If I am in the field, I use the GPS capabilities both when driving to field locations (Navigon and Magellan GPS apps are great) as well as identifying the actual GPS coordinates of various field sites (and of course taking pictures of the field sites is always important as well!). Of course, having continual access to email while I am in the field for multiple days at a time means I can keep in touch with the activities going on in my lab in my absence. And I don't need to worry about bringing a notebook with me - I can record the information directly on the iPhone notebook app! I often find my best ideas for new research projects come to me when driving back and forth from the field - now, when I think of something, I just use the voice recorder to record a memo so that I don't forget it (since I am an absent minded professor, after all).

In the lab, using Convert when trying how to mix up solutions and convert units for measurements is helpful - it makes me seem much smarted to my students. And when I am feeding colony mosquitoes by sticking my arm in the cage (yes, I do that), I can try to tune out the discomfort by listening to some tunes from my phone. In addition, I can use the timer app to let me know when my feeding schedule is over (and then it is time for my students to take their turn, bwah-hah-hah-hah!).

And lastly, in the classroom, when I am giving a test, rather than sit looking bored while students are frantically trying to remember everything they know about disease transmission models, I can amuse myself with a nice game of Jewel Quest or Battleships (sound off, of course). If I decide to actually be productive while my students are taking a test, I can use the Papers app to read some new manuscripts that have come out so I can keep on top of the research in my field.

Having these handy applications available at the touch of a button (figuratively) means that I don't have to lug extra equipment. And when the day is done, I can settle down and play a game of cribbage against my wife with the peer to peer connect option, as I wind down thinking about what I need to do the next day!

iPhone Guru

1,604 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

Red face The Feds... This is my Life

1. I work for the Feds in the Newark, NJ/ NY Area and I am a US Customs and Border Protection Officer (thats right, we are the ones who pulled that NYC terrorist off the plane a few weeks ago).

2. I wake up to my iPhone playlist from my alarm app (it motivates me) and 1st thing i do is check emails, sms, and missed calls --if any. I check News7(NY news) and the Whitehouse app for any breaking news or any news for that matter. I check ESPN app for any games i missed. I then begin my daily morning post on FB. I open my starbucks app and create an order for my favorite daily Mocha ready to be picked up to start my day at work.

3. Now while im in my office at work, while browsing thru gov't emails, i also open my To-Do List app to check out what i have to get done for the day. This list is updated by me daily so im constantly using this app. Now depending on how my day is going... If im involved in a drug seizure which i get alot of those, i use the camera to take tons of pix of what narcotics we seized and if there was a suspect involved, i take the mugshot of them using my iPhone camera(i have pix to prove it ).Also, when i work in Nogales, Arizona on the Southwest Land Border for a Tour of Duty (Yes that place you hear about on the News), I use my VIN Hunter Pro app to scan any cars VIN before passing into Mexico to make sure they match because they could be stolen.

4. Now finally after a hard day at work, I open up NFS or Chop Chop Ninja games and relax myself before doing it all over again tomorrow

As you can see, i use my iPhone quite a bit while at work. I wouldnt be surprised if these become standard issued That would be great actually...

Most Used Apps for Work:
    1. Alarm Pro w/ playlist
    2. News 7 and Whitehouse App
    3. ESPN and Starbucks App (I need my daily dosage of sugah lol)
    4. To-Do List App
    5. iPhone 3G|s| Camera (its full of mugshots and Seizures)
    6. Video Games (Yes Really!)

...Take care everyone
    Last edited by Hack-My-I; 06-03-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: ADDED: Most Used Apps
    iPhone Nanite

3 Posts

Lightbulb The Legal iPhone

1.My job, then one that pays me when I'm not carting kids to all form of activities, is an attorney in Texas.
    2.I use my iphone from the time I wake up until I go to sleep at night. For the work day specifically I use my iphone in normal and not so normal ways every day. During the average workday I use the iphone to check email when away from my desk, review documents, and communicate via phone, email or text with the office and/or clients. I utilize the iphone for these purposes when in the conference room, a cowokers office, in the car, the courthouse, at depostitions and at lunch. It is my office in the palm of my hand. Recently, while in an airport, I used the phone for a four hour hearing (thanks to the Judge who allowed this); however, I do not believe I will attempt a hearng on my iphone at an AIRPORT TERMINAL in the near future. The phone worked fantastically but I had to keep it on mute for most of the time.
    3.My job is exponetially easier with the quick sync of my office and personal emails and the automatic sync of my office calendar. I love having the ability to view an email while speaking withsomeone, or even playing the frequent game of Words With Friends while listening to music.
    4. Top 5 apps - Words With Friends for the quick break in the stress of the day; Loose It which assists me in the Legal Fitness Competition; Facebook to let me know what all my friends (family, work associates, etc.) are doing in their real lives; Amazon Kindle to read and get away from a bit of reality; and the Chase app so I can make sure I can pay the bills. These all get me through the work day plus some. Okay back to work.
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Clowning with my iPhone

I'm resubmitting my story without the company name...

I am a clown in a travelling circus currently touring North America.

Before, during (in the dressing room), and after the show, I have my head buried in my iPhone 3GS. Reading blogs, checking the news, and especially checking a Twitter search for the name of my show. I like to get a feel for what the audience buzz is before the show, as it could help with my pre-show improvisation in the Big Top. At intermission, audience members fire up their phones and tweet about how the show is going thus far and what they think. I'm right there, in real time getting feedback. Same thing after the show. I'm also checking for discount ticket deals (before the company tells us) so I can blitz that info out, surreptitiously helping get butts in seats.

Using my iPhone to check the Twitterverse before the show has come in very handy, and it adds a surreal, hyper-modern, meta-theatrical element to my performance. And sometimes, a certain someone, may be singled out in a very unique way.

Every once in a while, more often than I'd like I run across a tweet like this:

Off to the lame circus with my family despite a particular dislike of clowns.
    Now right off the bat, he's just knocking the circus, eluding that he's probably just gonna have a bad time no matter what. But add to that, he mentions the clown thing. Anyone who knows me knows I don't take too kindly to clown haters. But I thought I'd let it go. Then, less than an hour later, he pushes further:

"Coulrophobia is abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns." Bugger off! If there's anything that's abnormal or exaggerated, it's a clown.
    Okay, so the guy is starting to have an annoyingly good time with his clown-bashing venom, and does so by popping onto Wikipedia for some zinger fodder. I'm trying to keep my cool. A follower of his pipes in, somewhat ignorantly:

Last I checked, there aren't really clowns at that circus...
    To which our first guy says:

My *** there are no clowns!. It's like the friggin' Blaire Witch Project with grease paint.
    And with that, I held my tongue no longer. During the show I wrote to him, knowing full well he'd read it at intermission:

"Blair Witch Project with grease paint" Great line! Hope we didn't totally ruin your night. See you in your nightmares!
    Intermission rolls around. This pops up:

RT "Hope we didn't totally ruin your night. See you in your nightmares!" From the clown. In the show. On stage!
    And then three minutes later:

Totally p0wn3d — or should that be c70wn3d by a clown from somewhere in the tent about 2 minutes into intermission.
    And then five minutes after that, directly to me:

Well played. Truly well played, my funny friend. How on earth did you even see my tweet? I'm not sure if I'm reassured or freaked.
    Then my fellow clown in the show chimed in to both of us:

Why don't you two just get a room? Geez.
    To which I respond to both of them:

Well I DO know where he's sitting. Hint: Look behind you!
    Quoth the guy:

And then even his wife got in on the action:

This is [his] wife and I SO want to tell you where we're sitting.
    Despite my encouragement, she didn't. At the end of the show, our guy gives his final thoughts:

I had a great time, guys, and should be able to sleep with the lights off in a few weeks.
    Mission accomplished? Have I won this guy over? By playing into his bullcrap fear or hatred of clowns, have I turned him around?

I'm mostly tickled by the idea of using Twitter on my iPhone as another performance layer. Meta-cyber-theatricality. Taking audience reactions, or or just their thoughts, from the web and using them in the performance. At one point in the show when I'm screaming with fear, I screamed this guy's Twitter handle, followed by "I'm...so...scared!!" ala Blair Witch Project.

The evil clowns just got evil-er.

That's just one example of keeping "real time" on the audience I'm about to "entertain" thanks to my iPhone.

The apps I'm using most at work are:
    1) TwitBird Pro
    2) Foursquare
    3) NetNewsWire
    4) iPod (listening to podcasts for an hour while putting on makeup)
    5) UkeChords (no clown is complete without his ukulele)

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by JimmySlo; 06-04-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

7 Posts

I work in an MS Exchange/Office environment. I use MS OneNote to manage all of my notes, todo's, etc. However, I can't take my laptop everywhere (wish I had an iPad). So, I found a great little app called MobileNoter which allows me to read my OneNote notes and take new
    notes. I should also note thy my company is a Blackberry shop. I dislike my BB so much that I forward all of my calls to my iPhone. I'd rather use my own minutes than talk on that brick!
    iPhone Newbie

34 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellotime91 View Post
    1. Graphic / Web Designer

2. I use the email app more than anything to regrettably communicate with people who have no idea what they are talking about..

3. Mail to talk to clients, Phone to have them waste my minutes, Safari for looking at the ridiculous websites they want their product to look like, PS Mobile for quick proofing (rarely, but it's come in handy), LogMeIn Ignition to access files on the go.
    You don't really seem to like your job!!!!
    iPhone Nanite

9 Posts

Just Mail, and Navigation sometimes
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Smile TuffGrrl's day

Tell us a bit about yourself!
    My online name is TuffGrrl and I’m a fashion student, and a fashion blogger

Tell us a bit about a typical day in your life!
    I usually start my day around 6.30 am, waking up to the “Bell Tower” alarm on my 32 gig white iPhone 3Gs and do my usual morning rituals (bath and the like! it’s a girl thing =P) Then over breakfast I check the morning news using the “Kompas” and “Jakarta Globe” app, a TuffGrrl needs her news you know (and yes, I think I accidentally told you guys where I live... oops!)

I decided to go green today and take the bus to campus, so I quickly opened up the TransJakarta app for the bus routes and schedules. On the bus, I read through my emails using the mail app while listening to some Kate Walsh or Ingrid Michaelson on the iPod app.

On campus, I still have about 30 minutes til the class starts so I decided to update my Twitter and drool over Miu Miu’s deerskin leather tote on the Net-a-Porter app. After class, I sneaked into the photography studio with a couple of my girls and ate our lunch there afterwards we drowned ourselves with fashion frenzy using the Net-a-Porter and Style.com app and took cool pictures with the Hipstamatic app.

I LOVE MONDAYS! Our class ended around 1pm so my girls and I decided to grab some dessert at this new cafe, problem is... we don’t know where it’s at! Good thing I have buUuk on my iPhone (psst..we even got discount coupons from buUuk!.. and of course the maps app <3

After I got home and connected to the home wifi(which is just OH-SO fast! LOL), I logged on Skype and saw my boyfriend online. We talked for hours, I almost forgot to update my blog! around 7.30pm I surfed the web on Safari, looking for inspirations from Susie Bubble’s blog, Tavi’s blog, and Michelle Koesnadi’s Glisters and Blisters blog

Around 10pm I re-setted my alarm on my iPhone and went to bed, eagerly waiting to wake up tomorrow morning

What are your top 5 Apps?
    1. iPod
    2. Net-a-Porter
    3. Hipstamatic
    4. Style.com
    5. Skype
    Last edited by TuffGrrl; 06-13-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Size madness. . . sorry!
    iPhone Beginner

84 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

I'm faculty at a two-year college where I teach in and manage the mechanical maintenance program. I also provide technical training services to companies in my area.

My phone is an integral part of my day. During the school year (I'm off now for the most part!), I tend to work very long days; it's not uncommon for me to work several 15 hour days as I teach day and night classes. My phone is my conduit to my students. Though my school won't pay for or even subsidize my phone, it is my preferred method to communicate with them and is worth the personal cost. I require my students to contact me if they can not make it to class. Texting is the primary means for doing this but calling me works fine also as well as sending email. Furthermore I encourage students to call/text/email me outside of class if they have questions regarding assignments which they readily do. I have some training materials (video) on my phone as well. It is my backup when something goes wrong in the classroom or when I'm on site with a client. The AV cable is a must-have for me in situations like this. While pricey, the few times I've needed to use it easily justified the cost.

I use the camera on my phone quite a bit to take pictures of lab work students are doing as well as interesting thing I see when working at a client's facility. Instead of emailing the pictures, I copy/paste into an email and send it thus preserving the higher resolution picture for use in my classroom. It's a small thing for sure, but having the larger image to work with is helpful in visually getting my point across.

My must-have apps are nothing special in the grand scheme of things. The include the Calendar (there is no way I could do my job well without the ability to manage my time commitments), Messaging (a critical link to my students), Email (I've provided academic counseling while on vacation via my email client), Docs To Go (did I mention I'm a full-time doctoral student?) and Safari (having the web at my fingertips is phenomenal). Most of the other apps I have are games, because sometimes you just need a release!
    iMore Newbie

15 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

I am in law enforcement and I use my iPhone everyday for work.

I use the iPhone's email app for my agency's email. It works great and helps me stay up to date on my agency email when accessing a computer isn't possible.

Evernote is great for courtroom testimony. I use it to quickly access case notes I have saved, as well as accessing case law I have saved into my Evernote. It is also great for taking a snapshot of a subpoena or business card and having it searchable after you sync. Other than email and calendar, Evernote is my most used app.

Spanish for Police app is amazing and has proven to be beneficial to me in my job. When talking to a spanish speaking people, it is almost impossible to communicate without this app. (for me at least).

I use iPhone's calendar app for all my scheduling. I think it is perfect for my uses. It does everything I want it to as well as keeping in sync with my Macbook Pro. I mostly use it to keep track of my appointments and court dates.

iOwn is a great inventory app that is helpful. I use it to keep up with items and serial #'s of both personal and agency owned equipment. Unfortunately, it has been pulled from the app store due to some type of trademark infringement from what I can tell.

Errands is a great app for keeping up with certain tasks that need to be done. I use it to keep track of certain citations I want to keep track of and see the disposition after adjudication. I like it because it puts the little number icon on the app so it is easy to see how may tasks that are left to complete.

My top 5 would be eMail, Calendar, Evernote, Spanish for Police, and Errands.

The iPhone is a very useful tool in law enforcement. However, not many of my fellow officers use them (at least in my area). A lot of the officers are carrying more rugged type phones.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast