BlackBerry CEO calls for 'app neutrality', iMessage for all!

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I find this both sad and comical. Outside of the posters on CrackBerry, Chen is being ridiculed for his comments. I agree with Jared Newman on PC World says about Chen:

BlackBerry CEO John Chen proposes profoundly stupid 'app neutrality' law

"BlackBerry?s developer support has sunken so low that the company is now seeking a government bailout."

"This so nonsensical that it only underscores how desperate BlackBerry has become."

"With all due respect to Chen, it?s hard to imagine why a well-qualified, respected business leader would offer up such a profoundly stupid idea in a public blog post."

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is the company that's pooching apps off of Google. It's to be expected. This is the same company whose die hards say that apps don't matter, and that users should put shortcuts in their home screens.
So what is it? Do they not matter and their loyalists are encouraged to pooch another platform, or do they matter and developers should develop for the as well as for their own customers?
So did the whole "better Android than Android" not pay off for BlackBerry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad

Last edited:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
This is just getting sad now. What an embarrassment Chen is.

"Our product isn't good enough to compete, so other companies should be forced to make it better for us."

What a clown.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
We need to remember that this is the same kiddo who threw a temper tantrum when T-Mobile offered a promo for Blackberry users to switch to iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The embarrassing part is he doesn't even know what he is talking about. Your the CEO. Someone should have checked that before it went out lol.

Last edited:

mmcfly23

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Blackberry refused to change with the times (didn't they mock Apple/users for using apps?). I miss some features, however you couldn't pay me to user a blackberry (as of right now). The company is pretty much dead (as a handset maker). Hopefully they get some talent in there that understands the consumer market.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I have absolutely zero involvement with anything BlackBerry. I feel sorry for the people who work there whose livelihood will be affected if they crash and burn. But this slow speed crash that we're watching is so epic that I can't look away. I'm transfixed. I mean the media has just barely stopped making fun of them over the Twitter fiasco. Now they're making fun of them over this bizarre statement. You Google BlackBerry and every single article posted is a blasting of Chen's blog post.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Seems like BB just doesn't get it. Not many people want their devices anymore.
Google makes apps for iOS because they need those hundreds of millions of eyes on their products. Apple doesn't need BB users eyes on their apps.
Like the blog says BB needs to come up with something people want. If you build it they come. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knighty2112

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the big claim from all BlackBerry fans that their phone is a tool not a toy? Now they not only want all Android apps to work on their phones, but also all IOS apps and Windows apps too?

Sadly, BlackBerry are so niche now that most people think they don't make phones anymore!
Loved my Torch 9800, and my Z10 phone, but won't be buying another BlackBerry phone anytime soon.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing. They made their bed. Now when they have to lie in it they want to blame Apple and Google. It was them who turned their backs on native developers by telling people to use Android apps. The Android runtime was supposed to save Blackberry by having a "better Android than Android" and the faithful chanted that like a mantra. Now Chen blames Apple and Google? Please. Chen and Heins created this mess, not Apple and not Google. And to hijack the net neutrality argument is as disingenuous as the pooching of Android apps.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
First of all, Blackberry is dying because of their own actions. Secondly, Chen is a major tool. Not sure how anyone can listen to this drivel.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Leaving aside all the ridicule and personal opinions about Chen's intellect, I would be genuinely interested in knowing, how, we as consumers, would be affected, if at all, apps become OS neutral. What do we have to lose, if app neutrality does come in to effect?
Whether it is a ploy to save a dying company, or questions like why iOS and Android should do away with their competitive advantage, is for the OS owners to worry. What I am trying to figure out is, why is there resistance from consumers, who stand to benefit the most.

P.S. I use an iphone 5, since Jan 2013, it being my 1st Apple product. The last Blackberry, I used was the Bold 9900 and moved to iOS because of the lack of apps on BB OS and also because of the availability of Iphone cases over BB, in all price ranges :rotfl:,

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Leaving aside all the ridicule and personal opinions about Chen's intellect, I would be genuinely interested in knowing, how, we as consumers, would be affected, if at all, apps become OS neutral. What do we have to lose, if app neutrality does come in to effect?
Whether it is a ploy to save a dying company, or questions like why iOS and Android should do away with their competitive advantage, is for the OS owners to worry. What I am trying to figure out is, why is there resistance from consumers, who stand to benefit the most.

P.S. I use an iphone 5, since Jan 2013, it being my 1st Apple product. The last Blackberry, I used was the Bold 9900 and moved to iOS because of the lack of apps on BB OS and also because of the availability of Iphone cases over BB, in all price ranges :rotfl:,

I will answer with a cliche. Jack of all trades master of none.

Let me take the best example I can find and one I used often back when I still gave a hoot about BlackBerry. My Bank of America app. My iOS app is fast, fluid, no stutters. It's got several settings and alerts that I use to monitor activity because it's the one I use online. Every day, I get a notification of balance. I get notification of any deductions and transactions. I get notifications of activity such as access from a new browser.

Those are not available on the web app.

I want my experience to remain as it is.

In order to code universally for BlackBerry, Android, and WP, the developer will have to test and support four times as many platforms as now.

Now extrapolate that to a small developer who might be a fan kicking off a brand new "hey this would be cool" idea. That places a burden on that developer.

Here it is....developers, take care of your own. Your customer base. I'm your customer. Develop for me. I don't care one iota that BlackBerry tossed native developers into the waste bin with their "better Android than Android" idea. Now that that's done, don't come after mine. Don't penalise the "hey! This would be cool!" guy who might create something for me because you, BlackBerry, dug yourself into a hole with "tools not toys" battle cries. So is Netflix suddenly a required tool? Or is this an opportunistic new battle cry now that the hole is so deep that a ladder is needed to get out?

I chose iPhone in no small part because of its ecosystem. Don't come pooching into it, BlackBerry, the way you have gone pooching Android. You didn't value your developers. Oh well. Tools not toys I guess. Continue your instructions to your customers to put a shortcut in the home screen. Leave my app developers alone. Your co CEOs said apps didn't matter. Your current CEO respects developers so little that they espouse the pooching of apps. That's your bed now, Blackberry. Lie in it.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I will answer with a cliche. Jack of all trades master of none.

Let me take the best example I can find and one I used often back when I still gave a hoot about BlackBerry. M.

All this is relevant for the developer, not the end user. Banking apps, Netflix app, etc which are developed by the inhouse developers, will have to develop an app for all platforms, without any personal bias or choice .
IMO, that will be very good for end-users.
Hypothetically, if your banking app was a mess on iOS and it worked great on BB and Android and Windows, you had 3 more options to choose from , rather than 2 now. And the more choices we have, the better it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice