Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
So what does everyone think? For me it would be cheaper but the data just is not enough. I have a 30 gb plan and use it almost every month.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So what does everyone think? For me it would be cheaper but the data just is not enough. I have a 30 gb plan and use it almost every month.

We made the jump (see what I did there?) - but we're on AT&T. We're currently sharing 30GB across 5 phone lines. Three lines are purchasing devices via Next, and we're saving about $25/month. If we upgrade one line, we'll about be even where we were before the change. But when the last line gets upgraded, we'll be underwater, compared to the older plan. We switched in part because two of the lines were previously limited to 2GB data plans and were constantly going over... so we switched, and are happy, by and large.

I will probably get the new iPad Mini in the fall and will definitely get the LTE version now.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow what a new Verizon ripoff for single line customers! Figure right now I am paying $60 for unlimited talk,text, 2gb data, and the subsidized iphone 6.. Under these new plans lets see I can choose the small 1gb data loosing the other 1gb that I currently have for $30.00, then pay the $20.00 to add the smartphone to the line, then for an iphone 6 under the device repayment program pay $27.08.. So basically next year if I choose to get a new phone it will run me $77.08 versus the $60.00 that I am paying, I will loose 1gb of my data, and I will have an installement credit card having to pay back a 650+ phone!?... Sounds great.. I guess I will be holding on to my iphone 6 for as long as it operates, then (even though I LOVE my iPhone) I will switch over to a Straight Talk or Tracfone flipphone...it will suck but Verizon has taken enough, I gave up my unlimited data last year..now this!? Nope it will be back to the stone age for me with a flip phone, because I am not giving verizon more money, or being penalized for being a single line customer anymore!

The hike seems right in line with what they always do, drop these new plans and terms a few months before a new iphone model is set to come out!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you don't like the EDGE plans, you can always buy your device from Wal-Mart or Apple. That way you'd still get the 2 year contract plan with Verizon. You only have to go EDGE if purchasing from Verizon. That's my understanding anyways.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This news was a leak. Nothing is official yet. That said, those already on a 2 year contract plan are grandfathered in and can stay on it. Only new subscribers will have to choose from buying outright and the EDGE plans.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Verizon ran some promotions last year such as doubling data. I would wait and see what happens. But not a fan of the new plans as they're more expensive generally. It's not as if Verizon would take a hit.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't like the EDGE plans, you can always buy your device from Wal-Mart or Apple. That way you'd still get the 2 year contract plan with Verizon. You only have to go EDGE if purchasing from Verizon. That's my understanding anyways.

Good to know, Thanks. I don't like the EDGE plan at all or paying full retail!

I have a loyalty plan for $60 that includes 2GB, unlimited T&T.

Then I have another separate line with 10GB, unlimited T&T for $112 after taxes.

I don't need the extra 2GB that the new plans offer while paying monthly for a phone!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77