1Password apps for Mac, iPhone and iPad receive major updates

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
1password-login-creator-iphone6-hero.jpg

Password manager 1Password has been updated, for the Mac as well as the iPhone and iPad. The iOS update focuses on making 1Password more powerful with tools like a new login creator and one-time passwords, while 1Password for Mac receives a lot of important updates to syncing, as well as other additions.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I've used the Google Authenticator app to be my two factor auth token source for a number of sites like Dropbox and Evernote. I assume that's what he means. Now we'll be able to switch over to 1Password for two factor auth tokens.

Correct. No need for the app now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've used the Google Authenticator app to be my two factor auth token source for a number of sites like Dropbox and Evernote. I assume that's what he means. Now we'll be able to switch over to 1Password for two factor auth tokens.

I have no idea what a two factor Auth token is. Is that something I should have had?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I haven't used the Google Authenticator app in quite some time, and I enjoy using it when I did. Having said that, I always forget about it when I opt to restore my devices as new. Now, I simply have all of the services I have two-step authentication set up with send a verification code to my phone. It's working out well for me.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have unlimited SMS on my carrier plan so if a website offers the use of Authenticator apps rather than sms for two factor auth, then I usually use it with sms as a backup.

This is so convenient now having this in one app. I set up all my accounts in about 15 minutes. Works great.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it less safe to have your 2fa stored within the password manager itself? I'm sure they designed it to be secure, but wouldn't having your 2fa generated by a dedicated app still be just little bit better?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Whats the difference? If they have your phone they have it. I trust 1Password more than Google Authenticator.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you use two-factor auth at all? If so, using an app like Google Authenticator or Authy or how 1Password, is an alternative way of receiving the two factor auth token that they would otherwise send via SMS. If the service (like Dropbox) allows you to use an Authenticator app, to set it up you go to the website and it shows you a QR code. In the app, you use the camera to scan the QR code and then it is linked to the website/service. Then if I use Dropbox on a new PC, and I need to get the two factor auth token after entering my password, I open the Authenticator app and I get a six (or so) digit code to enter as my two factor auth token.
If you don't use two factor auth, you should and let me know if you need an explanation of it.

I don't guess I do. If it means entering in more passwords or codes, then I probably don't want to. One strong password has worked well for me on everything. In the 3 years I've had a smartphone, I've never been hacked anywhere. How much more trouble is the two factor Auth? And what is it?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It will get to the point where this will be the norm. It's definitely more secure. For the little bit of time it takes to enter a 6 digit code it's worth it to me.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Whats the difference? If they have your phone they have it. I trust 1Password more than Google Authenticator.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I was mainly speaking of using the 1password for Mac app, and an authenticator app on your phone. Not just 1password for iOS.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW