Full Screen Ads (kind of?)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
The past couple of days, I've seen an annoying popup ad at the bottom of the screen on the main iMore site. It seems that I have a proclivity to accidentally activate that into some sort of full screen HP ad (full screen in that it grays out the page but doesn't seem to ever fully load) that 1) takes forever to load and 2) doesn't seem to be easily dismissed. I've had to shutdown the Safari tab just to get a functioning browser back. Is this hopefully just some sort of experiment that will be summarily dismissed as too invasive, or is iMore moving towards these more "prevalent" modes of advertisement? (Or maybe I'm just unlucky, and it's a good thing that I have a Mac instead of an HP running Internet Explorer where I could get into all sorts of trouble with unintended clicking.)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
When ads like that are in rotation with our ad partner, they should appear no more than once per day, per browser.

Well, maybe, but I imagine I'm not the only one who frequently flushes cache/cookies or operates in private browse mode sometimes. This was the third time I had it this morning (all while logged in as me) since I cleared history a few times. Regardless, full page ads are not only annoying as heck and turn me off to a site, but they seem to take forever to load, delaying me from actually using the site. I've had it hang for quite a while before and just gave up and went to a different site. I like iMore/Mobile Nations and understand that you need to pay the bills, but when they interfere with the experience of actually using a site, they might not be the bargain they appear to be if users go elsewhere. I don't want to use an ad blocker and block all revenue due you, but I really dislike these kinds of in your face tactics.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
These ads are getting annoying

imagepng

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a question, do we have a way to eliminate these ads? Like how sites have a premium (Donation) badge that'll alow them to block the ads?

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal