Google's Gboard lets you launch a search right from your iPhone keyboard

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have stayed away from 3rd party keyboards but definitely gonna give this one a whirl. I use Google A LOT and love the search features that it has

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I love it so far. It's missing 3D Touch on the keyboard to make selections within the body of text but it's amazing with everything else. Maybe that 3D Touch capability will come later! I'm swiping away typing this response!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Initial thoughts...
PROS: I like the swipe capability. It's fast and accurate. It has "SwiftKey" style predictions, which is nice because I'm horrible at typing on software keyboards.
CONS: It has no voice dictation and no 3D Touch support. The keyboard search is gimmicky. I didn't find conducting Google searches in that small of a space convenient and would probably never use it.
It's better than some, and I like Gmail's mindset. The fact that it is missing must-have features is a deal breaker for me. Uninstalled for now.
I partially agree with @ledsteplin when it comes to the brightness. I don't mind it over a light background but it's distracting over a dark background. The stock keyboard is bright but it automatically adjusts for darker backgrounds.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You're onto something about the dictation. That one I didn't even catch since the only time I really use it is when responding from my watch

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Initial thoughts...
PROS: I like the swipe capability. It's fast and accurate. It has "SwiftKey" style predictions, which is nice because I'm horrible at typing on software keyboards.
CONS: It has no voice dictation and no 3D Touch support. The keyboard search is gimmicky. I didn't find conducting Google searches in that small of a space convenient and would probably never use it.
It's better than some, and I like Gmail's mindset. The fact that it is missing must-have features is a deal breaker for me. Uninstalled for now.
I partially agree with @ledsteplin when it comes to the brightness. I don't mind it over a light background but it's distracting over a dark background. The stock keyboard is bright but it automatically adjusts for darker backgrounds.

Nor will they have dictation and 3D Touch, as long as Apple disallows those.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77