VOTE: Ban Politics in forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
A sane response offering a very simple and personal solution to implement, people that point to ban things they aren't comfortable with actually scare me, especially when they can so easily avoid.

It's the unread feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's the unread feed.

It's not the unread feed. It's your lack of willpower to stay out. Same here. But I do find it amusing. I'm battle worn from years on Twitter. But I can't help jumping in.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
@Scatabrain, et al: Once you engage in a dialog with someone you strongly disagree with, it is very difficult to pull yourself away. Political debates require immense discipline and thick skin; both of which don't grow on trees. Just remember that many of the (never-ending) pernicious political posters here forget to drink fresh water once in a while. Don't let that ruin your thirst.

This is so true!

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
If I contributed to your negative experience in any way I sincerely apologize. I'm going to cool it on all the forums for awhile. iMore is a great community and I don't want to help bring it down a peg. I have tried other forums recently and they are just not as good of a community as here.

I always try to be respectful but politics does drag me in to fruitless discussions.

Same sentiment to others if I bugged anyone in any way.

Cheers.

No, it wasn't you. It wasn't one person in particular. Just like Sanibel said, after engaging in those threads, it's extremely hard to pull out.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If I contributed to your negative experience in any way I sincerely apologize. I'm going to cool it on all the forums for awhile. iMore is a great community and I don't want to help bring it down a peg. I have tried other forums recently and they are just not as good of a community as here.

I always try to be respectful but politics does drag me in to fruitless discussions.

Same sentiment to others if I bugged anyone in any way.

Cheers.

Nah stick around. You just have to let it pass you by. There is always going to be trolls out there who intentionally stir the pot, that's why I just let the threads pass me by. They pollute a lot of the threads and there really isn't much we can do about it.

All I wish iMore would implement is a way to filter out the posts you don't want to see. I don't care what everyone else thinks about "we should do this or that" give everyone the choice to do what they want.

When you have a group of faceless people on the net it's just the way it's going to be. I look at the trolls differently today. They don't know me and I don't know them so the hell with them. On the other side I have met some really good people here, you just have to ignore the trolls. Anyway I hope you stick around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Nah stick around. You just have to let it pass you by. There is always going to be trolls out there who intentionally stir the pot, that's why I just let the threads pass me by. They pollute a lot of the threads and there really isn't much we can do about it.

All I wish iMore would implement is a way to filter out the posts you don't want to see. I don't care what everyone else thinks about "we should do this or that" give everyone the choice to do what they want.

When you have a group of faceless people on the net it's just the way it's going to be. I look at the trolls differently today. They don't know me and I don't know them so the hell with them. On the other side I have met some really good people here, you just have to ignore the trolls. Anyway I hope you stick around.

I second that.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
And on another note if you don't feed the trolls they go away. We just have to band together and ignore them. This forum is here because of us not them. Let's keep it that way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
And on another note if you don't feed the trolls they go away. We just have to band together and ignore them. This forum is here because of us not them. Let's keep it that way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

If you feed them too much you become one of them.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

I think people misunderstand what trolling is. Disagreement or heated debating is not trolling. It's perfectly fine to disagree. Trolling would be riling someone up just because that's what you want to do. I've been called a troll on here several times and the fact is I genuinely disagree with the person.

Also, why are people so bothered by someone who is a thousand miles away over an electronic connection. In fact, I think it's more disturbing than the troll that's someone's mental state is fragile as to be compromised by someone who has no impact on their life and is essentially a ghost, non-corporeal, and anonymous.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh I have no problem with disagreements. That's fine by me, intentionally coming to a forum and posting crap that has nothing to do with the original post is what bothers me.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think people misunderstand what trolling is. Disagreement or heated debating is not trolling. It's perfectly fine to disagree. Trolling would be riling someone up just because that's what you want to do. I've been called a troll on here several times and the fact is I genuinely disagree with the person.

Also, why are people so bothered by someone who is a thousand miles away over an electronic connection. In fact, I think it's more disturbing than the troll that's someone's mental state is fragile as to be compromised by someone who has no impact on their life and is essentially a ghost, non-corporeal, and anonymous.

With all respect you tend to disagree with pretty much every post you participate in. You debate those on the same side of a debate as you. And you told someone recently 'Seriously, i hope you burn'. Perhaps intended as humor. But that's not how it might read. Not picking on you, just pointing out why others might react negatively to you and consider your combativeness trolling.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
With all respect you tend to disagree with pretty much every post you participate in. You debate those on the same side of a debate as you. And you told someone recently 'Seriously, i hope you burn'. Perhaps intended as humor. But that's not how it might read. Not picking on you, just pointing out why others might react negatively to you and consider your combativeness trolling.

Thank you! I was battling myself to keep from responding to him, but you did it for me, and in the proper way too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
To get back on topic, much of the 'repeating a similar thread as soon as another is closed from abuse' hasn't really been an issue since. Must have been the mid terms drawing people out. I cringe to think of the next year leading up to the big election. I will be muting many on Facebook for sure.

Off topic: I once prototyped a Facebook app called Fantocracy where you would make a sport out of online debating. A meter would show how much support each side had with moderators to keep it on topic. In the end I decided it was an unproductive, decisive exercise.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
To get back on topic, much of the 'repeating a similar thread as soon as another is closed from abuse' hasn't really been an issue since. Must have been the mid terms drawing people out. I cringe to think of the next year leading up to the big election. I will be muting many on Facebook for sure.

Off topic: I once prototyped a Facebook app called Fantocracy where you would make a sport out of online debating. A meter would show how much support each side had with moderators to keep it on topic. In the end I decided it was an unproductive, decisive exercise.

I disagree. The same things being fought over in the thread about Obama being an exceptional president are the EXACT same things that were fought over in the thread about him being the worst president in modern history. I mean they are exact down to the last T!

As for the app, I would love something like that!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think politics or any other subject should be banned from the forums. I personally choose to ignore the forum subjects I am not interested in.

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My Vote: Ban Politics in forums. At the very lest close threads that turn into race issues.. As seems to happen with every thread in the Political section.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
My Vote: Ban Politics in forums. At the very lest close threads that turn into race issues.. As seems to happen with every thread in the Political section.

Why are you adverse to talking about race??? I think that's a bigger issue. I'm sitting in Argentjna right now it's like how they don't like to talk about the disappeared during the military junta, nothings all ishts and giggles and dismissing people's opinions on a sensitive topic is about as insulting as you can be. Saying don't talk about it, because you don't like the topics, or it makes you uncomfortable, or it makes people show their true colors pun intended is exactly what people need. You shouldn't be comfortable , it should be tackled head on, examined, understood , and improved. If we can read articles on how Adam Lanzas cry for help went unheard we can make an attempt to understand the systematic disenfranchisement of various groups with in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73