Why give infractions days and days after the fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know Rene was going around the 6S Plus forum yesterday and decided to order John to hand out infractions for RavenSword's thread. It ultimately got Sean banned (who knows how long). I got a "disruptive posting" infraction for telling RavenSword to just do whatever he wants with a JFC attached to it. Understandable.

My question is why not just give the infractions on the spot instead of waiting for Rene to tell you to give them retroactively? Like when the posts are like 10-15 days old? What should we expect from here on out? Just curious.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What you can expect is moderators acting to make sure our community and PUPPAH guidelines are adhered to (same as it has always been). If you keep the PUPPAH guidelines in mind (pretty easy), you should have no problems: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Our mods use their discretion to make sure everything is fun, fair and respectful around here. If you feel otherwise - I need to know about it. Keep in mind our volunteers are donating their time and expertise to us, and do it because it's a passion of theirs. They are great people and have the best of intentions - and like me - they want to do what is best for the community.

What I'd suggest if you have concerns - reach out to me directly so that I can address 1-1. I handle all sorts of requests every day - From guests, members, volunteers, staff - all sorts of people. Any and all feedback I can get will help make things better around here.

My email is below - or feel free to PM (although I have to admit I'm not as snappy with PM's) :p

Thanks!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
One more thing...on handing out warnings/infractions after the fact... things have been rather busy around iMore latey (that's an aweasome thing). As such, there's been a lot of activity here in the forums.

Sometimes things aren't reported - but we do hear of issues via PM, email or word of mouth - and that can take some time to filter down.

When that happens it's on us to loop back and check out the situation... just because a post may be a few days, weeks or even months old does not exclude it from the community guidelines!

Long, boring story short - Stick to the PUPPAH and there's nothing to worry about.

Again, my email is below (er, and above - thanks @Assassin Droid) should you have any additional concerns.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What you can expect is moderators acting to make sure our community and PUPPAH guidelines are adhered to (same as it has always been). If you keep the PUPPAH guidelines in mind (pretty easy), you should have no problems: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

One more thing...on handing out warnings/infractions after the fact... things have been rather busy around iMore latey (that's an aweasome thing). As such, there's been a lot of activity here in the forums.

Sometimes things aren't reported - but we do hear of issues via PM, email or word of mouth - and that can take some time to filter down.

When that happens it's on us to loop back and check out the situation... just because a post may be a few days, weeks or even months old does not exclude it from the community guidelines!

I highly doubt any of us were actually reported. It was apparent to me that Rene was around the 6S Plus forum where he replied to a thread and around the same time frame I got my infraction. It was obviously Rene contacting the mod leader and basically telling him to just not hold back with infractions.

The confusion I have with this is that why was most of what was being posted okay until a precise moment where Rene decided to get really technical about PUPPAH? Is it going to continue to be this strict and technical? And why aren't members like RavenSword being punished as well? Please don't say it's because nobody has reported him. He doesn't need to be reported to know that he's trolling.

I don't feel this is something I should contact you one on one with because it's something that I'd like to have answered on behalf of all of us. If it's going to be Sesame Street here, what's the point of participating?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, I don't mind being made an example...because it doesn't phase me a bit to take a few days break from the site and do other things. The actions aren't subtle or hard to figure out, especially when people start popping into the threads that NEVER participate in the forums and then BAM...cogs start spinning. Let's at least be honest about it...it wasn't about a busy website and slowed reaction to a situation because of such...this was targeted, and the writing is on the wall.

I'll say this though, and this is in response to the comment I've heard echoed a few times in regards to all of this flack flying around in relation to infractions and bans and what not...You say the moderators are volunteers offering their time and expertise to the forums, and they do it because it's a passion of theirs.

Well what the hell do you think the community members are? Those of us who post a lot, help a lot and discuss a lot? You guys aren't doing us any favors, we're volunteering OUR time, OUR expertise and OUR passion to this community to strengthen it, grow it and keep it from becoming stagnant.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll say this though, and this is in response to the comment I've heard echoed a few times in regards to all of this flack flying around in relation to infractions and bans and what not...You say the moderators are volunteers offering their time and expertise to the forums, and they do it because it's a passion of theirs.

Well what the hell do you think the community members are? Those of us who post a lot, help a lot and discuss a lot? You guys aren't doing us any favors, we're volunteering OUR time, OUR expertise and OUR passion to this community to strengthen it, grow it and keep it from becoming stagnant.

I 100% absolutely totally agree! :) The community members are awesome - judging by the passion and feedback in this thread alone - that's hard to dispute :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner