What's with the Nonstop Ads?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Every page I visit has a full page ad pop up once or twice while I am trying to browse the forums (website). Is this intentional, and is there a way to fix this? Can we put the ads on the side please? No offense to iMore, I am just asking a question :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Every page I visit has a full page ad pop up once or twice while I am trying to browse the forums (website). Is this intentional, and is there a way to fix this? Can we put the ads on the side please? No offense to iMore, I am just asking a question :)

Install the Ad Blocker browser extension if you dare. But remember, if you do that, Rene's Godkids won?t be able to eat. Those ads pay the bills.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Install the Ad Blocker browser extension if you dare. But remember, if you do that, Rene's Godkids won?t be able to eat. Those ads pay the bills.

I am using the website on iPad, so no go on AdBlock for me. Plus I wouldn't want to use AdBlock because it stops iMore from making money. I was just hoping we could maybe move the ads somewhere else, or make them not full page every time I go to a new page.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this earlier. Mobile Safari (or any app that uses the web view on the iPad) will show a full screen app on every page load. I've curtailed my use of the site as a result. (I also sent a tweet to the @imore account.) I understand the need to generate revenue, but there comes a point where it's just too much hassle to actual visit the site (like any full page ad on the mobile device where you have to try and tap that small freakin' X to close it). I've all but given up on visiting iMore except when at home and on my laptop.

MikeNNN

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Man, do I agree. The site is unusable on an iPad. An ad popped up twice in the two minutes it took me to type this. I had to close the ad to continue typing. When I follow a link to iMore from Feedly it's worse: most times, an ad pops up and I can't remove it and I have to quit the program completely.

Unbelievably unusable site. And that's aside from most of a page's eial estate being taken up by static ads.

Please consider your readers and fix this ASAP.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. I get paying the bills but full page ads on each page load has made the site almost unusable on my iPad.

Will have to explore other site options if this continues

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Have to agree as well. Just not usable on an iPhone or iPad. And that new top bar is just flat out annoying. Have to use tapatalk just to tolerate the forums now.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Have to agree as well. Just not usable on an iPhone or iPad. And that new top bar is just flat out annoying. Have to use tapatalk just to tolerate the forums now.

That's what I've had to end up doing. The ads have stopped me from using the site.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks that top bar is kind of annoying on mobile. I suppose it's supposed to mimc how mobile Safari hides and shows the address bar when scrolling, etc., but I never thought of that as something that should be emulated elsewhere. I barely tolerate it on the OS level.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I was told on Twitter that the full page ad on every page load on mobile was a bug and they were working to fix it. From past conversations, I believe full page ads should only appear once a day (unless you have the audacity to use private browsing or different browser apps throughout the day in which case you'll see them more often since their appearance is based on cookies in the browser).

I guess best case for me would be if they skipped full page ads on the mobile platforms, although that would probably put quite a dent in their revenue since I imagine a significant percentage of users come in through the iPad or iPhone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apps in iOS 8 will have more full page ads. Some will be videos, and some will have no x to skip the ad. Some will pop up whenever you switch gears in an app. Check the free version of Words With Friends. It's horrible. What gets me is that Apple seems to think we like ads. They think we will just love iBeacons. Nope, not me. If I want to purchase anything, I know where to look. I don't need ads and Beacons being shoved at me, ruining my iPhone experience. I block most ads in Safari and in some apps. But I don't use an ad block app.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apps in iOS 8 will have more full page ads. Some will be videos, and some will have no x to skip the ad. Some will pop up whenever you switch gears in an app. Check the free version of Words With Friends. It's horrible. What gets me is that Apple seems to think we like ads. They think we will just love iBeacons. Nope, not me. If I want to purchase anything, I know where to look. I don't need ads and Beacons being shoved at me, ruining my iPhone experience. I block most ads in Safari and in some apps. But I don't use an ad block app.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

I understand the need for ads, to a point. But when they are so prevalent and so intrusive so as to interfere with the overall experience of an app, a game, a device or a website, there quickly comes a point when one realizes that the effort is simply not worth the payoff.

That’s one of the reasons that I don’t mind paying for apps - many times, if I have a choice between a "free" app (one with ads) and a paid app, the paid version usually gets my vote. The real kicker is when you pay for an app and STILL get ads. That’s just wrong. I think the Latin phrase is "cassius grabbus".

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
I agree, full page ads once, twice a day. No problem. If I 'have to' see it for them to make money, once each visit. But to have it pop up on every page, and worse yet once I've already started to read, is absolutely ridiculous. Have already discovered viable alternatives if this is not fixed FAST. Would hate to do that since iMore is my go to site for all things iPone/iPad.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I've been avoiding the website because of it. The pop up ad is very annoying on my iPad. The top bar gets in the way every time you scroll down. It's starting to look like geocities here!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all that reported the issue. Be sure to do the same in the future, we can notify our ad partner immediately on things like this.