- 16,237 Posts
Court rules that cops can compel you to surrender your fingerprint to unlock iPhone
A Virginia Beach Circuit Court judge ruled that law enforcement officials can compel you to unlock your smartphone with a fingerprint, but that they can't force you to enter in your passcode or password to unlock your device. Judge Steven Frucci says that obtaining a fingerprint is like obtaining a DNA sample or a physical key, things that would have to be surrendered in an investigation anyways. Passcodes would be considered knowledge, and not a physical object, so they deserve more protection under the law.
Full story from the iMore Blog...
- 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM #2
- 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM #3
- By Shern EP Digital in forum IntroductionsReplies: 17Last Post: 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
- By Fortressfighter in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 10-30-2014, 06:45 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-30-2014, 05:49 PM