Ask a Question

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
With the plethora of off the wall, non-technical questions - stuff like why someone would order burger/fries and similar, is this whole "Ask A Question" an epic failure on the part of iMore and Mobile Nations?

It seems to me to be a great troll magnet, and very little more.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've got a thread going in our 'staff only' section of the forum discussing this very thing... lots of ordure in the punch bowl lately...

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Same here, I've noticed it and thought it was kind of strange. Some of the questions have next to nothing to do with tech.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It has this weird feel of thread count boosting. I'm not sure how that works but I think it's got a direct effect on traffic generation. So would that be a financial move? Hmm..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The intent of the Ask A Question feature is admirable, and it has generated a good deal of traffic for iMore and Mobile Nations. Having said that, what's negative about it is starting to outweigh the positive due to what I see as deliberate misuse.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The intent of the Ask A Question feature is admirable, and it has generated a good deal of traffic for iMore and Mobile Nations. Having said that, what's negative about it is starting to outweigh the positive due to what I see as deliberate misuse.
'nuff said. :D

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Same here I looked through my replies and 90% are never looked at again. I don't mind helping but more or less seems like a waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
May I recommend some sort of screening/approval process for all "ask a question" posts? I think if these posts needed to be approved by a mod or someone before they got posted it will eliminate this problem for good. Just a thought.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
May I recommend some sort of screening/approval process for all "ask a question" posts? I think if these posts needed to be approved by a mod or someone before they got posted it will eliminate this problem for good. Just a thought.

That would be hard for a mod to keep up with I would think. Turn around would be longer than wanted.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
That would be hard for a mod to keep up with I would think. Turn around would be longer than wanted.

That's true but maybe Ambassador's can also be part of the approval process to help speed things up. Idk maybe it's not a viable option but I hope we can find something to be done because these posts are getting more ridiculous everyday.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Or just dump the whole Ask A Question thing in the dust bin. It’s more trouble than it’s worth from this vantage point.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe make it so the comment has to have some word related to an Apple product related issue such as "computer", "iCloud", "iPhone", "iPad", or something like that to be posted to the Ask a Question section.

Along with mod/ambassador approval, the misuse of Ask a Question could be diminished.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Same here I looked through my replies and 90% are never looked at again. I don't mind helping but more or less seems like a waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. I've responded to lots of threads and the OP has never come back for a reply or even a thank you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox