imore causing my app store to auto-open

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
yesterday I visited imore 3 times trying to read the forums or an article when an ad would cause safari to launch a new page and then launch my app store.

I know ads pay for the site so I'm not asking for them to go away but can y'all at least get rid of the ones that cause my phone to launch new pages and go to the app store?

I can't even begin to describe how annoying that is. if apple would let me I would give a zero star rating to every app that I was led to by this kind of ad campaign. put a popup in here and then to tell me about a new app, fine, but don't interrupt my workflow by causing me to leave that page, and then have to close the app store, close the second page and then damn, where'd the first page go, then have to work my way back to where I was.

Thanks for listening.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What browser are you using? Is this happening from a computer or via a mobile device? Are you certain that you are not inadvertently clicking on the ads that initiates the opening of the App Store?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was on my iphone 5S running iOS 8, using Safari.

I didn't click on any ads that I'm aware of. this isn't to say its not impossible that one jumps out at just the right moment when I was clicking something else, but if it did, that didn't catch my eye.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
hoped on my phone to recreate. was viewing this very thread when a popup jumps up, and without me clicking it launched the app store to an app called triplespot.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
refreshed again and didn't touch screen at all and it didn't launch. funny. when I did touch screen it was an inch below the add and to scroll. this means its possible the ad is prompted via touch but if it is, its instantly making it to where you can't even scroll, just merely touch the screen anywhere to scroll, while its up and like a really hot gun, it instantly triggers the ad.

two more attempts confirms it.

it is triggered by touch but thats anywhere on the screen while its up, I know ios 8 allows you to record to quicktime but I think the quicktime ability won't come till yosemite or I'd show you a video.

thats still very annoying. ads that trick you into clicking on them suck in my view just as badly.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
here's two screen shots. you see the thread up as I read. then I his refresh, wait till it reloads and goes back where I was, and the add appears. I then touch the screen 4 lines below the ad where it says "new app, fine but don't" scroll a bit, and when I let go, it launches the app store.

IMG_0915 1.PNGIMG_0916 1.PNG

6alaxse

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
yesterday I visited imore 3 times trying to read the forums or an article when an ad would cause safari to launch a new page and then launch my app store.

I know ads pay for the site so I'm not asking for them to go away but can y'all at least get rid of the ones that cause my phone to launch new pages and go to the app store?

I can't even begin to describe how annoying that is. if apple would let me I would give a zero star rating to every app that I was led to by this kind of ad campaign. put a popup in here and then to tell me about a new app, fine, but don't interrupt my workflow by causing me to leave that page, and then have to close the app store, close the second page and then damn, where'd the first page go, then have to work my way back to where I was.

Thanks for listening.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen