VOTE: Ban Politics in forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see it banned. People joined this site to discuss phones. If someone really wants to discuss politics I'm sure there are plenty of forums to do that. Personally I won't go into anything on the politics forum. I won't discuss religion or politics unless it's with someone I know very well.

If we're going to limit the discussion to phones, why not just iPhones? After all this is iMore. So no android, BB, etc. No sports discussions, no TV/movies, etc. The point of a forum site having "lounge" or "off topic" areas are to allow the users to interact and discuss all manner of things in addition to (in the case of Mobile Nations), mobile devices and computers.

Can’t have some off topic areas if we ban others. All or nothing, I say.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If we're going to limit the discussion to phones, why not just iPhones? After all this is iMore. So no android, BB, etc. No sports discussions, no TV/movies, etc. The point of a forum site having "lounge" or "off topic" areas are to allow the users to interact and discuss all manner of things in addition to (in the case of Mobile Nations), mobile devices and computers.

Can?t have some off topic areas if we ban others. All or nothing, I say.

I actually see your point and agree with that. I didn't look at it that way. Thank you

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
No banning for me. Just want to block what I want so it doesn't show up in unread.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Remembering not long ago the decision of adding a Political Sub Forum was met with a bit of concern as its a very polarized topic in our country today and I avoid the threads here because I will make enemies of my own conscience

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see it banned. People joined this site to discuss phones. If someone really wants to discuss politics I'm sure there are plenty of forums to do that. Personally I won't go into anything on the politics forum. I won't discuss religion or politics unless it's with someone I know very well.

I won't even discuss politics or religion with some members of my own family.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The politics forum is not where I am likely to go. It's in an off topic area and I pass it by.
I don't agree with censorship. Just because I don't want to participate in a discussion doesn't mean that the discussion should be banned.
That's different from giving advice or help to activities that go contrary to Apple policies and terms of use on Apple products. There the forum would the risk of action from Apple.
So no, keep the politics forum where it is. I just don't go there. I went in once or twice and that's how I learned to stay away.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not for banning, blocking, or ignoring button. I believe everyone has a right to be heard whether I like what he or she have to say or not. If I do not like what I'm reading I'll simply move on. Respectfully my vote would be No.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
No. As long as people can be civil and respectful there's no problem with it whatsoever.

The world is not a vacuum. Politics touches everything, Even apple products. From outsourcing jobs and manufacturing, to the environment, to taxation and is it good to allow companies to shelter money offshore free from taxes, to gay rights, to women's equality in the workplace. And you can go on and on. Those are issues that people have feelings on and they often break down on political lines like pretty much any other topic. This sort of strikes me like people that always say, "can't we just not talk about race." Those people just want to act like it doesn't exist. It's a fantasy. Things are interconnected. It's not a vacuum. It's like when Tim Cook came out as gay. The people that are against gay rights where the people that where the first to start screaming. "Why can't Apple not talk about this." And honestly, I don't see many political posts imore. If you don't like them, just pass on reading the thread.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am in favor of banning politics on iMore. Like the OP, I have engaged in the political threads here on iMore, but I am just tired of it. All the negativity it's pulling on me. Politics are politics, and I don't think a tech site is the place to discuss it properly.
Also, most of the people inflaming the political section aren't even iMore natives. They for the most part ONLY post in the political section. I think that's wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Your just going to have to ignore them. I don't like them either but I really doubt they are going to get rid of them. Same people that crap all over the regular posts also.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I am in favor of banning politics on iMore. Like the OP, I have engaged in the political threads here on iMore, but I am just tired of it. All the negativity it's pulling on me. Politics are politics, and I don't think a tech site is the place to discuss it properly.
Also, most of the people inflaming the political section aren't even iMore natives. They for the most part ONLY post in the political section. I think that's wrong.

If I contributed to your negative experience in any way I sincerely apologize. I'm going to cool it on all the forums for awhile. iMore is a great community and I don't want to help bring it down a peg. I have tried other forums recently and they are just not as good of a community as here.

I always try to be respectful but politics does drag me in to fruitless discussions.

Same sentiment to others if I bugged anyone in any way.

Cheers.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

You know you don't have to read them, the politics forum, there are plenty of forums that speak to just discussing products, phone, technology, ... Maybe the political forum is the more in iMore. And yes this seems a very tough subject politics or religion if you can only discuss with people you know very well, it's best that you don't read that section of the website and avoid clicking on it. Unless of course you are being forced to click on it, in which case, I'm not sure what to recommend.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
@Scatabrain, et al: Once you engage in a dialog with someone you strongly disagree with, it is very difficult to pull yourself away. Political debates require immense discipline and thick skin; both of which don't grow on trees. Just remember that many of the (never-ending) pernicious political posters here forget to drink fresh water once in a while. Don't let that ruin your thirst.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not for banning, blocking, or ignoring button. I believe everyone has a right to be heard whether I like what he or she have to say or not. If I do not like what I'm reading I'll simply move on. Respectfully my vote would be No.

A sane response offering a very simple and personal solution to implement, people that point to ban things they aren't comfortable with actually scare me, especially when they can so easily avoid.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
@Scatabrain, et al: Once you engage in a dialog with someone you strongly disagree with, it is very difficult to pull yourself away. Political debates require immense discipline and thick skin; both of which don't grow on trees. Just remember that many of the (never-ending) political pernicious posters here forget to drink fresh water once in a while. Don't let that ruin your thirst.

I think it's the opposite someone who is so disturbed by someone having a different view from them is quite scary. The fact that one is incapable of having such a debate is more disturbing than the people you say don't drink fresh water.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the opposite someone who is so disturbed by someone having a different view from them is quite scary. The fact that one is incapable of having such a debate is more disturbing than the people you say don't drink fresh water.
You misunderstood me. I'm responding to some offensive (personal) attacks. If you read my previous post to this thread (#20) you'll find out on which side I stand.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
@Scatabrain, et al: Once you engage in a dialog with someone you strongly disagree with, it is very difficult to pull yourself away. Political debates require immense discipline and thick skin; both of which don't grow on trees. Just remember that many of the (never-ending) political pernicious posters here forget to drink fresh water once in a while. Don't let that ruin your thirst.

Yeah. I let myself get dragged in. It really bothers me when I read something I disagree with and it's intentionally provocative. That's my issue to deal with. Remembering that it is feeding the topic and annoying everyone else will be enough for me to stay away. The tech eater's post above really makes me feel guilty for my part since that I am the OP of this thread and went back into those topics. :(.

I'll just watch the daily show and focus on app development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR