FBI drops legal action against Apple in iPhone unlock case

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
While it's a bummer that the FBI was able to break into the phone (to those worried about privacy an encryption), I'm glad that it didn't involve help from Apple. The FBI may have hacked the phone but they failed to set a nasty precent that could be used to fuel future requests.

Last edited:

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Not really terrists should not have any rights. Well one and that is to face the firing squad. So getting into the bums phone is fine.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not really terrists should not have any rights. Well one and that is to face the firing squad. So getting into the bums phone is fine.

I should have been more clear in my response and I've edited it as a result. I don't feel that it's a bummer that the FBI got into the terrorist's phone specifically; I feel that it's a bummer that a private entity was able to break into an iPhone. It means that there's a way in. I'm not afraid of the government. I'm not doing anything that would warrant them looking at my iPhone to begin with. I'm more afraid of someone else getting into it without my consent.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I should have been more clear in my response and I've edited it as a result. I don't feel that it's a bummer that the FBI got into the terrorist's phone specifically; I feel that it's a bummer that a private entity was able to break into an iPhone. It means that there's a way in. I'm not afraid of the government. I'm not doing anything that would warrant them looking at my iPhone to begin with. I'm more afraid of someone else getting into it without my consent.

Hopefully, Cellebrite and the Feds won't leak how they did it. Hopefully, Apple knows how they did it and will patch it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, Cellebrite and the Feds won't leak how they did it. Hopefully, Apple knows how they did it and will patch it.

That's my main concern. And does it have anything to do with the terrorist using a weak passcode? A four-digit code is much easier to break than, for example, a 16-character alphanumeric code. Even if they found a way to bypass Apple's limits on entering incorrect passcodes, it would still be nearly impossible to use brute force to get through a strong passcode.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's my main concern. And does it have anything to do with the terrorist using a weak passcode? A four-digit code is much easier to break than, for example, a 16-character alphanumeric code. Even if they found a way to bypass Apple's limits on entering incorrect passcodes, it would still be nearly impossible to use brute force to get through a strong passcode.

And I don't see them ever telling us the details. I want to know all the hack info as well as what info was found.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not at all surprised that the lawsuit was dropped. I've always expected it at some point. As for having a way into the device, I'm not surprised at that either. There's always a way, and that is why security & encryption are always evolving. Those of us who own iOS devices should not be alarmed or even concerned about the FBI having found a way into a device previously owned by terrorists. First of all, look how long it took them. Furthermore, I expect Apple to make the necessary changes to strengthen iOS in light of it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Well now that the debate over personal privacy versus national security is temporarily over are we back to debating iOS versus Android? Or is there something else that we can fight over?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well now that the debate over personal privacy versus national security is temporarily over are we back to debating iOS versus Android? Or is there something else that we can fight over?

There will always be two viewpoints. Take a look at the current debate over the iPad Pro. The 12.9" version is viewed by some as the "REAL" iPad Pro whereas the new 9.7" version is viewed by some as an "iPad Air 2 on steroids", although it carries the iPad Pro title....

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There will always be two viewpoints. Take a look at the current debate over the iPad Pro. The 12.9" version is viewed by some as the "REAL" iPad Pro whereas the new 9.7" version is viewed by some as an "iPad Air 2 on steroids", although it carries the iPad Pro title....

Well that's silly. It's a Pro because it has the word "Pro" in the title. End of debate. Lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well that's silly. It's a Pro because it has the word "Pro" in the title. End of debate. Lol.

Yeah, but I'm partially in agreement with the people calling the 12.9" iPad Pro the "Real" one, especially being that the 9.7" version has half the RAM. Furthermore, although the 9.7" version is arguably more attractive to people with older iPads, even more would flock to it, in my opinion, if it had 4 GB RAM. The iPhone 6 Plus and 6S Plus have the same amount of RAM and nearly identical innards so why couldn't the same exist in regard to both iPad Pro models?

Last edited:

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Now I AGREE with you 100? Great clarification.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

To me the 9.7 iPad pro is like a ultra modern iPad 4.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but I'm partially in agreement with the people calling the 12.9" iPad Pro the "Real" one, especially being that the 9.7" version has half the RAM. Furthermore, although the 9.7" version is arguably more attractive to people with older iPads, even more would flock to it, in my opinion, if it had 4 GB RAM. The iPhone 6 Plus and 6S Plus have the same amount of RAM and nearly identical innards so why couldn't the same exist in regard to both iPad Pro models?

What will the iPad Pro 256 GB be referred as?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I read reports that Apple was already working on strengthening security on the iPhones during this whole ordeal in case it comes back again (and it will).

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Now can we let this topic die?

Doubtful. This is only the tip of the iceberg IMO. There will be more cases to follow. I'm not saying I don't want the topic to die just as much as you do; I just don't think it will happen.